• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BR03-93 GMT - pictorial review and gen-rep comparison

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
BR03-93 GMT
Pictorial review

It's been a while since I've done a rep review, mostly because in the last couple of years I simple did not buy any.
From time to time I saw a watch I liked but each time my interest rapidly fell.
This was since I saw this watch being released.

I have to thank from watcharchive for being brave enough to invest in replicating this uncommon and imho underrated brand. The release of this GMT model made me browse through the Bell&Ross website discovering a few very interesting new models which I think could make the brand move up to the next level.
The golden heritage, the diver, the horolum and others are watches with a very distinct character. They are and look like very masculine tool watches yet at the same time a wise use of sensitive details make it clear these are undoubtedly luxury watches.

THE GEN

Bell-Ross-BR-03-93-GMT-aBlogtoWatch-01.jpg

Bell&Ross was founded in 1992 by Bruno Belamich and Carlos Rosillo, who at first collaborated with german watchmaker Sinn, releasing some interesting enough models but mostly simple re-issues of Sinn production.
In 2002 the collaboration ended and B&R started producing watches on their own, but it was only in 2005 that they introduced the BR01, a 46 mm square watch with a design which took inspiration from airplane cockpits. The real first born of the current "instrument" line-up.

The design language is very similar to Panerai: the combination of square case and round bezel, the big numbers on the dial, echoes from a military heritage, even the shape of the buckle remind in some way of Panerai.
And guess who likes them too? ;)

arnold-schwarzenegger-as-trench-in-the-expendables-1-1024x435.jpg

Ok, so there are things the two brands share, but at the same time there is a definite freshness in B&R design that somehow Panerai has lost lately imho.
I'm sure those who know me can imagine I don't say this lightly, I consider myself one of the biggest PAM lovers after all and no brand will ever take their place in my heart. But these new B&R's carved their small spot in my preferences and I can tell you this will not be my last watch from this brand (especially if would release a good rep of the golden heritage :whistle:)

THE REP

Model: BR03-92 GMT
Maker: Watcharchive
Movement: asian 2836
Dealer: Watcharchive

It was my first order with locolouie and, once I got familiar with the website's options, the deal was smooth and fairly quick. A few days after payment I got a set of Hi-res QC pics, then a couple days later more pics showing the special mods done to the watch (movement oiling and rotor silencing) and the results of a timegrapher. The picture show the rotor and the auto-winding bridge being removed and oiled.
I was very impressed by this as I did not ask for it and indeed my watch is as silent as a ninja :ninja:
On the other hand I have to point out that, once I got the watch, caseback needed to be reseated in order to align correctly with midcase. It was only a matter of unscrewing a little the four screws on the back, realign the CB and screw back in, indeed a non-issue for a guy like me who's constantly messing with watches and a 3 minutes job for any watchsmith or tinkerer.

CASE

Case construction is pretty special on this watch, it's made like a sandwich that's held together by the four screw you can see on the fron of the watch which go all through the case and link to the caseback. The rep is made just like the gen in this regard.

The maker did an awesome job on the case, the finishing details are especially important and well executed on this rep. Take a look at the polished bevels on midcase and bezel, they're just great. Also, obvious but no so much when we talk about reps, the four top screws are slightly sunken and have the correct inclination towards the bezel.

GEN SIDE
Bell-Ross-BR-03-93-GMT-aBlogtoWatch-07.jpg

REP SIDE

The above pic shows imho the most noticeable and maybe the only real flaw of this rep. As you can see rep lugs have a more rounded top part compared to gen which has very sharp edge where the lug starts to go down.
Besides, the hex nuts which hold the strap look to be smaller than the gen.

CRYSTAL

GEN
Bell-Ross-BR-03-93-GMT-aBlogtoWatch-17.jpg

REP

Rep crystal is sapphire with a very good AR coating. I don't know if coating is single or double sided but clarity is excellent and totally comparable to the gen pics I saw online. Most of the time it's practically invisible.
Height looks correct as well.

DIAL

GEN
Bell-Ross-BR-03-93-GMT-aBlogtoWatch-12.jpg

REP

Dial is fantastic, busy and simple at the same time. Factory did a great job replicating this dial as you can see, the differences are totally minor and can be synthesized in very minor differences in the fonts used for inscriptions. The four big brushed numbers look perfectly shaped to my eyes, the minute track is perfect as well as the 5 minute indexes.
Date is very slightly sunken due the different movement used in rep, but I can't really say it's a noticeable flaw considering how small the date window is and the black datewheel.

HANDS

GEN
Bell-Ross-BR-03-93-GMT-aBlogtoWatch-13.jpg

REP

Hands are sword shaped, with a 3d effect that's perfectly replicated. An interesting and very nice detail about the hands is how one half of them is mirror polished while the other half is micro-blasted. Although I couldn't really capture it with my camera, please believe me when say that this has been perfectly replicated.

Besides, for this specific BR03 the designers not only took inspiration from Panerai, they also took their GMT hand straight out of one of the most iconic Rolexes ever: the "Steve McQueen" or "Freccione" 1655 form the 70's. The big orange GMT hand looks great on this watch, its color matches the triangle at 12 on the bezel while the "GMT" inscription on the dial is a bit darker. These details add some nice and striking accents.
The seconds hand is matte white, continuing the Explorer theme.

BEZEL

Bezel overlaps slightly the squared case and has calssic GMT markers in a similar style to the Rolex explorer, a detail that blends greatly with the orange arrow hand.
The top side is brushed while the outer edge has a nice polished chamfer.
Finishing on the rep is perfect, with the numbers being just a tiny bit too tall and thin compared to gen.

