• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Called out when wearing a rep?

nurg12

Known Member
3/5/15
Go to gen forums (TRF, WUS, etc). Plenty of people with $100k watch collections but drive POS cars.

Maybe others think they wear reps. They don't care. They just love watches.

That's definitely true, its all about how much money you're willing to blow. But this thread is about whether or not people will doubt you enough to "call you out" (such a stupid term). If people think your income is high enough to be able to afford something, they would be embarrassed to even ask if its real.

No one is going to ask a doctor if his patek is real even though most people wouldn't spend that much on a watch. Most people will give the benefit of the doubt and assume its gen. I think the same goes for everyone else as long as you don't look super poor or something lol

Rowing_Bird

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/2/15
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying with my example - driving a POS car will put doubts in strangers' minds.

Btw, on average doctors aren't exactly wealthy. You would be surprised how much debt an average doctor carries.

That's definitely true, its all about how much money you're willing to blow. But this thread is about whether or not people will doubt you enough to "call you out" (such a stupid term). If people think your income is high enough to be able to afford something, they would be embarrassed to even ask if its real.

No one is going to ask a doctor if his patek is real even though most people wouldn't spend that much on a watch. Most people will give the benefit of the doubt and assume its gen. I think the same goes for everyone else as long as you don't look super poor or something lol

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15

vast majority of people anywhere in the world do not know or are not aware of replicas. Unless the dial says Pofex they ALL assume you are carrying a gen rolex.

Not to mention that vast majority of people I know only know Rolex. Panerai/pp/iwc are all in the same big pot of "mustbesomebigshotwatch" broth

surgcmdr

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/11/11
I'm an anesthesiologist but have all reps no gen why bother no e calls me out. With insurance and kids who go time for gens

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

capnjazz

Known Member
10/4/15
Never been called out wearing a Rep. I look like a bum (long hair, beard, jeans/t-shirt/hoodie), but I also drive a new AMG and a Gallardo. So I think I get a free pass looking like a bum, haha. Honestly though, people hardly ever notice any watches I wear.

15875812926_fb7c1ed0dd_b.jpg

ezioauditore

3/5/12
Nice ride, capnjazz. They don't notice your watches because they're looking at your Lambo.

Never been called out wearing a Rep. I look like a bum (long hair, beard, jeans/t-shirt/hoodie), but I also drive a new AMG and a Gallardo. So I think I get a free pass looking like a bum, haha. Honestly though, people hardly ever notice any watches I wear.

15875812926_fb7c1ed0dd_b.jpg

beatitnoob

10/6/16
Only thing I've been called out on is rep shoes, but that's because sneakerheads are everywhere and the type of shoe I had wasn't even out yet lol!

jrlmsla

9/1/16
Actually to be completely honest I only wear reps cause I wanna support the drug trade, terrorism and child labor in China. Or whatever Cartier and Bulgari claim I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yadda Yadda

Aaron97

28/6/16
I was out celebrating Independence day with a coworker last Monday and he said "that really is a beautiful watch, even if it is fake".... I was wearing my Gen TAG Cal 16.

Anyone else ever feel insulted when someone tries to call you out on your Gen? My coworker wears a $1k Gucci watch, and I told him about reps and how nice they are now, so now he assumes every watch I wear is a rep.

barth

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/10/12
My friends who know I own reps assume all my collection is rep. So they call me out in public, leading to embarrassing situations while I do own several high end gens...

Envoyé de mon HTC One M8s

Lindseyctrimble1

11/10/13
My friends who know I own reps assume all my collection is rep. So they call me out in public, leading to embarrassing situations while I do own several high end gens...

Envoyé de mon HTC One M8s

Those are what you call "not your friends" [emoji23]

Lindseyctrimble1

11/10/13
I never lie about my reps. If your rude enough to ask, I will tell you it's a high quality rep. Lying just makes it worse. The factories have gotten so good these days that Rolex has to put a disclaimer on their site as soon as you go to their page stating basically that the only way you know you are buying an authentic watch is if you purchase from an AD. That's how good the reps are, and they know it.

Reactions: emergency333

Aaron97

28/6/16
Those are what you call "not your friends" [emoji23]
:laughing: Haha, that's a good one.
I never lie about my reps. If your rude enough to ask, I will tell you it's a high quality rep. Lying just makes it worse. The factories have gotten so good these days that Rolex has to put a disclaimer on their site as soon as you go to their page stating basically that the only way you know you are buying an authentic watch is if you purchase from an AD. That's how good the reps are, and they know it.
That's how I do it. If they ask, I tell them. No point in lying about it.

Lindseyctrimble1

11/10/13
I was out celebrating Independence day with a coworker last Monday and he said "that really is a beautiful watch, even if it is fake".... I was wearing my Gen TAG Cal 16.

Anyone else ever feel insulted when someone tries to call you out on your Gen? My coworker wears a $1k Gucci watch, and I told him about reps and how nice they are now, so now he assumes every watch I wear is a rep.

That's the same guy that if someone offered him a Ferrari replica for the price of a Honda Accord he would sell his children to have one. Called my people out about anything is so childish and just unnecessary

repvar

2/4/15
Here is the thing:

1. a lot of reps are so good, that it's pretty much impossible for most people to tell the difference with the naked eye. You aren't going to examine a watch for an hour, trying to see if font is a tiiiiny bit off from the real deal.
2. the number of people who are actually watch aficionados is next to zero. Go put on your Rolex rep and go outside. I mean a real shitty rep, ali special, a complete shit show quartz with wrong everything.

Out of 100,000 people who'll see you wearing the watch over a few years:

Half won't even care to notice that you are wearing a watch

That leaves you with 50,000 people who actually care to notice that you have a watch on.

Out of those 20% will think it's a very high end watch...an invicta or even a Seiko/Citizen...really high end shit.

And we are now down to 40,000 people that will actually recognize that it's a Rolex.

Out of those 25% will actually know that it's supposed to be a Submariner.

And you are now down to 10,000 people that actually know what the watch model is supposed to be.

Out of those, 10% will actually have a good view of the watch, where they can actually see the details.

So we are down to 1,000 people who'll actually have a chance to see the details of your watch.

Out of those 10% will actually know the basics of what to look for. i.e.. that a submariner has a cyclops, that it has rolex at the top, and submariner on the bottom, that it's not a quartz.

So we are down to 100 people who'll know the basics.

Out of those 10% will actually know the exact details to look for. i.e. that it's supposed to say submariner/ 1000ft/ chronometer/certified in that order.

So that's just 10 people. And maaaaybe one of those will actually be a Rolex nut, who'll know the exact font, the exact details, and who might call you out.

So out of 100,000 people who might see you wear a watch out in public, 1 might be able to know for sure that it's a fake.

3. But! All these watch companies put out a **** ton of models over 100+ years. Each year they change a bit here, a bit there. Each year they release special models and limited editions. So you still won't get called out because noone can actually know what the exact model of your watch actually is. And people just aren't keen to be assholes when they aren't 100% sure.

And that's with an ali special, any watch you buy from a TD is call out proof.

I'm talking about the real world. Ofcourse if you go around, posting high res instagram photos of your watches, where some loser can spend an hour going over the watch trying to prove that it's a fake...then you'll def want to stick to the super reps.

Honestly, stop worrying about this shit. I know watches, and I know reps, and I hang out with a lot of wealthy guys who are into watches and I always try and see what watches people have, but in the real world you won't even be able to read "Rolex" when the watch is on someone's moving wrist. And most people don't keep their hands still long enough for you to actually read the whole name...let alone for you to see if it even says submariner or if it just says sadmariner. And even when someone presents the watch for you to examine, you have maybe 20-30 seconds tops. That's usually just long enough to read the brand name and the model name. And you won't even have time to notice that it said 11,000 ft = 2,300 m on a submariner.

So again, let it go. This fear of getting called out is just asinine. Half the gen Rolex owners won't even know what watch they actually have on their wrist...you can say "Nice Daytona, and the guy will say ...no It's a Rolex"

Aaron97

28/6/16
I think its exactly as repvar says. Strangers wont call you out.

It's the people closest to you that call you on it. And its not because they know watches, its because they know you, your income, or your personality. Example, no one I know would call me out (if I hadn't told them I would buy a rep), because they all know my income level could easily support buying gens. But if you and all your buddies work at the fast food drive-thru (nothing against that) then your buddies would know that your income would be hard pressed to buy high dollar watches.

frediiii

3/7/15
Somehow I managed that my girlfriend believes that all my gens are reps. And all my coworkers take my reps for gens. Best of both worlds :)

One coworker tried to call me out on a gen planet ocean...

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

johnmactavish

Known Member
9/5/14
I have been wearing reps since 2012. I only get compliments, never get the "is it fake" question. I say it's my father's collection. Noone really can tell, at least in my circle of friends and from other people who have seen me wearing the reps.