• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cal 1887 41mm or Day/Date 43mm?

hybryd131

Horology Curious
26/6/13
So here's my dilemma. I'm looking to get my first Rep and dip my toes into the world of watches. I will probably be wearing it every day so I want it to be something I can wear at work (business casual) and on the weekends. Right now I'm split between the Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 1887 Chronograph 41mm and the Day Date Carrera Calibre 16. I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks now and have bounced back and forth between the two. I thought that you guys out there with more experience might have some advice on my decision. They're both gorgeous watches and my indecision comes down to the versatility of the watch. This purchase will probably be my only watch until I get a better feel for them so I want it to be able to wear it all the time.

Carrera Calibre 1887 Chronograph 41mm
01_1presentingcal1887rep_zps4d126db5.jpg

Carrera Calibre 16 Chronograph 43mm
th00008.jpg

I really like the chrome numbering on the face of the Calibre 16 as well as the red accents on the chronograph needle and pusher. It definitely makes it the sportier watch and gives it a unique look. On the other hand, the 1887 is a much classier look due to the cleaner face and lack of a tachy bezel which might be more appropriate in work/formal settings. My wrists aren't small (7 in), but I'm a bit anxious about the 43mm Calibre 16 looking big on me. The Calibre 1887 would be a bit more modest at 41mm.

I've read all the research regarding rep vs gen already and am taking that into consideration as well (point for the Cal 16). I think I would be fine with the off sized tachymeter on the Cal 1887 if I got it. Since I don't have much experience in the watch department, what is your guys' opinions on the versatility of these two and which one I should go for?

I also want to give a shout out to members SSTEEL and scavenger for great reviews on these reps. Thanks for the help. Check them out in the links below:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/black-dial-stainless-137840?t=137840
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/review-tag-heuer-131962?t=131962

DreambreaX

Renowned Member
26/11/12
day date cal 16. i have both rep and gen for this. i am really satisfied with the gen 11/10

while the rep is 8/10

still great with that price. u will not regret it.

calibre 1887 tachymeter writing makes me sick. its too big

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
The 1887 movement looks nothing like the A7750 that they put inside. It looks pretty poor to be honest.

Go for the Day/Date. For a few small mods you can get it looking pretty good. The badge isn't half as noticable to the eye.

hybryd131

Horology Curious
26/6/13
Thanks for the advice. Just placed my order for the Day/Date Cal 16. It will be my first rep so I'm getting pretty damn excited.

Ballface

20/6/12
^ We all know that feeling. Ah, to be new again :) Good luck, and congrats on a great pick!

Biodom

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/10
Thanks for the advice. Just placed my order for the Day/Date Cal 16. It will be my first rep so I'm getting pretty damn excited.

Good choice.
Between both gen, I went to the 1887.
But for the rep, I will go to the day date without doubt (even if I did not already have the 1887 gen).