• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Calling on 16570 experts

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
KJ2020 one stupid question for you.

How do you remove the crystal without removing the bezel or opening the caseback?

I thought I had to take the movement out and use a press to pop the crystal. Maybe there is an easier way for this model?

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

How do you remove the crystal without removing the bezel or opening the caseback?

I thought I had to take the movement out and use a press to pop the crystal. Maybe there is an easier way for this model?

well ive removed crystals using a puffer , but you got to remove the caseback to remove the crown first

Reactions: sukwonee

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
well ive removed crystals using a puffer , but you got to remove the caseback to remove the crown first

Haha yep I figured. Maybe I misread what KJ2020 said. Thought he said the crystal gaskets can be accessed without opening the bezel or the caseback.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Yes there is. On the 16570 (gen and rep), the bezel acts as the crystal retaining ring. Just prying up the bezel will ususlly bring the crystal and the gasket with it. Then just pop them apart with both thumbs. If the gasket and crystal don't come up with bezel, just insert a razor blade below the gasket and work your way around lifting it up. Or use a piece of gorilla tape on the crystal. It's just sitting on the case.

To get the bezel off, tape up the case lugs and on the case around the bezel. Carefully set the edge of a new razor blade exactly in the joint between the case and bezel. Gently tap the blade into the joint with a jeweler's hammer. Take care not to let the blade pop out of the joint between taps. A gap will begin to open up. Work your way around the bezel, opening up the gap until it's wide enough to insert a good quality smooth edged case knife. I always put a piece of thin plastic like a dial protector against the case while prying the bezel up with the case knife, even though the case is taped. No need to dent up your case!

Cover your case with something to keep dust and debris out your dial area until the re-install. Put the gasket on the crystal first, then set the assembled two parts onto the case. Rotate the cyclops to perfect placement over the dial window. Set the 6 marker on the bezel centered on tbe cyclops and the crown and push it down slightly so it's snug and wont rotate.

Now it's time for the press. Use a lever crystal press not a screw type on this model. Begin pressing and attempt to level the bezel initially - don't let it continue going down only on one side. Press it home and done. If the alignment isn't perfect don't despair. As many of these as I've done it still happens to me sometimes. You have to start over completely and re-do it if you can't live with it.

I went through the entire process on this watch TWICE and it still is not acceptable. I need to take it apart again, I just haven't gotten around to it. The bezel is off CCW, all the markers are left of where they should be.

16095500955405.jpg

Last edited:

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Yes there is. On the 16570 (gen and rep), the bezel acts as the crystal retaining ring. Just prying up the bezel will ususlly bring the crystal and the gasket with it. Then just pop them apart with both thumbs. If the gasket and crystal don't come up with bezel, just insert a razor blade below the gasket and work your way around lifting it up. Or use a piece of gorilla tape on the crystal. It's just sitting on the case.

To get the bezel off, tape up the case lugs and pn the case around the bezel. Carefully set the edge of a new razor blade exactly in the joint between the case and bezel. Gently tap the blade into the joint with a jeweler's hammer. Take care not to let the blade pop out of the joint between taps. A gap will begin to open up. Work your way around the bezel, opening up the gap until it's wide enough to insert a good quality smooth edged case knife. I always put a piece of thin plastic like a dial protector against the case while prying the bezel up with the case knife, even though the case is taped. No need to dent up your case!

This is awesome. I have popped bezel off from watches before (you actually saw one in the watch repair section where I messed up badly on a Navitimer awhile back lol).

I guess another dumb question is, do I need tools to put the crystal, gasket, and bezel back in? If not, I wonder how this watch provides water resistancy.

Reactions: hanski

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This is awesome. I have popped bezel off from watches before (you actually saw one in the watch repair section where I messed up badly on a Navitimer awhile back lol).

I guess another dumb question is, do I need tools to put the crystal, gasket, and bezel back in? If not, I wonder how this watch provides water resistancy.

