• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blanc Pain X Swatch metal mod

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Oh Thank you for posting this thread. I actually have been poking around trying to see if anyone else has been working on this (I succeeded in my previous conversion of my Moonswatch).

This one seems to be a bit harder this time around because this project suddenly got more expensive ($400 for the real thing isn't pocket change).

Now its time to see where I can find a good donor. Last time I used a pagani speedmaster. I am wondering if anyone else has seen good alternatives for the blancpain

lost-cavalier

prisoner of time
Supporter
Certified
5/11/22
You and me both, brother. You and me both...

I'm waiting for a case. It is currently in the Ali Express shipping vortex.
also waiting to see with a more suitable case (y) - hands and chapter ring for the 43mm are in the same vortex, but think it will be a case of "yep, that didn't work" and moving down a case. Also wondering if I should have gone for a NH35 automatic movement rather than the Miyota as hand choice seems better (with the existing "seiko mod 55 fathoms" being a thing already) - great learning experience, sure it'll be nailed in short order once the postie hurries up!

Reactions: Pinion Minion

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
i think this is a chinese clone of the miyota movement not a true miyota?

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Think there’s been a run on these. The decent ones I tried were out of stock.

lost-cavalier

prisoner of time
Supporter
Certified
5/11/22
So on the 45mm case I received the chapter ring (parts just resting so nothing aligned(and needs cleaning!)) and the hands - annoyingly the seconds hand just wouldn't seat properly - the final look I'm quite pleased with and the chapter ring solves the small dial vs big case - just would need to fix in place:

Will look forward to 40mm case results - I'm likely going to replace the Miyota movement with a Seiko NH35 as hand choices are much wider due to the "Seiko Fifty five fathoms" mods that have been around for a while, I think a Seiko mod5 with the swatch dial may be interesting to see next

Last edited:

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
So on the 45mm case I received the chapter ring (parts just resting so nothing aligned(and needs cleaning!)) and the hands - annoyingly the seconds hand just wouldn't seat properly - the final look I'm quite pleased with and the chapter ring solves the small dial vs big case - just would need to fix in place:

Will look forward to 40mm case results - I'm likely going to replace the Miyota movement with a Seiko NH35 as hand choices are much wider due to the "Seiko Fifty five fathoms" mods that have been around for a while, I think a Seiko mod5 with the swatch dial may be interesting to see next
Thanks for the update. Seems to be coming along nicely and certainly looks the part. Have you managed to keep it on the lighter side or still early days?

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Pulled the bezel off to see how they cobbled this thing together as well as to try the fishing line trick to see if any improvement at all could be made to the completely crappy bezel action.

Went very slowly first with a Bergeron case knife but I wasn't getting good leverage, so I moved to my trusty budget case opener I have sharpened.

Has the clicky aluminum ring setup. Lots of plastic bits in the channel and now all over my bench either from poor manufacturing standards or that you slowly eat the teeth off of the bezel every time you turn it...

You can see a small hytrel ring that's asymmetric and not well placed in the bezel .

Used my friend Stren:

Cut it to size, dropped it in the bezel groove just above the crappy hytrel ring, then snapped the bezel on by hand- it did actually help quite a bit.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: kidcreole

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas
Opened another one. This one has no ring at all.

Actually put two rings of fishing line (0.45 and 0.40mm) in this one as well as a bit of lead tape behind the fake motion works plate- both made a nice difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: lost-cavalier

lost-cavalier

prisoner of time
Supporter
Certified
5/11/22
Interesting to learn about the bezel trick, wasn't aware of that one

Whilst waiting to see the feedback on the case @Pinion Minion and if it's suitable I threw the dial into an NH36 powered air king homage :LOL:

Reactions: Pinion Minion