• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best watch repair/mod service in Canada

pooseefila

Known Member
12/2/19
Oh Canada
Hi, for our friends in Canada. I finally took the plunge and contacted Victor. Since I am local, I was even able to set an appt and have the work done while I wait. Super nice guy and knowledgeable... worked with grandfather clocks way back in the day.

I would 100% recommend him for repairs and servicing. He is listed in this thread. Info copied here for ease.

Victor Chow
Dixie Rd near Eglinton Ave
Mississauga, ON
(905) 629-9013

hosanci

Horology Curious
12/4/21
This thread is really helpful for getting a rep serviced in Canada. I am in the process of getting my first rep and the one thing holding me back is the ability to get it serviced. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful!

Dferreira

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/18
It’s worth mentioning that there was a horrible review left by a rep watch owner on Reddit about Swiss watch and tool.

Basically he ruined the 4 rep watches and then when the owner brought up the issues to him, he said “I don’t work on rep watches,” and turned him away. Used glue and loctite in places that it shouldn’t have been used, and scratched up dials and hour markers.

To clarify, avoid these guys below:
Swiss Watch Material & Tools Ltd.
23 -16 Sims Crescent,
Richmond Hill ON L4B 2P1
Tel: 905-597-0738
Fax: 905-597-0739
Toll Free Phone: 1-888-644-0647
Toll Free Fax: 1-888-644-0698
Email: [email protected]
Terry

Last edited:

Mr Luxe

Blue Horseshoe Loves Anacott Steel
9/3/21
North America
Hi all, I've made contact with, and/or have used the services of some of the mentioned above. Please note that these are MY experiences and opinions and yours may differ:

1) Shane Ede-the greeting on his voicemail says he has shut down due to COVID, but may be opening up again once things calm down in Ontario.
2) Swiss Watch Material & Tools-very poor communication, did not reply to phone messages nor email queries. Not recommended.
3) WJ Watch Repair and Supply-very poor communication, again no reply to phone/email queries. Not recommended.
3) Somal Canada-excellent communication by phone and email (usually replies within an hour). They have a website including an Amazon and eBay presence, selling movements and supplies. Very quick turnaround and accurate estimates. Able to work on nearly all movements and brands. Highly recommended.
4) Victor Chow-no contact made, but was recommend by a colleague. Apparently does excellent and reasonably priced work. I will reach out when I need work done again.
5) Avee8tor- initially good communication, but as of late hasn't replied to queries. If he is indeed out of the game, and/or not interested in taking on new clients, common courtesy suggests that he should mention that when asked. Can't recommend him because of this.

J_rwi

21/2/21
Canada
Plus one for Victor. Reached out to him for some work done on watches. He is a great watchsmith with very reasonable pricing in the GTA area.

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
Great list, thanks for updating recently, I will be contacting all of these shops this weekend, will post how the communication goes.

Reactions: APjumbo

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
GGEuroHEADSHOT Curious if you've reached out yet and what if any you've gotten for responses or if you took a watch anywhere.

I messaged aviator a while back I think it's safe to assume he's staying retired.

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
[mention]Allthenamesweretaken [/mention] Shit, I totally forgot I said I was going to do this was extremely busy all weekend. I might have some time this upcoming!

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
There's no onus on you to do it. Was just curious if you had. I will most likely reach out to Victor at some point to see if he does waterproofing, not that I'm getting into a lake anytime soon.

drunkensheep

Horology Curious
27/5/15
I’m interested for Calgary as well. Also spoke to Avee8tor who had done some previous work for me and can confirm he is retired.

Reactions: Mulberry

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
I'm going to be contacting a guy shortly in Ontario. I have a few old pocket watches that need service and I need to get the AR coating removed from my Omega. I was going to wait untill after this week and then contact him.

He's not recommended here on RWI but I will post my expirence and when I talk to him I'll engage him in all rep related conversation.

Reactions: GGEuroHEADSHOT

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
I'm going to be contacting a guy shortly in Ontario. I have a few old pocket watches that need service and I need to get the AR coating removed from my Omega. I was going to wait untill after this week and then contact him.

He's not recommended here on RWI but I will post my expirence and when I talk to him I'll engage him in all rep related conversation.

Please do!!

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
So I reached out to a guy, he works on reps, if you check his Google reviews he's got a Hublot, a Pam and a carty all taken apart and stuff. I'm hoping to get my watch out to him on Tuesday. Will update.

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
Ya I was waiting to get everything back so I could post pics and comparasins properly. He finished removing the AR coating g from my Omega within a day it's been ready for pick up for a while but I also have him a vintage gen to work on that I know was in rough shape. I've gotten plenty of updates, was just waiting as I wanted to show the quality of work.

I took some before pics to show the flaws in the AR coating so I wanted to have the finished side by side to post.

From what he's sent me it looks really good.

Reactions: GGEuroHEADSHOT

GGEuroHEADSHOT

Renowned Member
21/8/21
Canada
Ya I was waiting to get everything back so I could post pics and comparasins properly. He finished removing the AR coating g from my Omega within a day it's been ready for pick up for a while but I also have him a vintage gen to work on that I know was in rough shape. I've gotten plenty of updates, was just waiting as I wanted to show the quality of work.

I took some before pics to show the flaws in the AR coating so I wanted to have the finished side by side to post.

From what he's sent me it looks really good.

If he provides good service in Canada, once you post an update with pics I’ll probably send you a PM to get his contact info.

Mr Luxe

Blue Horseshoe Loves Anacott Steel
9/3/21
North America
If he provides good service in Canada, once you post an update with pics I’ll probably send you a PM to get his contact info.

If he ends up being good, please post his contact info on the board in the event that others are in need. The good ones are far and few between.