• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Caution when paying with a credit-card on TD websites.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
@eBoy Under the "cards" tab I have a section saying "get a digital card for free". Try searching for "digital card" in the help centre. It could be they can't do so because of laws in your country.
I'll ask support why that is... I'm curious now. 😂

I think indeed it's possible that they chose not to offer digital cards, at least for now, due to more stringent EU regulation they'd have to adhere to. That's my guess.

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I always use PayPal as well. Never had an issue.
The problem is that not all TDs offer PP though. A few do however, some only after you already established a relationship with them.

mac427

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/23
texas
I got hacked by a Nigerian scammer several days ago while purchasing a Submariner. I have a CITI Bank Visa. The company caught it immediately and overnighted a new card. No harm done but I appreciate the excellent advice found here.

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I got hacked by a Nigerian scammer several days ago while purchasing a Submariner. I have a CITI Bank Visa. The company caught it immediately and overnighted a new card. No harm done but I appreciate the excellent advice found here.
Glad that it got resolved for you...

Phishing attack?

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Yes indeed.
Dann. I've been using the internet for almost 30 years now. But I'm proud to say, I fell for a phishing attack only once. In the early days of PayPal.

Also without consequences, but it was a good lesson... Nothing ever since.

robbieg83

Horology Curious
6/2/23
Oklahoma
Talk about good luck! Glad you were able to make it out of that ordeal intact!

Thanks to everyone what provided insight for the great advice on how to pay for these items with as little risk a possible!

Rob

Clevo

Horology Curious
20/8/18
What site were you buying from ?

Rid-dit-dit-duh-doo

18/10/18
Wise (the new name for Transferwise) have single use CC numbers. Get a Wise account and a virtual card, everyone should have one of their accounts anyway since they allow you to send and accept funds in any currency, it's like having a bank account in any country you like.
Fantastic tip! Will definitely use on my next purchase.

mac427

26/1/23
texas
What site were you buying from ?
Trusty, but I mistakenly bit on a fake scammer site when paying for my watch. Everything worked out as my Sub is in transit through UPS and is due on Tuesday March 7.

julius11

19/4/20
Use Transferwise or Revolut if possible, one of the safest options I'd presume.

ScrewDropper

Looking Around
25/3/23
UK
In light of recent events (multiple threads about sudden charges on credit-cards that were ONLY used on TD websites) I decided to do a short write-up of why you should always take your precautions.

This might be common sense to some, but let me just state the obvious: You are purchasing illegal products from a seller based in CHINA. This isn't amazon. No payment processor will knowingly allow these transactions to go through.

Typically when you're filling out a form for CC payments on TD websites, this will just be a basic contact form that sends your full CC details (non-encrypted) directly to your TD. They will then take your details and fill them in on an external shill-website to process your payments. Mod edit. The CC processor itself is most likely also shady as f* :)

Anyone working the TD website can fully see the entire CC-details and theoretically use it as they'd please. It's also incredibly vulnerable to any entry-hacker setting up a sniffer and just grabbing your CC information off their site.

A regular CC-payment gateway would encrypt most numbers and only leave 4 digits visible to shopkeepers (for confirmation purposes). Most TD sites receive the entire number (expiration date + security numbers) and then process it on their end.

Would I want to send my CC information sent across the world unsecured, to some illegal operation in china selling counterfeit items? No. At least not my "main" credit-cards with a balance / credit.

If you absolutely MUST use a CC, then do yourself a favour and use a throw-away card or a one-time virtual card. There are plenty of services online for virtual cards, or prepaid cards.

Regardless; paying with a Banktransfer, WU, BTC or other methods will almost always give you a further discount on your purchase - so that's definitely also something you should consider, it really makes no sense paying extra just to use a CC.

This is not me saying that you can't trust the TD's here, I'm sure plenty of people are paying with CC without further issues. They are however big targets for hacking attempts, they could have a rogue employee, shady payment processors and lots of other reasons.

Just be cautious guys. It's so easy to get an additional CC card for one-time purposes and it would save you a lot of trouble SHOULD something happen.

Raddave
Thanks for this. I try and use Paypal, whenever possible but, when it's not, the throw-away CC is a great idea. I've not thought of doing that before

Reactions: LeBron

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Is there any risk in regular bank transfer ?

Definitely safer than using your regular (non-debit) credit card with actual credit on it.

Never heard of much abuse, but can't vouch for accounts ex-EU. Within EU, in order to charge a bank account, you need what's called a "SEPA direct debit mandate" which includes enough paperwork to make fraudulent charges rather hard and rare...

Reactions: LeBron and feiwatch

julius11

19/4/20
Is there any risk in regular bank transfer ?
Relatively small risk compared to credit card. However, it's nearly impossible to file a chargeback or something like it (would advise against it in our world anyways, but I know many use credit cards for this reason).

Reactions: LeBron