• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datejust T Swiss T dial original?

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 36mm Datejust dial. Any thoughts if it looks orginal?
Thanks in advance and let me know if you guys need further pictures!

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
@Nur-Uhr, thankyou for your quick reply and happy to hear that! Do you also know what reference this dial belonged to?

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
These dials were in Datejust with reference 16013 (TwoTone model) but also sometime in 16030 (Stainless steel with engine turned bezel)
Mostly in the era of the late 1970ies to the mid 1980ies

one thing I cannot clearl identify on the pics cause of lighting:
Crown and indices are "yellow gold" correct? The yellow gold tone is already little faded out to a very brighter yellow gold color?

If they are silver colored indices (and were also this color ;) ) than they are for 16014 Datejust and also 16030

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: McDuck888

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
@Nur-Uhr thankyou so much for all the info! They are silver colored indices and crown and where as well so that makes it 16014/16030. Do you happen to know if rafflesdials has any hands that match these references and that can be used on V3135?

Also will the rafflesdials 2824 datejust case with drilled lug holes match the above references?

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
OK silver colored = than this dial was originally for 16014 / 16030 Datejust models.

The raffles case for 2824 movement will not 1:! fit to take a 3135 movement inside.
Therefore the case need reworks to make this possible.

Matching hands for this dial in combination with a clone 3135 mvt. you will have to ask raffles if they have some.

When you plan to build a 16014 or 16030 = you can go the route with a 2824-2 movement.
This 2824 movements are working 1:1 identically like the 3035 movement a 160xx has inside.
Same date - setting direction and so on ;) So you would be period correct.
When you plan this with 2824 mvt. than you can take Tudor dress hands = top notch. Alternative raffles longer post hands.

If you are planning a sapphire crystal 162xx Datejust build, a 3135 would be period correct of course.

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
@Nur-Uhr , thanks again for the reply! I emailed raffles regarding the hands. Do you think this dial would be suitable for a
sapphire crystal 162xx built or better to look for other dial? This since raffles 1824 case has saphire crystal and is more leaning to a 162xx built I think? Downside of using 2824-2 movement as well is that I would need to cut the Rolex feet of the dial right? Where VR3135 is more plug and play on that part, maybe also no need for datewheel overlay, I'm ok with closed 6/9. What you think about this datewheel is it really bad or ok?

Noted regarding reworking of the 2824 case, I read some details about this in this topic. Seems some people can fit it others need to rework, might depend on thickness of the VR3135 clone? https://forum.replica-watch.info/th...24-holes-case-questions-h4-questions.9530763/

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Yes, you can rework a raffles-2824 case to take a 3135 inside. It is doable.

clone 3135 movement: I would suggest to contact the user "thrillofhunt" and take a look into M2M section for a 3135 clone.
He support absolute high quality and nearly clean 3135 movement where you have no "dead on arrival" when you get such movement.

This dial in your first post would not be correct for a sapphire crstal Datejust.
You see these dials sometime "wrong" added with "16200.... 16030..." BUT this is wrong. Same size and same diameter - but period correct only for plexi-crystal Datejust references.
These dial was ONLY used as tapestry dial (silver, grey, gold) in 162xx builds = but only as tepestry not normal one.

I would suggest to use another dial, when you are planning to build a 16200 / 16220 / 16234 Datejust.
Better a "T Swiss 25" or also "Swiss" dial and for example these "designs" for these models to be period correct.

26250408-rt36bsilzvnva4frov3nrpgt-ExtraLarge.jpg

20154492-9jdothr44b1dlc8slpjm0g96-ExtraLarge.jpg

21393762-34ddhnejlq64ylakjimjy9bz-ExtraLarge.jpg

23065746-qwa5tigiurqg1lakm2jiohfc-ExtraLarge.jpg

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
@Nur-Uhr , thanks again for the fast and extensive reply! Glad to hear raffles 2824 case is a good option. I did just get the reply from raffles that he does not have any hands that fit 3135. Regarding the case I think raffles 2824 is the best option in the price range up to 100USD I think right? Or is there other options if use 3135? And do you recommend a place for the correct 3135 hands, like shown in built bellow?

Regarding the built I think I will use this dial first since this is all I have currently. I can always swap dials later. I think for that reason going 3135 is best since swapping dials in the future and I don't have to alter the dials feet. I will note the dials you send I especially like the black one!

Further on I will contact "thrillofhunt" regarding the movement thank you for the suggestion!
For now my built inspiration is this but then with sapphire since that is what raffles comes with.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
You are absolute welcome.

I have a suggestion for you.
Build the linkes watch from your post above. It is a 16030 you have posted - BUT
When you build a 16220 = identical to a 16030 BUT with sapphire crystal and really a rare reference
- you can can take your dial ;) No one will ever notice - who is so deep into these "detailed details" :D

Than you can do the following:
DONE with an absolute stunning watch afterwards. :)

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
@Nur-Uhr, that sounds like a great suggestion and I agree with you no one is as deep into these detailed details as the people building watches themself haha. You seem to have a hand of it yourself!
Your shopping list is defiantly the way to the dream watch! I think I will start and upgrade step by step. First movement and case and see if it all goes together and runs. Regarding the hands do you think these would work, I would love to watch the budget do you think these are ok? Or are there better options on alie in the -30USD range?

