• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF vs VRF - GMT II 116710LN (clone 3186) - GAMECHANGING BATTLE.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
No. I haven't had a chance to do any watch work or get the parts to fix the issue. The movement is still in parts.

I think I will just use a VRF base 3135 and order all the 3186 parts and do that. The SH is really crappy.

Haha, if you remember, this was always my first assumption. The SH3135 is not the best IMO and then building a SH3186 on this base with so many fragile parts... that doesn’t sound like a good plan to me :)

Reactions: occb2 and KJ2020

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Haha, if you remember, this was always my first assumption. The SH3135 is not the best IMO and then building a SH3186 on this base with so many fragile parts... that doesn’t sound like a good plan to me :)

Yeah. After the tear down I saw just how crappy the SH was compared to the VR that I serviced and it is night and day. So if I do a working 3186 it will be on the VR lower and the 3186 parts.

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
I received my ARF few days ago and WOW - it's a marvellous OOTB rep !

I purchased it from a member who had it serviced and the watch runs great.

I also have the VRF which in my opinion doesn't look as good even though VRF nailed the dial and have a better movement. ARF has this GEN feeling with the better polish, better bezel action, incredible bracelet, really good SELS and an impressive crystal with proper blackhole effect! I mean look at this picture:

IMG_42642f304b8a565db7b2.jpg

For reference, here is a picture of my Franken VRF (from what you can see GEN : bezel, insert, xtal, dial and datewheel) next to the stock ARF.

IMG_42669a7669abf368c202.jpg

Since, to me the ARF case and bracelet are better, I will switch over the GEN parts on it together with the VR3185...

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Nice pics man.
No doubt that the ARF is a great OOB.
Only the movement is not the best IMO. I always said, if you want good OOB, go with ARF. I did a review with some VRF parts and my gen GMT. VR movement is way better base for Franken. In terms of case, I think both are good, ARF maybe a bit better because of rehaut. I build my Franken on VR base but I was only using case and movement. Therefore, it’s a perfect base for me. For everyone who wants a nice OOB experience, go with ARF and don’t use the gmt hand set that often ;)

cd56e600f0eaa174c5aaca5694d3af47.jpg

5ffd7c058374f6e0b85323838ca92ec2.jpg

Reactions: KJ2020 and jcher

gj1992

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/10/16
Germany
Yeah. After the tear down I saw just how crappy the SH was compared to the VR that I serviced and it is night and day. So if I do a working 3186 it will be on the VR lower and the 3186 parts.

Thats really bad news, I ordered my ARF last week, now I am afraid that I made a mistake. So how much money do you think I have to spent and which parts I have to change until the movement is good enough for daily use ?

I was going to buy these parts:
3186-657
3186-260
but now Im a bit confused

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thats really bad news, I ordered my ARF last week, now I am afraid that I made a mistake. So how much money do you think I have to spent and which parts I have to change until the movement is good enough for daily use ?

3186-657
3186-260

These are the gen parts recommended to install on the ARF SH3186. For about the same amount, you can buy a VR3185 from thrillofhunt and just swap in the better movement.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...ing-hour-parts

Even with gen parts, the SH3135 base is not as good as the VR3135 base.

Last edited:
Reactions: gj1992

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

3186-657
3186-260

You haven't made a mistake. The ARF is a clearly superior watch OOTB IMO in all respects other than the movement and datewheel. Both those issues can be corrected with a VR3185 movement, which comes with a good DW. Again, my opinion.

Reactions: jcher and gj1992

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
You haven't made a mistake. The ARF is a clearly superior watch OOTB IMO in all respects other than the movement and datewheel. Both those issues can be corrected with a VR3185 movement, which comes with a good DW. Again, my opinion.

Great tip. I am going to order one when I get home.
Does this movement slot into the Noob BLRO with the CHS timebomb?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great tip. I am going to order one when I get home.
Does this movement slot into the Noob BLRO with the CHS timebomb?

