• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calling on 16570 experts

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Certified
24/2/19
a630cb4a800b1b6ba6ff23da56497daa.jpg

Spelunker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/21

Ahhhh I just noticed a problem with my watch :( The GMT hand seems to be touching the dial or atleast beeing to low in the handstack... This wasnt the case in the QC Video or Pictures and i did not notice it after receiving the watch.... It isnt really noticable until the 12 o clock index, where the gmt hand gets stuck at the marker :(
I messaged Tim about this, lets see how he will react.
Do you guys have any idea what i should do? also should i stop the movement from running?

Would really apreciate your advice here since this is pretty scary for me and i dont want my first rep broken after only 1 day of use :(

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Spelunker is it scratching the marker? Or does the GMT hand get stuck?

Mine did this to the minute hand. My minute hand used to get stuck to the hour hand when I first got it. It was an easy fix by a watch repairer. Back in 2006, I paid 25 dollars locally to fix (and my TD Eddie Lee reimbursed me 25 dollars).

Spelunker

16/2/21
sukwonee it seems to scratch every marker and gets sometime stuck on the 9 o clock and 12 o clock marker.

Sadly i never had a rep before and dont know to what kind of watch repairer i can go here in germany.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
sukwonee it seems to scratch every marker and gets sometime stuck on the 9 o clock and 12 o clock marker.

Sadly i never had a rep before and dont know to what kind of watch repairer i can go here in germany.

Yikes..... Did it already do cosmetic damage to the markers?

If that's the case, you should probably contact your TD to see what he can do for you. At the very least, he should be able to send you new hands and dial. He may ask you to send the watch back to him for a refund or replacement.

Me personally I just went to a local watch repairer. I just asked him if he could fix this and he said yes. He didn't even ask me if it was a rep or gen.

I know there are some watchmakers in the EU that work on reps (look in the watch repair section). Not sure how much they charge for something like this tho.

Spelunker

16/2/21

sukwonee i can only see a little smudge at the 12 o clock marker.... and now i cant unsee it anymore :( Whats your opinion on it? And did your local watch repairer also sell watches?

Do you think it would be better to stop the watch from turning with pulling the crown out to its furthest position?
Also asking KJ2020 here.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Spelunker yeah I would hack it so it won't do further damage and contact the TD to see what he can do for you.

My repairer didn't sell watches. It was just a hole in the wall place that I randomly found thru calling around.

Others will chime in I am sure but I am pretty sure this would be an easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing. However, since damage has been done to your dial, I would contact the dealer to see if he can at least send you a replacement dial and potentially pay for the cost of the repair. I am guessing he would prefer for you send the watch back for a refund or replacement though.

Sorry to see this on your first rep purchase. This isn't... normal. For me too, my exp 2 was the only rep that had issues upon arriving. All others I have had or still have didn't have issues.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
im not sure how the hand could fall down , it seems to me maybe the movement is loose and dropped down away from the dial ?

Spelunker

16/2/21
Raddave to me it seems that the distance from the red gmt hand is further away to the other hands, which all seem to be well above the hour markers on the dial. Also i did check for rattles, loose parts or screws and non of that is the case. I just noticed it this evening by chance.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
im not sure how the hand could fall down , it seems to me maybe the movement is loose and dropped down away from the dial ?

It could be the loose hand or pinion, maybe? I think that was the issue with mine.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
It could be the loose hand or pinion, maybe? I think that was the issue with mine.

could be i guess , interested in what he finds out

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ZwLLLF.jpg

Ahhhh I just noticed a problem with my watch :( The GMT hand seems to be touching the dial or atleast being to low in the handstack... This wasnt the case in the QC Video or Pictures and i did not notice it after receiving the watch.... It isnt really noticable until the 12 o clock index, where the gmt hand gets stuck at the marker :(

Would really apreciate your advice here since this is pretty scary for me and i dont want my first rep broken after only 1 day of use :(

Yeah it looks like the GMT hand has settled down. It could be for a few different reasons. The important thing is you should hack the watch as advised previously. The handstack on a rep ICHS GMT can be tricky to get all four hands to clear the dial, each other, and the crystal because the GMT hand has to clear raised markers. So it usually has to be bent slightly to an upward curve. You can see that yours is bent already.

So of course the movement and dial should be checked for proper anchoring to each other and to the case. After that, the GMT hand needs to be tweaked a little. That might involve squeezing the hand hole collar a little to make it tighter on the wheel post, re-pressing the GMT hand to a higher position on the wheel post, and bending the GMT hand up slightly more. These are all tweaks that everyone who works on rep GMTs faces almost every time. I've worked on dozens of these and it's few and far between that a set of hands goes on without some issue.

Regarding the 12 oclock lume plot, a very tiny amount of lume dilutor on a tiny brush will get rid of that little bit of discoloration. I'm putting some gold markers on a Hulk dial and one of them had a tiny red thread embedded in the lume plot. I had to eat into the lume a little with a needle to dig it out and I left several rows of dark marks. Using the technique above I smoothed it out to an acceptable result. Alcohol can also be used in a tiny amount.

So unfortunately the watch is going to have to go to someone who can do what I've described above. The good news is it's a very easy fix and shouldn't cost much. This type of thing is not uncommon when dealing with reps. It's pretty rare to get one and not have any issues at all for its whole life.

Reactions: Spelunker

Spelunker

16/2/21
Thanks for the analysation of the problem KJ2020
Sadly i got following message from Fat Panda:
"Watch hands are only put on by press-on, friction, any sudden shock or vibration to the watch can move the hands. This is not something covered by warranty. Most likely this happened during shipping.

You need to get the hands reset by a watchsmith. They remove the movement, pull off the hands, and then put them back on. Any watchsmith can do it.

If you cannot find a watchsmith, you can either do it yourself, or send the watch back to china at your risk."

i am still a bit sad about the fact that it broke already on the first one :(
I guess i have to find a watchsmith now that is willing to work on this.
Please let me know if anyone of you knows german watchsmithes that work on reps.