• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best watch repair/mod service in Canada

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
Alright apologies for the delay. I've got a P.O. that I picked up cheap/was one of my first reps. It had to get serviced, went back to the TD came back with the AR coating damaged. I wasn't looking to ship it back again as I was already over $50 USD in just shipping so I started looking within Canada.

This is my experience with this watchmaker. He's not on the RWI trusted list or anything like that this is an independent review.
jkKtAR.jpg
I circled the areas where the AR coating was messed up. I screenshot my previous post cause I couldn't find the picture.

​​I tried to get the most harsh daylight for comparasin. But I can tell you the glass is now perfect. Anything you're seeing in the picture is just reflection.
jkKB88.jpg

So while I was there I asked about other services.

He works on all movements, all watches, does waterproofing, can get gen parts you just have to talk to him. While I was there he showed me APs, Daytonas, Paneris and had some movements that he had swapped. He takes shipping of watches all that. So feel free to call or text, say what you have, what you're looking for and he can try and quote you. I will definitely be bringing some other watches to him.

And again this is an independent review, I'm not trying to take away from and Trusted watchmakers but dealing in my own currency and not worrying about customs is a nice bonus for me.

https://renown-watch-services.busine...edium=referral

Last edited:

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
I have also contacted him, will be sending a watch in the next week for a full service and waterproofing : )

Any news??

On my side, I find I'm not as active on the forum as real life seems to be getting in the way.

That being said I pressure tested/waterproof 3 watches recently, got my receipts showing all 3 are good to 10 bar (100m) I'm super happy with the services, and the prices are very, very fair.

Reactions: Maxx496

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
Any news??

On my side, I find I'm not as active on the forum as real life seems to be getting in the way.

That being said I pressure tested/waterproof 3 watches recently, got my receipts showing all 3 are good to 10 bar (100m) I'm super happy with the services, and the prices are very, very fair.

Yes I contacted him, we spoke on the phone, seems like a great guy and knowledgeable watch-smith. Very rep friendly. I was going to send him my VSF126610 but I just got it and am too attached right now. I have made a plan to send it at the end of the month. It won’t be easy to be away from my baby, but I’ll do it. The work will be a complete overhaul, ultrasonic cleaning and pressure test.

Rearview

Horology Curious
25/7/21
Yes I contacted him, we spoke on the phone, seems like a great guy and knowledgeable watch-smith. Very rep friendly. I was going to send him my VSF126610 but I just got it and am too attached right now. I have made a plan to send it at the end of the month. It won’t be easy to be away from my baby, but I’ll do it. The work will be a complete overhaul, ultrasonic cleaning and pressure test.
About how much is he charging for servicing?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

CTbeforeLP

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/12/21
Canada
I will be sending my VSF DJ41 for a full service and crystal swap. And a ARF DJ41 for a dial swap with a CF blue dial!

I'll let you guys know how it goes

drunkensheep

Horology Curious
27/5/15
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I decided to send my rep Omega Seamaster Spectre edition to Somal Watches & Parts (noted above). I’m located in Alberta, so had to ship to Ontario. Really good experience, quick replies by email and they reached out by phone when they received to discuss the quote. Obviously it will depend on the work, but prices consistent with what I paid for similar service with Avee8or a few years ago.

Reactions: APjumbo

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I decided to send my rep Omega Seamaster Spectre edition to Somal Watches & Parts (noted above). I’m located in Alberta, so had to ship to Ontario. Really good experience, quick replies by email and they reached out by phone when they received to discuss the quote. Obviously it will depend on the work, but prices consistent with what I paid for similar service with Avee8or a few years ago.

Who?

Post the link?

Mr Luxe

Blue Horseshoe Loves Anacott Steel
9/3/21
North America
I posted about my experience with Somal and others earlier...scroll back a page or two. There are some great, rep-friendly options in Canada.

Reactions: drunkensheep

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
45e5df6bbe55e96b037afc0ac99d3803.jpeg

47f31ff0a5bf81d35753ba9690aab7e7.jpg

Here are the pictures of my VSF 126610 apart from Renown Watch Service. Booked in was a complete overhaul, ultrasonic cleaning and water proofing.

Reactions: CTbeforeLP

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
Ok I have received my watch back from Renown Watch Services. Here is the breakdown:

I asked for a complete overhaul, ultrasonic cleaning and pressure test.

Watch was sent, received on Feb 28

Watch was completed by March 4th

Watch was sent back, received on March 10

He did not charge or invoice me until I received the watch.

The cost was $275 for the overhaul and $20 for the pressure test + shipping. He also removed a scratch on the clasp at no charge.

I am very pleased with his service and how fast the watch was back in my hands. Pressure tested to 10 bar. It turned out to be a very good experience.

drunkensheep

Horology Curious
27/5/15
I posted about my experience with Somal and others earlier...scroll back a page or two. There are some great, rep-friendly options in Canada.

Yep. It was your post that sent me in the right direction. Thank you for the very detailed breakdown of some options. I also reached out to WJ, who provided a quick response as well, but decided to go with Somal.

Reactions: Mr Luxe

Samgobigs

11/2/20
Ok I have received my watch back from Renown Watch Services. Here is the breakdown:

I asked for a complete overhaul, ultrasonic cleaning and pressure test.

Watch was sent, received on Feb 28

Watch was completed by March 4th

Watch was sent back, received on March 10

He did not charge or invoice me until I received the watch.

The cost was $275 for the overhaul and $20 for the pressure test + shipping. He also removed a scratch on the clasp at no charge.

I am very pleased with his service and how fast the watch was back in my hands. Pressure tested to 10 bar. It turned out to be a very good experience.

How has your watch been performing since you received it? I have the same watch as you, and also thinking about sending it over to Renown.

After the service, how accurate does it keep time? And did you send it in for a service because there was an issue or was it more of a preventative service?

I do like how he sent you a photograph showing the work done.

I had a bad experience with another watchsmith (different province altogether) so I’m a little more cautious this time and only sending to a watchsmith that other people can recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
How has your watch been performing since you received it? I have the same watch as you, and also thinking about sending it over to Renown.

After the service, how accurate does it keep time? And did you send it in for a service because there was an issue or was it more of a preventative service?

I do like how he sent you a photograph showing the work done.

I had a bad experience with another watchsmith (different province altogether) so I’m a little more cautious this time and only sending to a watchsmith that other people can recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The watch was performing great. I had to send it back because there was a little piece of dust left behind the crystal, I just received it again today.
He reimbursed me for the shipping and included another pressure test free of charge.

I’ll update in a few weeks but he did a complete overhaul and cleaning / lubrication. I sent it in as a new watch with no problems, but to get a service for longevity. Great service.

Reactions: Momo666