The 3185/6 clones are quite a bit larger diameter than the ETA clones so a different (custom) movement holder is needed. I've read about a crystal gasket being used, it's that tight a fit. It's been done, though not by me yet.

tdx18

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/10/19
In terms of switching movements (ARF to VRF):

Do the hands from ARF fit the VR movement? So, let's say I were to have the ARF already and were to just purchase the VRF movement, would this work (with the required expertise provided, ofc.) straight or do I need anything else to accomplish that?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
In terms of switching movements (ARF to VRF):

Do the hands from ARF fit the VR movement? So, let's say I were to have the ARF already and were to just purchase the VRF movement, would this work (with the required expertise provided, ofc.) straight or do I need anything else to accomplish that?

I expect this to work as a direct swap. I'm waiting on a VR3185 movement now to swap into an ARF. Ofc I will post results.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
I figured out what I'm going to do. But someone please speak up if they know this won't work:

Vrf Base- rehaut and casework (slimming the lugs and filing the caseback) to be done by Tomrep
ARF sub bracelet, midlinks polished by Tomrep
Everything else (full bezel assembly, dial, hands, datewheel, crystal) gen.

Really the only thing I'm wondering is if the ARF sub bracelet will fit the VRF case. And if you are wondering why I would do such a thing, three words: glidelock clasps really tickle my pickle. And the VRF caseback can be slimmed half a millimeter or so I hope?

Horology Curious
15/3/19
Hi guys,

one newbie question here.

im planning to get an ARF 116710ln gmt masterII, but realizing that the worst part is the dw.

may i know where can i purchase a good dw and the price?

how do i able to change it after that? Does the seller offer this changing service?

thanks...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi guys,

im planning to get an ARF 116710ln gmt masterII, but realizing that the worst part is the dw.

how do i able to change it after that? Does the seller offer this changing service?

thanks...

You will need to decide how much you want to spend on a DW. You can get a better (thinner than ARF) aftermarket DW for around $35. Or you can buy a gen Rolex 3135 DW for around $150. Check Ebay or member sales here. Sellers do not install, you need a watchmaker or a modder here to do that.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi guys,

thanks...

You will need to decide how much you want to spend on a DW. You can get a better (thinner than ARF) aftermarket DW for around $35. Or you can buy a gen Rolex 3135 DW for around $150. Check Ebay or member sales here. Sellers do not install, you need a watchmaker or a modder here to do that.

Horology Curious
15/3/19

Bro, thank you for the information.

i am willing to spend $150 for a gen dw. Problem is nobody able to install the dw for me here.

do you know anyone reliable who can do that for me?
or should i learn to install myself? Any tutorial video to refer?

thanks...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Bro, thank you for the information.

i am willing to spend $150 for a gen dw. Problem is nobody able to install the dw for me here.

do you know anyone reliable who can do that for me?
or should i learn to install myself? Any tutorial video to refer?

thanks...

Where are you located? You can send your watch and replacement DW to a forum watchsmith or modder.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 do you happen to know if ARF sub bracelet will fit VRF case? Tagging you cus you have answers to most questions I ask lol

Pretty sure it will bro. There are issues wirh the VRF 116610LN and LV lugs being slightly narrower than normal (~19.9mm) and other factory's bracelets won't fit those models. So that was one of the things occb2 (Rob) checked after getting both pieces soon after they released. I recall reading his post stating that the VRF 126710 case (that's how it's engraved) is in fact 20mm and will accept other factory's bracelets. Maybe he will chime in to confirm if he gets a chance, or I'm sure you could find it earlier in this thread.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Pretty sure it will bro. There are issues wirh the VRF 116610LN and LV lugs being slightly narrower than normal (~19.9mm) and other factory's bracelets won't fit those models. So that was one of the things occb2 (Rob) checked after getting both pieces soon after they released. I recall reading his post stating that the VRF 126710 case (that's how it's engraved) is in fact 20mm and will accept other factory's bracelets. Maybe he will chime in to confirm if he gets a chance, or I'm sure you could find it earlier in this thread.

Well I saw where he said that it will accept the ARF gmt bracelet. But I didnt know if the sel fit would be different. I suppose I will find out lol.