• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Build a Pressure Tester for 30 Dollars

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
:picard:
video-229.html

ROTFL!
GUYS: You HAVE to click on that link!

Smidsy: I'm duly headslapped. (sorry to be that guy)

Google this to see what he did:
"let me google that for you"

It generates a vid that shows you how friggin stoopit you were for asking a veeery simple question

However, 7bar is 101 psi. I won't bother going that high with my pump.

Kg/SI

SI as in SI units - I'm confused.

however here you go:

http://tinyurl.com/5wkw294

ck6459

11/9/10
Thanks mucrewbtp for the tute and SMIDSY for doing the point of explosion.
I really feels like having one of this to test my watches.
Can anyone make the bottle part for me (the bottle with sealed, I will take care of the pump)?
I will pay for the shipment and handling + labor cost ^^

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
This is a fantastic thread - thank you mucrewbtp!

It's posts and ideas like this that make this forum and hobby so good, it inspires you to 'have a go'!

Based on your tutorial, I've built the same rig. Was very easy to do.

I got the naglene bottle from Amazon, then obtained the valve from my local garage. They gave it me for free when I explained what I was doing....! It's a different design which is even easier to fit.

Here's a few photos:

This is valve:

5284f843-84ec-0a44.jpg

There is a 'step' in the rubber where it will sit in the bottle lid:

5284f843-856f-e7fc.jpg

Measured the diameter to determine the size of hole to drill in the bottle lid:

5284f843-85c3-5979.jpg

It shows just under 15mm, so I drilled a 13mm hole in the bottle lid (obviously this needs to be a tight fit - and the rubber will compress when pulled in). Then put soap on the valve as a lubricant:

5284f843-863d-8d13.jpg

It was hard work, but eventually pulled into place. Here's the inside view:

52848b9a-866f-24fd.jpg

And the external view:

5284f843-869e-0285.jpg

You can now see the 'step' in the rubber is in place and the valve is securely in place.

Here's the final bottle:

52848b1a-86fa-4b9f.jpg

Easy job - took 10-15 mins, and it's ready for testing....

OW

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
And here it is in action with my Submariner Ceramic. Crystal pressed in correctly and all seals greased - no leaks here :)

52848b45-cb13-9404.jpg

Thanks again for this great tutorial! It is great to be able to test my own watches after my local watch smith said he wouldn't test a "fake" with his equipment in case (and I quote) "it explodes in my machine". That comment inspired me never to go near him again....!

OW

Muaitai

6/5/12
watch doc not taking a jab at you just the physics!

Okay when you put the watch into the water lets say at 100m then the watch will be fine as that is the watch rating. However as soon as you move the watch even a little the movement increases the pressure on the watch as the water is moving over the watch.... so it can be used at the 100m just not moved at all. As in this is the pressure the watch can take when NOTHING moves.

So in a swimming pool at lets say 10m the pressure could be considerably more as you are swimming and putting a large amount more stress on the watch!

basically follow these rules:
watch rating - use
WR - splashproof only
WR 30 - washing hands
WR 50m - shower safe
WR 100m- swimming
WR 200m - scuba (not saturation)
WR DIVER's 200m+ all diving.

hope this helps =)

Wow, my watch is WR 50m by modd and I dove couple of times on the pool, does that means it can get water on it?

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
I recognize that Smidsy's facts are correct, and I take no offense regarding being corrected.
All is well

macca001

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
4/11/10
London
I have recently built the same style of tester and it really is as good as OW suggests, taken to 5 ATM and no leaks. I did go for the shatterproof polycarbonate Nalgene bottle though I did fancy explaining the bang if it went wrong.

Thanks for sharing OW great post

SmqSub

I'm Pretty Popular
29/12/10
Assembling parts for this :)
What's the highest (or deepest) anyone has gone with this setup?

blind-m

I'm Pretty Popular
21/3/12
Nalgene is reported to explode at 7ATM though reports here state that the seal fails before then...

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
I'm going to sell my home-made tester since I've recently bought a 'proper' test rig!

If anyone is interested drop me a pm....

-OW