• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Build a Pressure Tester for 30 Dollars

melsman

Getting To Know The Place
6/11/12
Had to build one

Added a hook in the lid to hang watch from.
8D490D7C-B1CB-4413-AD91-06AEF9BB0B8D-3931-00000112CF92503A_zps50c0e570.jpg
0B84EEB7-CA97-47B3-A77E-E4683559B686-3931-00000112BBDFA297_zpscc524e49.jpg

Great idea for the tester. Thanks
4ED88310-7DA3-4276-A0EE-1572A32E3DDD-3931-00000112A9D2083A_zps8e3fdf5c.jpg

offroadfreak

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
29/8/12
had to build one to test my BP submariner and other watches aswell! :)

img1912x.jpg

HerrOberst

26/9/13
That is pretty neat. I may have to get me one of those so I can try it on some of my watches.

scrat1826

Do not accept unsolicited offers
22/2/14
Ok. So I built a variant of this tester and tested my pam 029 gmt to 4atm. When releasing air, several large bubbles came out from between bezel and crystal. Any ideas on how to distinguish between air trapped under bezel vs crystal leak?

psychom3

Renowned Member
3/3/09
Great tutorial, have all the stuff on hand, hope to have time to experiment this week.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Oke, I knew I had a bottle lying around that I did not use anymore. But I also knew that the quality of this bottle was cr*p. So just for fun of it, I build the tester with the bottle anyway.

As I expected it to explode, I stood behind a door when pumping the pressure... And yes I was right. This is what happened at 4 bar. (Parts where all over my backyard haha)

So, I really have to fine me a nalgene or other polycarbonate bottle with a wide mouth. :D

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
O, btw...
as I expected it to explode, there was no watch in it of course.

No watches where harmed in this experiment! ;-)

bonesy

Getting To Know The Place
9/4/14
O, btw...
as I expected it to explode, there was no watch in it of course.
No watches where harmed in this experiment! ;-)

Haha good job no watch was in there I've got a few days off work this week :thinking: I'll give this a go . thanks for the great tutorial and awesome feed back guys .

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Indeed bonesy.

Got me an Nalgene bottle last weekend. Works like a charm now.
Only the part where you hang the watch on worried me a bit. (Tape didn't hold)
So I build a stand in the bottle to put the watch on.

zsolie

Known Member
21/3/14
Got me too a Nalgene bottle yesterday. I drilled only a 12mm hole on the top and insert the tyre valve. It was hard to insert it, but in this way it not need to glue.
I managed the hanging problem with a piece of blue tek, it hold the watch firmly even with bracelet. Simply I stick it on the inside of the bottle above the cap. Unfortunatly my bootle cap seal fails above the 3bar, even after several tighten trying.
The good news: Today arrived my AP watch, it pass the 3bar test:)

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Just built mine....have just glued in the valve (I think i drilled the hole a little too wide)....at the moment mine won't go higher than 20psi. Leaving it to dry until tomorrow, then i'll be testing some of mine.

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Just greased up my dssd and planet ocean skyfall.... they both passed at 48psi....cool.....happy days.....and a great project!

Lokifish Marz

Do not accept unsolicited offers
16/3/15
This thread came up on a web search for DIY testers. The design is the least expensive I've found so far. Like a good noob I read the entire thread and there are some definite errors and misconceptions

Pressure at depth posted early on is way off. As read from the gauge, the pressure at depths are as follows;
10m= 1 ATM = 14.7 PSI
20m = 2 ATM = 29.4 PSI
30m = 3 ATM = 44.1 PSI
40m = 4 ATM = 58.8 PSI
(and so on)

Water resistance myth
Those "3ATM means no swimming" and other nonsensical ratings were rendered obsolete in 2010 (link). Every watch manufactured by a maker that adheres to ISO standards since then, falls under the new standards. This means that 3ATM watch is “water resistant†to 30 meters (100 feet) for all aquatic activities down to a depth of 30 meters.

Dynamic pressure myth
We've heard this one all over the place as well. Want to know how fast you have to be moving to add whopping 1ATM of pressure? Try about 40 MPH. To put that into perspective, the Guinness Record holder for the fastest punch is 44MPH.

So, seeing this is a stickied thread used as a reference, the least I could do is help by posting updated and accurate info.

RichRobby

Renowned Member
1/5/15
Great thread. Thanks to the OP.

Just built on of these. Again using a Nalgene bottle (£11.00 in UK from Amazon).
I went for the car tyre valve (free from local garage) fitted in to the side using a 12mm drill and a bit of lubricant and pliers to pull it through. Doesn't leak from there but is prone to leak from the lid but a bit of silicone grease on the thread really helps to aid tightening and also helps the seal a touch.

Anyway

Chickened out at pumpimg to just over 4 bar and tested my rep Submariner.
I had several large bubbles from under the bezel but nothing else ..... trouble is I now have a couple of small 'ghost' marks on the underside of the glass. I am sure they weren't there before.
At this moment I have taken the back off and waiting to see if it 'drys' the marks out.
I was under the impression that bubbles from the bezel were acceptable, am I wrong about this? Have I a leak?

I am doing all this in anticipation of a new rep coming in a few days that I wanted to test - now I'm not so sure I want to do it myself.

Just like to add I wear this watch every day in the shower and swim with it whenever and have not had a problem. I guess that I am not putting it under 3+ bar of pressure though.