• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Build Thread: Milsub 5517

zkramez

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/12/20
What sort of restoration is being done to the dial?
It was slightly water damaged. I am having that repaired and then the T logo printed. Should be undetectable based on the dial guys history.

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
It was slightly water damaged. I am having that repaired and then the T logo printed. Should be undetectable based on the dial guys history.
Would be interested in who you're using for the work. Please DM if you dont want to post here. I have a couple of GEN Sub dials that could perhaps do with 'some work'.

Reactions: zkramez

zkramez

12/12/20
Would be interested in who you're using for the work. Please DM if you dont want to post here. I have a couple of GEN Sub dials that could perhaps do with 'some work'.
He doesn't want his info out there. Maybe when I get the dial back he will change his mind. Ill post photos in 5 weeks when I get it back LMFAO

zkramez

12/12/20
I am not sure honestly. I have not even started the research on hands. I really am going to dive in though.

Reactions: Singapore9

zkramez

12/12/20
Decided on getting a used genuine plexiglass. I figured it would add to the look of a watch worn for military purpose.

This particular plexiglass is from a late 1960s 5513. It is not a service crystal. It is the original. Super cool find. Looking forward to having it on my project.

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
I think the GEN plexi is a great choice and, as you say, really helps blend everything together for patina. Nice addition.

It's sometimes difficult to tell with plexis, especially off the watch and not next to another one of a different profile but that one looks quite sharp edged to me and not as soft as I'd expect a 60s T19 to be. Maybe take a side pic of the one on the watch and this one next to it, when you swap them over.

zkramez

12/12/20
I think the GEN plexi is a great choice and, as you say, really helps blend everything together for patina. Nice addition.

It's sometimes difficult to tell with plexis, especially off the watch and not next to another one of a different profile but that one looks quite sharp edged to me and not as soft as I'd expect a 60s T19 to be. Maybe take a side pic of the one on the watch and this one next to it, when you swap them over.
I should I have it on next week. Then the case will be 100% done. Very exciting

• Love

zkramez

12/12/20
My genuine dial is completed! Again, this is a genuine non serif dial that I had a dial maker print the military logo on. This might be the most realistic milsub dial ever produced. The military marking is literally perfect. I sent the dial maker very high resolution photos of a real marking and holy cow did he deliver!!!! Wow. Is all I can say right now.

This project is turning out to be insane. Could be the most insane milsub out there.

The only thing I need left are hands. Still looking for the best hands on the market. None seem to be good enough. Especially now.

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
Great job! Congrats! There are a couple of places with an original "T" cliche used for UK military watches, in the UK, who have done this. I just don't think it is common place in our corner of the REP world as few people would risk the value of a GEN dial but I do wonder about some of the ''''GEN'''' MilSubs out there!

zkramez

12/12/20
Great job! Congrats! There are a couple of places with an original "T" cliche used for UK military watches, in the UK, who have done this. I just don't think it is common place in our corner of the REP world as few people would risk the value of a GEN dial but I do wonder about some of the ''''GEN'''' MilSubs out there!
Many of the ones listed as Genuine on chrono 24 I noticed are reps / Frankensteins. After doing a crap ton of research for this project I am a pro now 😂

• Haha

mir36

Known Member
5/6/09
I still am missing the dial and hands but I could not resists putting it together.

Genuine crown, CAC bezel insert. So good!

Hi, I’m on the same journey and am following your thread with interest :)

On your CAC insert, take a close look at the shape of your “2” in the “20”. That’s basically the standard sub font.

Here’s my CAC insert with the correct font at “20” with a comparison to Stefano M’s reference pics.

IMG_0555f57e10dbf93f230f.jpg

IMG_29812ee4cf20f7da1580.jpg

Once you see it, you can’t unsee it. It’s the biggest tell for these projects along with wrong sized sword hour hands.

For hands try seller Vintage Watch Mods on the Bay.

Singapore9

Renowned Member
Patron
9/8/10
Those hands are posted above in #27 but would be interested to see what @zkramez finds during the course of his research. That's a great spot by @mir36 on the insert font!

Would be interested in more before and after pics of the dial to see how extensive the restoration and repair was and the job they did! I still have GEN dials I am looking to repair.