• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

To GEN or not to GEN?

xkrazymattx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/13
The wife has pretty much given me the OK spend about 4k on a gen... and as that was music to my ears at first.. the more I think about it, the more I am actually really confused.

Ultimately I am looking at a Breitling Super Avenger, White Baton Dial. That has been my grail for... pretty much a while now.

Basically I'm asking for input on anyone who actually has spent the $$$ on going gen after a rep.

Was it worth it???? Do you really feel the difference??? or Did you wish you just stuck with more reps??

Any advice is appreciated.

Omegafan22

26/2/15
Depends on the watch and you since you are the one who is going to wear it. I own reps and a gen. Also saw a lot of expensive watches. Experiencing this i would not buy a gen Panerai as the reps are incredibly good. Most Breitlings however have flaws. Flaws you will notice. Fit and finish on the rep is nowhere like the gen. If you want to go cheap you can make a Franken exchanging bezel and dial to gen.

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
The wife has pretty much given me the OK spend about 4k on a gen... and as that was music to my ears at first.. the more I think about it, the more I am actually really confused.

Ultimately I am looking at a Breitling Super Avenger, White Baton Dial. That has been my grail for... pretty much a while now.

Basically I'm asking for input on anyone who actually has spent the $$$ on going gen after a rep.

Was it worth it???? Do you really feel the difference??? or Did you wish you just stuck with more reps??

Any advice is appreciated.

YES..it's worth it. I bought a GEN Rolex after having a few REPs. That is the only premium watch I wanted a GEN of becasue it is the most replicated. Plus becasue I do have a GEN. I don't feel bad buying REPS but I don't seem to keep them long.

YEs there is a difference in the way I feel wearing a GEN vs REP....an $8000 difference or I would have sold it and just bought REPS.

Buy your Brietling and then a few REPs. Me I wanted the ultimate GEN in Rolex as it holds its value (as do REPS) better than most brands. I wanted to buy a Breitling GEN but I did not see the value in a $4000 watch that would be worth far less and may be less hardy than a Rolex.

I agree with the PAM statement. They are VERY good REPS.

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
Do breitling Gens not hold their value as much as others?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Roller

INMATE
16/1/15
Do breitling Gens not hold their value as much as others?

Not as much as a Rolex if only because those looking for Breitlings are far fewer in numbers. Look for the watch you want used on Chrono24 or do a search. You will see asking prices which should give you all you need to know.

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
Gen Submariner. Believe me, you'll never regret it. Visit the Rolex forum for a quality pre owned one.

Reactions: xgeryx

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
So I just spent all day at multiple ADs looking at numerous watches. No one seems willing to budge in price... is that standard with high end watches? This will be my first higher end purchase.

bRONX

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/13
So I just spent all day at multiple ADs looking at numerous watches. No one seems willing to budge in price... is that standard with high end watches? This will be my first higher end purchase.

yea thats very typical of ADs, if you HAVE to have it then go for it... otherwise there are some very good breitling reps

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
yea thats very typical of ADs, if you HAVE to have it then go for it... otherwise there are some very good breitling reps

I've had all the Breit reps... SOA, SOSF, Avenger, BCE, SA...

I think ive actually talked myself out of the SA though... I spotted a very nice SOA Chrono that was just beautiful on a polished pro2 bracelet... I'm just torn

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I say go gen if you can, especially if its a watch you really desire to keep long term. Also be sure you can afford the watch. What I mean by that is never finance a watch, that's just stupid. If you can spend the funds without effecting other areas in your life then go for it.

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
I say go gen if you can, especially if its a watch you really desire to keep long term. Also be sure you can afford the watch. What I mean by that is never finance a watch, that's just stupid. If you can spend the funds without effecting other areas in your life then go for it.

Absolutely, that's how you get yourself in some serious trouble

malevolent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/1/15
If it's your holy grail, you have the money, and trust yourself, I would go gen.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
But what if he doesn't trust himself?? Who should he trust??

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
If it's your holy grail, you have the money, and trust yourself, I would go gen.
You know... funny thing... After going out and about shopping today looking at a bunch of gens... I thought the white baton SA was my grail... it has been for a very long time... Tried on a super avenger one of the AD's had left... since the SA2's have come out... and it just didn't seem to have the same luster ... not sure what happened

xkrazymattx

17/3/13
I tried on so many different gen's today... I think I confused myself... how my wife came along with me and didnt yank me out of the stores... I have no idea

gackt13

13/8/14
Definitely get a gen if you can, for a few reasons:

1. You will never have to worry about the reliability of the gen movements. Buy and wear the gen watch with a peace of mind, knowing that if anything happens (which is highly unlikely) you can always bring the watch back to get serviced/repaired.

2. Never have to worry about getting called out for wearing a rep.

3. You can actually choose other various models of a brand that isn't repped.

4. The quality and finish of movements in the open casebacks are totally in another league compared to reps. This also applies to the whole watch in general, especially when you view them from under the loupe.

Roller

INMATE
16/1/15
Gen Submariner. Believe me, you'll never regret it. Visit the Rolex forum for a quality pre owned one.
Automatic Currency. The cost to wear a Sub is relatively low.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk