• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buyer Beware: Bad QC? Too bad for you!

SGWatchBuyer

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
6/10/22
From a frequent watch buyer point of view, yes, I realise reps are not originals, but even the obviously fake bad reps I bought arrived in pristine condition, heck even the reps you buy on a table by the side of the road in Bangkok look pristine, this is the first time someone tries to give me a damaged product, so I thought I should share my experience and hopefully prevent someone else from losing money.

I'm on my 3rd watch order from Hont, everything went smooth with the first two watches, great communications, easy payment, QC, delivery and so on, super happy with them.

In the weeks leading to this problematic order, again great communications, back and forth, asking questions getting good answers. So i converge on the Rolex Yacht Master (the VSF version see *link removed* to know why I wanted it) which he had in "24h QC" (super excellent right, who wouldn't want their watch faster), I paid and waited patiently for the photos.

The QC photos arrive within 12 hours, but unfortunately the watch looked like it had been rubbed against a brick wall, it had scratches on the bezel, the crown was damaged as if it was turned with a vice-grip and the bracelet looked used and dirty. A completely different quality to that of the VSF version Watch_.fz showcases.

So I highlight the defects and shared my dissatisfaction with him, a bit of push back saying it's new and that's the way it's supposed to look like, and then he offered a refund. Great super happy, wait for the money and place a new order and still good communications and felt cared for as a customer.

I provide him multiple reimbursement methods, USD bank account, WeChat Pay RMB account, HKD account, but he completely ghosted me. Now it's been 2 weeks, he reads the messages but does not reply or acknowledge them, and of course no refund.

So yeah, it's a really shitty situation, so buyer beware.

From a sales person point of view I totally understand that it's unpleasant to give refunds, but he could have offered to use it as credit for another watch, or a discount for me to take it anyway, but he only offered a refund and then kept the money and ghosted me.

In hindsight, I suspect my mistake was the "24h QC", which I now think that those are watches that haven't passed someone else's QC and he's stuck with them, hence why the photos are super blurry on this site.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by a moderator:

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
That sucks, but, if I'm reading it right, you joined here, after 2 successful orders, purely to complain about the 3rd one?

Where were the positive reviews for the first two orders?

SGWatchBuyer

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
6/10/22
That sucks, but, if I'm reading it right, you joined here, after 2 successful orders, purely to complain about the 3rd one?

Where were the positive reviews for the first two orders?

Sadly the reviews for the other two watches don't matter anymore. This is a business of trust, and my trust was broken, and I feel my responsiblity to share this experience to give context for others in their decision making process.

Everything need to be taken in context.

Just think of it this way, imagine you're a parent you bring your 3 kids to a circus and one of them get eaten by a lion, do you think other parents care whether your other two kids found the acrobats gracious and the elephant majestic? Probably not, nor would they say "Honey, 66% of the kids liked the circus lets bring the kids, apparently the lion is really scary! - Oh great idea darling, I'll pack snacks for the car!". :)

SGWatchBuyer

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
6/10/22
Usually when you are in dispute with a trusted dealer, you want to involve the admin to help solve the issue. By contacting them via private message not posting publicly.
Thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated!

To give a bit more of clarity, I'm not posting in hopes that somehow Hont will refund and my trust be restored, I'm posting to share my experience with others and provide context so perhaps less experienced buyers or people that put all their money they have in buying a watch from Hont are able to learn of my bad luck and take a pause to reflect and make sure they are making the right decision for themselves.

SGWatchBuyer

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
6/10/22
Welcome to the forum! 🥸
Thanks, happy to join! I've recently discovered RWI, it's exciting to see that there is an active community that takes pride in shaping the industry and providing a (what appears to be) 3rd party mediation services to dealers, it's definitively making the passion for watches thrive!

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated!

To give a bit more of clarity, I'm not posting in hopes that somehow Hont will refund and my trust be restored, I'm posting to share my experience with others and provide context so perhaps less experienced buyers or people that put all their money they have in buying a watch from Hont are able to learn of my bad luck and take a pause to reflect and make sure they are making the right decision for themselves.

And that's actually my issue - you're posting to complain.

Yet you didnt join, or post, to compliment him on the first 2 successful sales (to share these experiences) so while you (& others) could see the above as a 'public service announcement', and in part it is, let's call a spade a spade, this is a post to complain, and try to damage the TDs reputation to future buyers.

Saying otherwise is lying to yourself and to us.

