• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF vs VRF - GMT II 116710LN (clone 3186) - GAMECHANGING BATTLE.

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Still waiting for the “GAME CHANGING BATTLE” thread title was a little over the top maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A GMTII with a cloned Rolex movement and no longer an ICHS or a CHS timebomb and you don't think it is a gamechanger?
I think it's momentous.
It is just that I am not into the LN otherwise I would have ordered one also.
If they can pull off a BLNR with a reasonable bezel insert i.e. comparable to the one on my GMF I will be first in line. Same for a CHNR and while I am at ut probably the BLRO too .....

Reactions: occb2 and KJ2020

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Still waiting for the “GAME CHANGING BATTLE” thread title was a little over the top maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not for you. I had posted that here on RWI we have different levels of members. Some that just order a watch and want to wear it. Some who will get it serviced and water seal and that is it. Then you have those that might change the crown and the crystal, maybe bezel and that is it. Then you get nut cases like me. LOL.

By far the last 2 ish years have been epic in my kind of rep hobby. Now I love building watches. I love building and wearing my own that I made and serviced. I have built fully real, from case to screws, 116710LN and 16700 GMT. We have had 3135 cases for years. Sean, TC, WM9, Startime, phong. We NEVER had a GMT case that took a 3185/86 movement. Yes some, including myself made 116710LN's out of Noob ETA case settings. We took Yuki's and SH's and ordered about $1000 of rolex parts and built our own 3185's. We got them to work but always with pressure on the stem due to stem hight. We made our own movement holders. I made mine out of left over crystal gaskets. LOL. Anyway now we have 2 cases that nativity take rolex 3185/86 movements. Also take all rolex parts. The one thing that is almost impossible is getting a real rolex case. As far as ceramic ones I have only got my hands on 2. 5 digit I got more.

So an example is I have a 116610LN that is all rolex but the mid case. Which I chose a noob V9 904 3135 case. Great SEL the real 97200 fit amazing. Real crystal ring fit like a charm with the real crystal the real bezel assembly went on amazing and the real 3135, dial, hands and so on fit great. Only thing I didn't like was that there was no indentation for the 3135 so I had to use the tube cut out and rotate the movement.

Another game changer that came out recently is the Noob Daytona 4130. Example. I took the noob 4130 and used a real dial all real hands. I had to replace a few movement parts with rolex not to expensive. Real crystal and real bezel. A freaking lovely watch. I wear it all the time. Part of my rotation.

Now we get 2 companies that build rolex spec cases for actual rolex GMT movements. That alone would get some of us to buy it and transfer our Yuki's into them. But not only did they come out with two cases they cloned the 3185 and the 3186 rolex movement.

Now if that is not a GAME CHANGING BATTLE in the rep industry I do not know what one is!

Also remember when I started this post, ARF was saying that their watch was coming out after CNY. VRF through theirs out there first. ARF got one to me to compare and it is superior in a lot of aspects. Bezel, bracelet, movement. Case is nice but VRF made their to take the GMT movement with out tabs. But aesthetically they are both nice cases and take rolex parts. Anyway there are a lot of threads on this. But again if you do not think this is a game changing battle in our hobby I would love to hear what would be in your eyes.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
anyone selling the ARF gmt bracelet?

If they were it would probably be in the sales section for bands.

I don't know of a lot of them that are out there. I think they are waiting for after CNY. I have one but I am using it on my watch. Very nice band. Also actually labeled correctly, although no one is going to take it off and look at the band number.

I don't know why VRF engraved theirs with the sub 97200. They also engraved their cases with 126710. I guess in preparation for the next line of GMT's. Only issue with that is they have different movements lol. But that didn't stop me from using the VRF case for my build.

mpowergmt

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Behind You
If they were it would probably be in the sales section for bands.

I don't know of a lot of them that are out there. I think they are waiting for after CNY. I have one but I am using it on my watch. Very nice band. Also actually labeled correctly, although no one is going to take it off and look at the band number.

I don't know why VRF engraved theirs with the sub 97200. They also engraved their cases with 126710. I guess in preparation for the next line of GMT's. Only issue with that is they have different movements lol. But that didn't stop me from using the VRF case for my build.