See my edited post above, I added info

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18

Yes, you need tools for the bezel. The crystal and gasket should fit snuggly around the rehaute. Then the bezel should be very tightly compressed around the crystal and gasket. On your 16570, it’s VERY tight.
depending on tightness I used a mini-press made by Horotec or I use a bench vise. In both instances I have plastic rings to apply pressure in the correct diameter to the bezel or crystal.
If the crystal and bezel go out by hand tightness, theoretically they could come off by hand forces. And won’t be water resistant.

Reactions: sukwonee and KJ2020

Anto.94

8/8/19
Florence
I did that conversion when 16710 reps were scarce. The WSO retaining ring (gen-spec) does not mate perfectly to the BP 16570 case. There was a slight gap there. I epoxied the retaining ring to the case, also filing the gap to the case's crystal mount as well. I used JB Weld epoxy which is a dark grey and none of it shows. I consider this to be an acceptable solution as it still allows for insertion and removal of a gen-spec crystal, and the WSO gen-spec bezel and inserts.

I've never tested the case for WP but I don't get my watches wet, not even splash from hand washing so no worries for me there. The WSO parts were not perfect. I had to shave some off the bottom inside perimeter of the WSO bezel to make it fit on it's own WSO retaining ring.

Going on 3 years old, no issues with it
16120353165000.jpg

Thank you so much mate!!

Reactions: KJ2020

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW

And........ I got this baby back today :)

Couldn't be happier.

No more ugly incorrect bold DW and I love the crystal height. I think I did over compensate for it but it looks more gen to me than before. I will look into replacing the crystal to Clark's 1.8mm. I think that will do it.

The hour hand now perfectly lines up with the hour marker. Hope I can keep it like this for awhile.

Spelunker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/21

And........ I got this baby back today :)

Couldn't be happier.

No more ugly incorrect bold DW and I love the crystal height. I think I did over compensate for it but it looks more gen to me than before. I will look into replacing the crystal to Clark's 1.8mm. I think that will do it.

The hour hand now perfectly lines up with the hour marker. Hope I can keep it like this for awhile.

Really nice how it came out! Also so good that you still can be happy with this rep give its rather higher age (atleast i was told regarding reps and longevity).

Spelunker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/21
So my Watch is now on its way! Ive asked here earlier about a bracelet swap from oyster to jubilee and KJ2020 said that its doable. Now i wanted to ask where to get a fitting jubilee and what tools i might need to adjust it. Sadly Fat Panda was not able to source one with my purchase :(
16570 Polar with a jubilee is the dream in my opinion haha

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Really nice how it came out! Also so good that you still can be happy with this rep give its rather higher age (atleast i was told regarding reps and longevity).

Yep! This thing is ancient haha. I kept it for nostalgic purposes but now with the minor upgrades and upkeep, it will be in my weekly rotation.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That's true probably a gen dial route for me if I love it, if not up on to the M2M it goes. The rehaut was off centre on mine as well but the dates were nice, crisp and centred so I accepted

Gen dial will not fit the BP case. Gen dials are 27.3mm. I used a flawed rep dial to practice DIY dial shaving on, and it's currently 27.4mm. I couldn't take any more off it without eating into the minute tics. But I use it frequently now to test whether a gen dial would fit in a rep case. So far, it's fallen through the rehaut on every rep 5 digit case I've tried it in.

So apparently there are some gen 16570 dials that do fit in some BP cases. Here is one posted recently in the Eyecandy thread. Not sure if the dial was larger than 27.3mm or the rehaut opening was smaller. I have four of these cases and the rehaut openings are all too big to fit a 27.4mm dial. YMMV

ZdaCAv.jpg

Post #70

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...march-to-7th-march-2021?p=9709570#post9709570

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
Just want to show my appreciation for this thread. It was a lovey Sunday morning read.

I'm now sufficiently motivated to do a gen crystal swap on my 116622 this afternoon.

Reactions: sukwonee and KJ2020