CROWN

GEN
Bell-Ross-BR-03-93-GMT-aBlogtoWatch-14.jpg

REP

Excuse the slightly out of focus pic.
Once again crown is a very well replicated detail. The tiny pyramid shaped teeth are maybe a tad more crisp on the gen, but nothing to complain really. The B&R logo on the crown's head is perfectly shaped as far as I can tell

CASEBACK

GEN
Bell-Ross-BR-03-93-GMT-aBlogtoWatch-06.jpg

REP

Caseback isn't either a let down on this rep, with a nice brushed surface, crisp engravings and accurate fonts. Screws are not perfectly aligned towards the centre like they are on the front, just like the gen ;)

STRAP

The strap deserves its own specific paragraph.
We are used to rep straps being completely useless and feeling like plastic or cardboard or both. This is not the case, the rep strap looks accurate, smells like good leather and is pliable and comfortable just like you would expect from a good strap. Gen straps are not very expensive, but honestly I don't feel the need to upgrade yet.

CONCLUSIONS

In case you haven't read this between the lines I'll say it clear: I am really satisfied by this rep :)
It's a solid, well built, well finished, accurate rep of a beautiful watch and it's also sold for a very fair price compared to what current high end reps sell for.
I can't really do anything but encourage anyone who likes its design to try one, you won't be disappointed.

And a few more pics :)

Lume shot:

And a wristie:

2017-09-22-10-15-08.jpg

As usual any input and comment is very welcome, I would be glad to update the review with anything I missed.
Hope you enjoyed the reading and pics!

:cheers:

Last edited:

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Very nice looking rep, unbelievable photography and review.

Thank you, all I can say is I wish you bought more reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dano-D

renoz

25/5/12
Very nice pictures.
Great review and cool explanation about hands, i really though they were tridimentional.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Great write-up, kilo. Really hoping rep factories put more time and effort into B&R pieces -- they are so versatile and have snuck their way into a prominent role in my rotation ....

jg3456

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
31/7/12
Denver, CO
Great review K, thank you!

Is it as I suspect maybe just the photo lighting..or is the rep's bezel 'pip' (orange arrow) quite a different shade of orange (yellower) vs. Gen?

noobfreak

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/7/17
Thanks for the review and pictures. Is the watch from Louis the same version as the one offered by puretime? I can't understand from his posts whether he is a manufacturer or a reseller, or if he does mods!

Sent from the RWI App

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks for the review and pictures. Is the watch from Louis the same version as the one offered by puretime? I can't understand from his posts whether he is a manufacturer or a reseller, or if he does mods!

Sent from the RWI App

The color changes from dark yellow to orange depending on light. I've seen the gen do the same in pics, but in order to know if they are really the same you need to have both watches side by side.

ericb196

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
18/5/11
nice review. thanks for the work, this watch indeed looks cool..

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Kilo,
Really nice review and really nice pics! I was already eyeing this one up, but after reading your review it has moved up the list.
I am curious as was an earlier poster about LocoLouis. I have seen his posts elsewhere, but it is confusing about if he is the maker or is just a modder. Kilo, you ordered from watcharchive, right? I see these same watches on Puretime & Intime etc. Would I be getting the same watch serviced just like you did if I order from one of the other dealers? My guess is no, but then there is loco posting about changing dials and other stuff that makes me think he might actually be the maker. I don't know....

Anyway, great review

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
Kilo,
Really nice review and really nice pics! I was already eyeing this one up, but after reading your review it has moved up the list.
I am curious as was an earlier poster about LocoLouis. I have seen his posts elsewhere, but it is confusing about if he is the maker or is just a modder. Kilo, you ordered from watcharchive, right? I see these same watches on Puretime & Intime etc. Would I be getting the same watch serviced just like you did if I order from one of the other dealers? My guess is no, but then there is loco posting about changing dials and other stuff that makes me think he might actually be the maker. I don't know....

Anyway, great review
he is a maker and a modder haha he makes watches like B&R but he mods watches like the 15400 AP.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Great review Kilo. @Thehitman is a big B&R fan. Maybe he can add something regarding the lume.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
@Nanook65

From my understanding locolouie has organized/ is the maker of these new B&R watches (GMT, Horolum, WWI etc).
His watches can be had through the other dealers as well.
Besides he works as normal TD selling any other watch BUT he offers some mods on specific watches ("vintage" treatment on a cartel 1680 to name the last I read of), AND offers regulation services on the watches he sells for free as far as I can tell.
That's a lot of work for a one man show, I hope he can keep up because the level of service I got with this watch was high despite the small issue I mentioned with the caseback.

Reactions: Jammydodger79

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
grande Kilo !

I just order an horolum and if the size is manageable other B&R (on top of some other watches by @locolouie ) are in order..They look perfect to me

AstroAvia

Renowned Member
29/8/08
BRAZIL
I thought my B&R phase was long and forever gone, but this review made me go back a few years in time and now I want this watch. I can't explain why, but I love orange accents and GMT watches, and this 03-93 has both features. Above all, however, the one feature of this watch that amazes me the most is the hands being half polished, half blasted. Amazing!

Question: is the bezel fixed?

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I thought my B&R phase was long and forever gone, but this review made me go back a few years in time and now I want this watch. I can't explain why, but I love orange accents and GMT watches, and this 03-93 has both features. Above all, however, the one feature of this watch that amazes me the most is the hands being half polished, half blasted. Amazing!

Question: is the bezel fixed?

Bezel doesn't turn.
And I agree with you, those hands are really something! :)

Juraj_G

Renowned Member
24/9/16
I just couldnt resist and placed the order with locolouie right now [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using RWI