• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CLEAN Factory 124060 No Date Submariner New Release

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
Nothing happened to the AR coating. There was a ghost shape where the cyclops had been but it cleaned off easily with acetone.

Did you do something else to the watch? How is the lume holding up? Time keeping?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Did you do something else to the watch? How is the lume holding up? Time keeping?

The lume is fine. I can read my watch in bed all through the night. Yes, I wear a watch 24/7. I have done nothing else to it. I might add more gen parts if some become available.
Timekeeping is perfect but I put a gen movement in mine. The VR3230 I took out tested really well. It's very solid with no problems whatsoever. I'm pretty impressed with it, but I've only bench tested it and never used it in a watch.

Reactions: Cadows

Abudhabi

Horology Curious
14/1/22
Hi, I have the 126610 LV and have the same issue with the crystal (no minute markers showing around the edge) I've checked on Clark crystals and can't find a replacement (don't seem to stock) are there any other options available, didn't want to pay prof prices. Thanks

jkent83

Certified
3/1/22
Oregon
How do you go about stretching the bezel spring? The bezel on my CF has a little back play. Also it has a slight movement/play when pressing down on the bezel. Is this typical for CF bezels? If not, does anyone know of a quick fix?

As stated by a number of people, the CF no date bezel can sometimes be frustratingly loose. I just adjusted my bezel springs and this completely resolved this issue. I thought I would try to give a short guide for those considering it.

Step 1: Using a case opener knife (blade wrapped in electrical tape to avoid chance of scratches), I placed blade between case and bezel. A gentle rotation easily popped the bezel off of the case.

Step 2: Once the bezel is removed, you will find 4 indentations in the case. Three of these have ball bearings sitting on top of springs and the other one has a metal piece (I believe this is what makes the clicking sound) sitting on top of a fourth spring. After setting aside the three ball bearings and the metal bezel click piece, I used watch tweezers to remove and gently stretch all four springs by about 20%.

Step 3: Place the stretched springs back in the case recesses (probably best to make sure you place each spring back in its original recess, as I believe that the spring for the metal bezel click piece seemed a different length than the other three ball bearing springs).

Step 4: Place the ball bearings and metal bezel click piece back on top of the springs (I actually found it easier to place the spring for the bezel click piece inside the piece and then flip them both into the case recess).

Step 5: Applying equal pressure to both sides of the bezel, snap the bezel back onto the case of the watch.

Step 6: Enjoy your new and improved bezel click action.

Be very careful when you remove the bezel to make sure that you neither damage the bezel or lose springs, ball bearings, or the metal bezel click piece. They are all extremely small and want to fly in every direction when you pop off the bezel.

Hope this is helpful and sorry I don’t have any pics or video.

couvreur

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
29/6/12
Thanks for the tutorial. I might try this myself, just a bit afraid to break it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkent83

Certified
3/1/22
Oregon
Thanks for the tutorial. I might try this myself, just a bit afraid to break it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the right tools, it’s a pretty easy fix that I would certainly recommend. Main issue is making sure you do it somewhere you can’t lose the springs or bearings. Last thing you want to do is be crawling around on the floor looking for a .5mm ball bearing. The increased resistance in the bezel does a lot to make the watch feel more substantial and reduces the number of times I have to crank the bezel back to 12 due to accidental rotation.

Reactions: LDWATCH

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
ju2THS.jpg

just love it

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
Thanks! Here’s a quick comparison shot with my VSF 126610ln - exact same placement and centering under a macro lens. there is indeed a sort of milky ring around the crystal edge whereas on the VSF it’s less noticeable. I imagine if this bothers folks it could probably be resolved by swapping the crystal gasket for a translucent one?

d7eb1d8c70f9914b79bd99aabdf665bb.jpg

2f1ff864b5dee7da95b60d353265e848.jpg

0aa49821ffcae17885823c7dd6fa806b.jpg

Any news if the factory has fixed this crystal issue yet?
I want a 124060 but don't care enough to find a better crystal and get it swapped out

Reactions: Doc.77

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
Any news if the factory has fixed this crystal issue yet?
I want a 124060 but don't care enough to find a better crystal and get it swapped out

I sold and bought another trying to get a more aligned rehaut, and the crystal looks fine on the new one so I’m guessing later batches are good now.

Reactions: Doc.77

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
Are lugs better now too?

The lugs are fine - it’s the SELs where I’ve seen some inconsistencies. The 10 o’clock lug is a hair more flush than the other three. Once I decide on a set of diemakers stones I’ll try the mod that Triplock did to file down the SEL a bit. Not noticeable on the wrist tho, only if you’re really eagle eyed and you’re actually feeling the height difference with a fingernail or something.

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
The lugs are fine - it’s the SELs where I’ve seen some inconsistencies. The 10 o’clock lug is a hair more flush than the other three. Once I decide on a set of diemakers stones I’ll try the mod that Triplock did to file down the SEL a bit. Not noticeable on the wrist tho, only if you’re really eagle eyed and you’re actually feeling the height difference with a fingernail or something.

To me VSF lugs look much better/different than CF, at least on these pics above

Join3d

19/8/16
EU

CF’s lugs are fat on the upper side, VSF’s lugs are more thin on the upper side. If you compare lugs with gen, VSF’s lugs are better. CF’s are totally wrong.

Reactions: Cadows

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13

I did a profile comparison of the CF and VSF 114x in another thread, and the thing with CF is that they don’t have as much of an angle on the side profile of the case. So the result is that the overall top width of the CF case is like 0.2mm wider than the VSF, leading to the slightly chunkier look.

I’ve got a CF 124060 and VSF 126610 which I’ll do a similar photo of later, but here’s the shot I did for the 114060 (same focal length and positioning so there’s no lens distortion):

ee10d5f5ea22c493b242c97525695871.jpg

I might actually do a bezel, crystal and internals swap over to a VSF126610 case as an experiment to make a sleeker looking 124060 rep… just for fun :)