• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Australian watchmaker, rep friendly!

Alfred

Horology Curious
20/2/24
@marrickville, perhaps a silly question but are you based in.... Marrickville? I'm close by in Sydney and have just bought my first franken/rep, so am looking for someone with mod/service expertise for when I'm due!
Cheers

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
@marrickville, perhaps a silly question but are you based in.... Marrickville? I'm close by in Sydney and have just bought my first franken/rep, so am looking for someone with mod/service expertise for when I'm due!
Cheers
No he's not drop him a PM and if he's not too busy and up for the work you can just post it too him and he'll post it back.

Reactions: Alfred

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
What we appear to not have in AUS is someone to work on chronograph movements, such as the SA4130.
On one hand, I'm grateful that it stops me spending as much money on reps as I would, but on the other, I really want to pick up a Daytona and am reluctant to do so without on-shore service options.

tongsui

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/5/14
What we appear to not have in AUS is someone to work on chronograph movements, such as the SA4130.
On one hand, I'm grateful that it stops me spending as much money on reps as I would, but on the other, I really want to pick up a Daytona and am reluctant to do so without on-shore service options.

Yeah unfortunately due to the fiddly nature of clone chronographs , performing full strip down service on them can be time consuming and risky as individual parts are expensive/not readily available.

It might be more economical just to buy a brand new dd4130 or sh4130 etc to swap out completely. Just my thoughts 😅

Reactions: DiggerOfWatches

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Yeah unfortunately due to the fiddly nature of clone chronographs , performing full strip down service on them can be time consuming and risky as individual parts are expensive/not readily available.

It might be more economical just to buy a brand new dd4130 or sh4130 etc to swap out completely. Just my thoughts 😅
Thanks mate - that's the direction I'm leaning towards.

By all accounts, the DD/SA4130 is a very decent movement and needing a replacement within a couple of years seems unlikely. The SH4130 seems to be more of a gamble at this stage.

So, I know what I'd start with - Clean or BTF - and hope DD movements are still available if I need to get a replacement.

Thanks for helping me justify another $1,200 AUD out the door! 😵‍💫

tongsui

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/5/14
@tongsui @SS72 - that's US 300 - 600 price range guys?

Only asking to plan ahead...am heading blindly (it seems) for a 4th chrono

I hadn't even thought of future servicing:unsure:

Best,
From my sources , dd4130(no engravings ) they are coming down in price , can be had for around 1800 to 2000CNY + shipping

Sh4130 is probably cheaper than dd4130 , but not as easy to source .

Also now there is a "street legal 4130" aka dandong sl4801 which is also a direct replacement of 4130 , dial, hands and case is compatible except stem. They are much cheaper at around 1100 CNY + shipping, the only down side is that the automatic rotor only charges the watch in one direction , noisy rotor too

Tommygunzzzz

Sorry who are?
Supporter
Certified
16/12/21
Australia
Thanks mate - that's the direction I'm leaning towards.

By all accounts, the DD/SA4130 is a very decent movement and needing a replacement within a couple of years seems unlikely. The SH4130 seems to be more of a gamble at this stage.

So, I know what I'd start with - Clean or BTF - and hope DD movements are still available if I need to get a replacement.

Thanks for helping me justify another $1,200 AUD out the door! 😵‍💫
If it helps - I’ve 4 DD4130s that I rotate during the week and all running well since I bought them (ranging 6-18months since purchase)