• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blanc Pain X Swatch metal mod

lost-cavalier

prisoner of time
Supporter
Certified
5/11/22
Hi all,

If you've been following the Moonswatch metal mod from @Eddio thread here then then there was a question on if this was possible with the new Blancpain X Swatch Fifty Fathoms...

Rather than going off topic on that thread I had a go and thought I'd post up what I found out - a couple of things to point out:

1. Look away if you are in any way sensitive to uneducated people with zero skill having a go :)
2. I don't have the required tools to make measurements, but hopefully this gives some people insight into what is possible

So here's how I got on - I purchased a couple of things - a rep BP Swatch from Ali Express and this rep metal case here:

HTN1mn.png

The metal case I chose was in blue, actually much nicer than the pictures with white lettering that match my chosen bp swatch

The case back of the bp swatch just pop's off with a case tool - there's a couple of parts to it - the fake auto wider comes out as a unit leaving a rather small Sunon movement - I tried to read the movement type, looked like ST35 but a google doesn't show anything

Test fitting the movement I dropped the unit straight into the metal case and immediately hit a snag... the BP X Swatch is smaller than the rep case that I have... so that means the dial drops in, and in my situation, is perfectly sized to snag and pop off when prying it back out, taking the hands with it!

in the end I realised that the dial just isn't suited due to size and will require attaching to the movement and being suspended, rather than resting against a ring/rehault and securing the movement in place, as with the much easier Moonswatch, so proceeded to take a Dremel and reduce the size of the movement so it fit within the supplied movement holder - I snipped the posts on the dial and proceeded to use take to glue the movement to the ring and the dial to the movement (I told you it would be offensive to anyone with any sense of professionalism :D )

Once this was done I reassembled to get an idea of what it would look like if successfully executed!

As the case is better suited for a Miyota movement perhaps in the future an 8245 could be used with the swatch face... either that or an NH35 - I'm just not sure how to get around the fact that the two are different sizes (unlike the moonswatch which seem to be 1:1) - note the case sizes side to side comparision

So all in an interesting start and worth the money for entertainment factor alone - hopefully this is of use to our more experienced (and competent!) members and they can suggest if worth trying one of the mechanical movements and how to approach the dial and hand attachment

Last edited:

Cooper627

Getting To Know The Place
29/11/22
Ohio, USA
looks awesome! the metal case color is much nicer than the swatch one... Maybe i should pick one of these up, or get a few moonswatches 🤔

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
It would be awesome to see the dial mated with a mechanical movement in a metal case. Excellent work and write up!

• Love
Reactions: lost-cavalier

lost-cavalier

prisoner of time
Supporter
Certified
5/11/22
I like those options and agree that 40mm would be the best approach - the 43mm case I got (which I do like!) states:

Case material : 316L stainless steel case
Case diameter : 45mm without crown
Case thickness : 16mm
Glass : Special scratch proof mineral glass
Lug size : 23mm
Suitable dial : 31.7mm-34.3mm dial
Fit movement :
NH35 NH36
Miyota 8205 8215 821A、Mingzhu DG 2813 3804 Seagull 1612、ETA 2836

The movement holder I ordered is the Miyota 8205 one

As the dial only just goes into the opening and sticks I'm going to take a guess at it actually being 31.5mm and just too small....

I've ordered a Miyota 8205 and see how the alignment is and if I can get away with the 43mm case .... wonder if a chapter ring may hide a multitude of sins in the future :oops:

Last edited:

Pinion Minion

World Class Breaker of Movements
Supporter
Certified
5/8/22
Texas

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
It would be awesome to see the dial mated with a mechanical movement in a metal case. Excellent work and write up!
Was thinking the same thing. Since the dial isn't going to be mounted correctly, you could just about use any movement that will physically fit in the case.

Lots of options, but you're off to a great start.

Reactions: lost-cavalier

lost-cavalier

prisoner of time
Supporter
Certified
5/11/22
The Miyota 8215 arrived so proceeded to fit this - my conclusion with the dial size (of circa 31.5mm) that the correct case to use would be a 40mm > 42mm rather than the 45mm case I got

That aside, as I have the case now, there is a need to raise the movement up 0.5mm that would have been done with a correct size dial - I've ordered a 32mm 0.5mm gasket that will do this job, I've also taken a punt on a 31mm silver chapter ring to hide my offensive bodging :)

If it works I'll post up the link, if it doesn't then I may live with a gap between dial and case!

Also ordered up some replacement blue hands to fit the 82xx movement

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
The Miyota 8215 arrived so proceeded to fit this - my conclusion with the dial size (of circa 31.5mm) that the correct case to use would be a 40mm > 42mm rather than the 45mm case I got

That aside, as I have the case now, there is a need to raise the movement up 0.5mm that would have been done with a correct size dial - I've ordered a 32mm 0.5mm gasket that will do this job, I've also taken a punt on a 31mm silver chapter ring to hide my offensive bodging :)

If it works I'll post up the link, if it doesn't then I may live with a gap between dial and case!

Also ordered up some replacement blue hands to fit the 82xx movement

Hi mate is this still the 45mm case or did you manage to find smaller? Some of the smaller ones mentioned earlier had less desirable aluminium inserts.