• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Caution when paying with a credit-card on TD websites.

Merdydirty

Known Member
Certified
24/4/22
San Francisco
I did bitcoin for a while, really did not enjoy the hassle of getting coins from third party... WU is just too much work for me. A dedicated low limit credit card is probably way to go at least for me.

ManTom

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/10/21
I’ve only ever done bank transfer - don’t feel comfortable using any other method personally

benballer

Known Member
Certified
15/3/19
Maybe disposable/single-use virtual Revolut card is a great option as well

MKWF

3/10/22
USA
Used Bitcoin twice, VISA once on 3 purchases...all 3 with 2 well known TDs.
This is a great thread with a lot of good info.
Thanks

Kartoffel

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
17/7/22
Europe - Norway - Sweden
In light of recent events (multiple threads about sudden charges on credit-cards that were ONLY used on TD websites) I decided to do a short write-up of why you should always take your precautions.

This might be common sense to some, but let me just state the obvious: You are purchasing illegal products from a seller based in CHINA. This isn't amazon. No payment processor will knowingly allow these transactions to go through.

Typically when you're filling out a form for CC payments on TD websites, this will just be a basic contact form that sends your full CC details (non-encrypted) directly to your TD. They will then take your details and fill them in on an external shill-website to process your payments. Mod edit. The CC processor itself is most likely also shady as f* :)

Anyone working the TD website can fully see the entire CC-details and theoretically use it as they'd please. It's also incredibly vulnerable to any entry-hacker setting up a sniffer and just grabbing your CC information off their site.

A regular CC-payment gateway would encrypt most numbers and only leave 4 digits visible to shopkeepers (for confirmation purposes). Most TD sites receive the entire number (expiration date + security numbers) and then process it on their end.

Would I want to send my CC information sent across the world unsecured, to some illegal operation in china selling counterfeit items? No. At least not my "main" credit-cards with a balance / credit.

If you absolutely MUST use a CC, then do yourself a favour and use a throw-away card or a one-time virtual card. There are plenty of services online for virtual cards, or prepaid cards.

Regardless; paying with a Banktransfer, WU, BTC or other methods will almost always give you a further discount on your purchase - so that's definitely also something you should consider, it really makes no sense paying extra just to use a CC.

This is not me saying that you can't trust the TD's here, I'm sure plenty of people are paying with CC without further issues. They are however big targets for hacking attempts, they could have a rogue employee, shady payment processors and lots of other reasons.

Just be cautious guys. It's so easy to get an additional CC card for one-time purposes and it would save you a lot of trouble SHOULD something happen.

Raddave

Bitcoin or just any other crypto is the best way to go then?

crashworkz

Gentleman
Certified
14/11/22
EU
Bitcoin or just any other crypto is the best way to go then?
I'm not sure that I would say it's the best way to go. Would just say use caution if paying with credit card (meaning using low limit, or one time digital credit card).

Reactions: Kartoffel

Nikzav

25/10/22
In light of recent events (multiple threads about sudden charges on credit-cards that were ONLY used on TD websites) I decided to do a short write-up of why you should always take your precautions.

This might be common sense to some, but let me just state the obvious: You are purchasing illegal products from a seller based in CHINA. This isn't amazon. No payment processor will knowingly allow these transactions to go through.

Typically when you're filling out a form for CC payments on TD websites, this will just be a basic contact form that sends your full CC details (non-encrypted) directly to your TD. They will then take your details and fill them in on an external shill-website to process your payments. Mod edit. The CC processor itself is most likely also shady as f* :)

Anyone working the TD website can fully see the entire CC-details and theoretically use it as they'd please. It's also incredibly vulnerable to any entry-hacker setting up a sniffer and just grabbing your CC information off their site.

A regular CC-payment gateway would encrypt most numbers and only leave 4 digits visible to shopkeepers (for confirmation purposes). Most TD sites receive the entire number (expiration date + security numbers) and then process it on their end.

Would I want to send my CC information sent across the world unsecured, to some illegal operation in china selling counterfeit items? No. At least not my "main" credit-cards with a balance / credit.

If you absolutely MUST use a CC, then do yourself a favour and use a throw-away card or a one-time virtual card. There are plenty of services online for virtual cards, or prepaid cards.

Regardless; paying with a Banktransfer, WU, BTC or other methods will almost always give you a further discount on your purchase - so that's definitely also something you should consider, it really makes no sense paying extra just to use a CC.

This is not me saying that you can't trust the TD's here, I'm sure plenty of people are paying with CC without further issues. They are however big targets for hacking attempts, they could have a rogue employee, shady payment processors and lots of other reasons.

Just be cautious guys. It's so easy to get an additional CC card for one-time purposes and it would save you a lot of trouble SHOULD something happen.

Raddave
I think it is better to pay on PAYPAL but need a forum user with seniority in some places I checked. That way the money is also guaranteed and there will be no theft.
Interesting

TingelTangelTom

God´s Gift to Mankind.
15/2/17
EU
I use revoluts feature of 1-time card numbers, you get a fresh valid visa number for each transaction, just for free, and as its a pre-paid card there is almost zero risk of chgarging more then agreed.

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
I use revoluts feature of 1-time card numbers, you get a fresh valid visa number for each transaction, just for free, and as its a pre-paid card there is almost zero risk of chgarging more then agreed.
Exactly. Use it also.
Works perfectly and no worries afterwards.

Just pay and forget!

Reactions: TingelTangelTom

Patj44

Nice guy
Supporter
Certified
10/11/22
Puretime is using US based processing. I think it’s fairly safe. I’ve had my card hacked from buying gas, online Flowers, restaurants etc. I’ve never purchased anything illegal, but I did get a great deal on a Rolex watch.

3/12/22
Country Rd, USA
citi (and i assume capitalone and other big boys) allow free virtual card numbers. seems to really limit the potential damage if the cc info is known by a baddie.
  • - set number expiration date
  • - set daily spend limit
  • - online deactivation when you no longer need the number
  • - easily see when the virtual number is charged against
  • - free, at least at citi bank
Good luck...

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Wise (the new name for Transferwise) have single use CC numbers. Get a Wise account and a virtual card, everyone should have one of their accounts anyway since they allow you to send and accept funds in any currency, it's like having a bank account in any country you like.

Reactions: Rid-dit-dit-duh-doo

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Wise (the new name for Transferwise) have single use CC numbers. Get a Wise account and a virtual card, everyone should have one of their accounts anyway since they allow you to send and accept funds in any currency, it's like having a bank account in any country you like.
Wow. Wise seem to suck at advertising and/or hiding their services to/from their existing customers. Been using Wise for years, but was unaware of this, so I opened a revolut account recently to use their 1-time cards.

Is it possible Wise only offer 1-time cards to US/UK customers, but not EU?

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
PS @trailboss99: I looked at my Wise app again. All I see are two card offers: Both are purely physical cards. Not even a regular multi-use virtual card is being offered ...

So this must indeed be a US or US/UK service only ... Or they're hiding it somewhere. 🤔

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
@eBoy Under the "cards" tab I have a section saying "get a digital card for free". Try searching for "digital card" in the help centre. It could be they can't do so because of laws in your country.