Thanks again you really kickstarted the part ordering process :D

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
The linked hands from ALI are also nice to judge from the pictures in the add. For a vintage build of course usable.

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
@Nur-Uhr, thankyou I will try the hands out and let you know here how they are with a pic of the finished built ofcourse! Do you happen to know what price range markiemark's bracelets are I couldn't find any prices in his topic. I guess they are out of my range for now but would like to confirm :)

Also would the 16220 built from above also work with fluted bezel? I think I will try out the fluted stock bezel from Rafflesdials case first before I upgrade. Since he does not offer the engine turned bezel from the 16030, he only offers the Airking engine turned bezel style.

Thanks and have a good weekend!

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
By the way does anybody know if its possible to remove the blackness/oxidation? From the 8 o clock marker? Easy to see in photo 3. Thanks!

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
@Nur-Uhr this is a very interesting thread, thanks so much for sharing. I have a 16233 vs3135 in a modded Raffles case but have another dial I’d like to use for a similar build.

Would it be possible to use an ETA 2824-2 for this second 16233 without having to mod the raffles case? And can I use gen hands or would this potentially cause problems with this movement?

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
What model are you looking to build? I have some experience that I can give you some input on too. As mentioned above, you can do the 2824-raffle for the older style five digits-DJ, but if you want to build a watch with a 3135 movement inside, I think it's best to buy a South-Korean case that is on eBay. The case fits the movement and dials directly. No modding is needed.

However, if you want to go with the affordable round, buying a raffle case and putting a 3135 movement inside, then I recommend you read the following posts:

3135-raffle info

custom movement ring for 3135-raffle case

The following links are sale posts by Pompomporin. Still, if you read the description section, you can see that the everyday things people did to the raffle cases are reshaping and modding the interior (inside) of the chance to take the 3135 dials. Also, if you look at the dial closely, not all are evenly spaced. However, it's much better than the stock case. The case back will be pushed against the rotor of the 3135. The though the watch will run, its rotor is not spinning, resulting in you wearing it but no power going into the movement as it should. Therefore, you must manually wind the watch every couple of days.

Raffle case shaped and movement fitting 1
Raffle Case shaped and movement fitting 2

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
What model are you looking to build? I have some experience that I can give you some input on too. As mentioned above, you can do the 2824-raffle for the older style five digits-DJ, but if you want to build a watch with a 3135 movement inside, I think it's best to buy a South-Korean case that is on eBay. The case fits the movement and dials directly. No modding is needed.

However, if you want to go with the affordable round, buying a raffle case and putting a 3135 movement inside, then I recommend you read the following posts:

3135-raffle info

custom movement ring for 3135-raffle case

The following links are sale posts by Pompomporin. Still, if you read the description section, you can see that the everyday things people did to the raffle cases are reshaping and modding the interior (inside) of the chance to take the 3135 dials. Also, if you look at the dial closely, not all are evenly spaced. However, it's much better than the stock case. The case back will be pushed against the rotor of the 3135. The though the watch will run, its rotor is not spinning, resulting in you wearing it but no power going into the movement as it should. Therefore, you must manually wind the watch every couple of days.

Raffle case shaped and movement fitting 1
Raffle Case shaped and movement fitting 2
Thank you! I actually own the first linked Pompom build

I am looking at other options for building another one identical to it, but with a blue dial. However, I’m not tied to having a vs3135 movement inside if I can get a Swiss ETA 2824.

Do you see any downsides to using a 2824 raffles case with no more and a Swiss ETA 2824 movement for this type of build?

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
@Nur-Uhr this is a very interesting thread, thanks so much for sharing. I have a 16233 vs3135 in a modded Raffles case but have another dial I’d like to use for a similar build.

Would it be possible to use an ETA 2824-2 for this second 16233 without having to mod the raffles case? And can I use gen hands or would this potentially cause problems with this movement?
No, the gen hands would not fit onto the ETA 2824-2 without any modding of the actual hands, which is not recommended because it could lead to broken hands.

m/h/s
2836/24 hand size 90/150/25
3135 hand size 95/140/22

As you can see, the movements have different hands sizes, and therefore it will not fit!

However, if you want to put the 2824-2 into the raffle case, there is no problem. The only problem is that your dial is not correctly fitted, and there is no way to do the dial inside without modding the case. Or you can spend the $450 to buy an S. Korean case, which will take the 3135 movements and dials fine.

Also, if you want to do the 16233 with the ETA2824, I recommend you buy the Tudor-Dress hands; it fits the movement and is much better than any reps available at the movement.

Reactions: Nur-Uhr