• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clean Factory New Submariner Series Review (Incl. Comparison Pics vs Gen)

mnkoshka

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/12/09
Which leads to my question, would sending a CF crystal to PROF for AR coating help with the clarity in general or is that just in terms of just reflecting light and the haziness would still stay? My Noob Daytona crystal is crystal clear (better than any VSF I have had) along with my ZF RO and PPF Nautilus. I want that level of clarity cause the dial is very nice, but you can barely tell with this weak crystal.

If you are going to spend the money and wait for lead times to AR a crystal maybe just save a little more and get a good second hand gen crystal. Nothing beats the gen. Every prof AR crystal Ive bought has either had a crooked cyclops or the AR scratched and wore off easily so I gave up and just went gen every time, the crystals aren’t cheap but there’s no comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
Clean or VSF... still trying to choose :) VSF owners insisting that VSF is amazingly gen like, are confusing me....

any Clean + Gen owners that can make a mini review? In terms of feel on wrist, winding, crown locking feel, bezel movement etc.

Reactions: LaraA

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
Clean or VSF... still trying to choose :) VSF owners insisting that VSF is amazingly gen like, are confusing me....

any Clean + Gen owners that can make a mini review? In terms of feel on wrist, winding, crown locking feel, bezel movement etc.
I've owned both and all differences are minor which means if this is your first sub it reallyvdowsnt matter you will be satisfied either way. In fact you could buy any of the subs available over 300 usd and be more than happy. Pick one and enjoy it

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Reactions: J_rwi

tlabowski01

Known Member
4/9/19
I've owned both and all differences are minor which means if this is your first sub it reallyvdowsnt matter you will be satisfied either way. In fact you could buy any of the subs available over 300 usd and be more than happy. Pick one and enjoy it

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

This is so true IMO. When I first got in the rep game, I was overly obsessed with buying what other people though was the best sub. Took me as one time, buying/selling/buying, to figure that I should just buy what looks good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BobMartian

7five7

31/12/19
Has anyone put Gen hands on a Clean Sub? Wondering how the white Lume of the dial matches with Gen hands under daylight, and in the dark?

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Has anyone put Gen hands on a Clean Sub? Wondering how the white Lume of the dial matches with Gen hands under daylight, and in the dark?

Surely there would be a mismatch. It is just a question of how serious the colour variation is. Unless the rep maker uses the exact same lume Rolex is using otherwise such problem can't be avoided.

Reactions: KJ2020

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Anyone knows what might be the issue the gen crown wont screw fully down on Clean big gap so basically crown stays still in open position when screwed down fully. I know ZZF and others take it as a straight swap.

Watchmaker said the construction is different as the reason and I’ve read a lot but no one seems to have such an issue with the later year models of any factory.

And gen tube probably means messing with the case I assume rethreading and countersinking needed thats what I’ve read.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
And gen tube probably means messing with the case I assume rethreading and countersinking needed thats what I’ve read.

Yes, that's exactly the problem. It comes from the rep tube has a different structure from the gen. particularly at the bottom. If you look closely, the thread structure of the gen crown is not the same as rep too.
You can't avoid countersinking and retapping if you want to install the gen parts to give a flush sitting of the crown onto the mid case.

Reactions: Kalev007

7five7

31/12/19
Surely there would be a mismatch. It is just a question of how serious the colour variation is. Unless the rep maker uses the exact same lume Rolex is using otherwise such problem can't be avoided.

Yea im sure it’s not a perfect match just wondering how close it is.

c.dimitri

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/11/19
Quick update:
Rolex Submariner no date gen vs CF weight (incl. all links) comparison;

Gen: 155 gr (5.5 oz)

CF: 156 gr
159a93c83fb8ab439cc9a3ac9f7afa0f.jpg

Reactions: BobMartian

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Gen crown gap. Its not fully closed.

This has always been an issue. Gen crown won't screw down sitting flush onto the case.
If you look closely inside the crown, the thread structure between the gen and rep is different, that's why the gen crown won't screw down all the way.
Only the gen spec tube will mate with the gen crown to give a flush lock. Otherwise just stick with the rep crown/tube combination.

up2wind

Supporter
Certified
9/6/19
The 116613lb pic is a gen watch reference to that photoshot angle. One is double rehaut model and another is single.

They are not flushed either. So it is normal for that small gap, unless he is talking about huge gap with a gen crown on a rep case.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
VSF is always consistent with their QC and flaws. Pity that they will give up making any more Rollies if the rumour is real.