For the record, I have never ordered from Hont, but it really irks me when a brand new member joins with the sole purpose of posting a negative review.

And I also think, since you joined pre-purchase, you will not, nor should you, get any assistance from the forum.

From now on, I wish you all the best, and I hope you enjoy exploring this awesome forum.

SGWatchBuyer

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
6/10/22
And that's actually my issue - you're posting to complain.

Yet you didnt join, or post, to compliment him on the first 2 successful sales (to share these experiences) so while you (& others) could see the above as a 'public service announcement', and in part it is, let's call a spade a spade, this is a post to complain, and try to damage the TDs reputation to future buyers.

Saying otherwise is lying to yourself and to us.

For the record, I have never ordered from Hont, but it really irks me when a brand new member joins with the sole purpose of posting a negative review.

And I also think, since you joined pre-purchase, you will not, nor should you, get any assistance from the forum.

From now on, I wish you all the best, and I hope you enjoy exploring this awesome forum.
It's a free world, you are entitled to your opinions, and I'm entitled to mine. And if our opinions differ, it doesn't mean we can't live next to one another peacefully.

In either case, thanks for providing feedback and "schooling" me for being new to the forum, it is genuinely appreciated. You still earn a like :)

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
It's a free world, you are entitled to your opinions, and I'm entitled to mine. And if our opinions differ, it doesn't mean we can't live next to one another peacefully.

In either case, thanks for providing feedback and "schooling" me for being new to the forum, it is genuinely appreciated. You still earn a like :)
Post some picture of this YM rubbed against a brick wall. I’d like to see the QC pictures. Thanks.

SGWatchBuyer

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
6/10/22
Post some picture of this YM rubbed against a brick wall. I’d like to see the QC pictures. Thanks.
Here are the links to the QC photos.

Rolex Yacht Master (VSF) and video

My main feedback was
1- On the bezel is scratched, on 5m marker, between 35-40m, 45m marker, the 5 of the 50m marker.
2- The crown looks chewed up
3- The strap looks used and dirty

Summary, noticeably less than pristine, especially compared to the previous two watches One and Two (video) I bought from him, see how pristine and clean they are? night and day compare to this 3rd watch.

The Cellini is truly perfect, the JLC is good but not fantastic, the case doesn't align perfectly and the movement was a bit loose inside, but both were absolutely cosmetically flawless in QC.

Reactions: .machina

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
@SGWatchBuyer I've looked very carefully several times at your pictures and video. I made sure I pulled them up on my computer and not my phone. I don't see where the watch looks "like it had been rubbed against a brick wall, it had scratches on the bezel, the crown was damaged as if it was turned with a vice-grip and the bracelet looked used and dirty."

If I zoom in 100X I can see two, tiny slash like-like marks on the 5 minute bezel marker. They are nearly invisible, and I'm sure they can be cleaned/removed. Other than that, the watch looks fantastic. I have a strong suspicion you are trolling us. I'm not buying that any sane person would really think that watch looks like it was "rubbed against a brick wall."

yerrgen

Looking Around
20/2/20
Here are the links to the QC photos.

Rolex Yacht Master (VSF) and video

My main feedback was
1- On the bezel is scratched, on 5m marker, between 35-40m, 45m marker, the 5 of the 50m marker.
2- The crown looks chewed up
3- The strap looks used and dirty

Summary, noticeably less than pristine, especially compared to the previous two watches One and Two (video) I bought from him, see how pristine and clean they are? night and day compare to this 3rd watch.

The Cellini is truly perfect, the JLC is good but not fantastic, the case doesn't align perfectly and the movement was a bit loose inside, but both were absolutely cosmetically flawless in QC.
i don't see anything besides a tiny scratch near the 5mm marker. crown def doesnt look chewed up lol

Reactions: Tucker

domiffm

buffalo is sick
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
I know I should have stopped reading when I read joined 6/10/22. It's always the same shit with new members. And ONLY with new members. Rubbed against a brig... SMH

You should receive a forum ban forever for shitting on a reputation of a TRUSTED dealer publicly. Shame on you.

Last edited:

nofitstate

20/7/13
I see a few light marks on the bezel (are they just greasing fingerprint marks?) but the crown and strap look good. I've had worse sent as a QC pic. I once had a TD send me pics of a ZF Tudor blackbay with a bezel the really looked like it had been hit with a brick, I laughed a little and pointed out the issue and a replacement was sourced with no issues.