I did the same. Misiekped just built a basically gen VRF franken for me which is on its way. I can't wait anymore after having my own 116710 noob CHS franken stopped working correctly since august...

only downside is I haven't been capable of getting an ARF bracelet in over 3 weeks, I've tried everywhere but it seems it's just not possible

Fulcanelli

Known Member
7/7/19
EU
In terms of longevity what are the key parts to upgrade to real Rolex? Movement obviously at some point and dial and hands are a must for me as the white gold won’t tarnish. What about the bezel assembly? Is the rep bezel going to deteriorate, or is it made or the same type of ceramic as the gen?

Last edited:

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
In terms of longevity what are the key parts to upgrade to real Rolex? Movement obviously at some point and dial and hands are a must for me as the white gold won’t tarnish. What about the bezel assembly? Is the rep bezel going to deteriorate, or is it made or the same type of ceramic as the gen?

That is a very good question. Too early to answer.

I can tell you what I did and doing again because I screeched my dial.

I got real crystal, real crystal ring, I used the ARF bezel assembly took out the insert and put in a real rolex one. I put a real date wheel in the movement. I used a VRF case and a ARF movement. Now when I pressed my hour hand on it made contact with the dial and when I swept it across 12 hours it made a round scratch on the dial. I have another dial buy it is super Lume and not CL. So thanks to a member here I just got a dial and matching hands.

I plan on removing the SH and servicing it. Right now all I see to service is the spring but I will get more into that when I have it apart. Both movements seem to have the jumping hour hand spring issue. While the VR seems to be loosing or skipping when adjusting, my ARF jumping hour just gave up. I can adjust old school by going thought 24 hrs with the min wheel like before quickset was made. I am sure that tat is ta simple spring fix.

Its 320 am I am tired. I hope I got that right. LOL. Good night

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
A GMTII with a cloned Rolex movement and no longer an ICHS or a CHS timebomb and you don't think it is a gamechanger?
I think it's momentous.
It is just that I am not into the LN otherwise I would have ordered one also.
If they can pull off a BLNR with a reasonable bezel insert i.e. comparable to the one on my GMF I will be first in line. Same for a CHNR and while I am at ut probably the BLRO too .....

VRF has BLNR as well with that movement. I remember the bezel being quite okay but maybe not as good as GMF but you can swap them I guess.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
VRF has BLNR as well with that movement. I remember the bezel being quite okay but maybe not as good as GMF but you can swap them I guess.

Yes. You are correct that VRF also has the BLNR. Bezel is no where close as nice as the ARF. Both the ARF and the VRF need the insert changed IMO. ARF went with Rolex design while VRF made their own. They aren't "BAD" but if you own a real one you will see and feel the difference on the click. Also ARF uses compression like the real rolex bezel where VRF glues their insert in.

Hope that helps.

Right now if people are asking which out of the box GMT is the best looking and most reliable and they want it RIGHT NOW. Go for the Noob ETA ICHS. No one will know and only 2 times a day can they tell the GMT hand is not in the correct spot and they need to be sitting right next to you with a loop on or amazing eyesight.

If you want the closest thing to a real one you really need to get both the ARF and VRF and just have fun. You will need some real rolex parts also. But for a fraction of the money you will have an amazing GMT that will look just like a Rolex and behave like it. The jury is still out on the movements. I am a big fan of the ARF movement. But the VRF isn't bad either.

Reactions: Kalev007

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Yes. You are correct that VRF also has the BLNR. Bezel is no where close as nice as the ARF. Both the ARF and the VRF need the insert changed IMO. ARF went with Rolex design while VRF made their own. They aren't "BAD" but if you own a real one you will see and feel the difference on the click. Also ARF uses compression like the real rolex bezel where VRF glues their insert in.

Hope that helps.

Right now if people are asking which out of the box GMT is the best looking and most reliable and they want it RIGHT NOW. Go for the Noob ETA ICHS. No one will know and only 2 times a day can they tell the GMT hand is not in the correct spot and they need to be sitting right next to you with a loop on or amazing eyesight.

If you want the closest thing to a real one you really need to get both the ARF and VRF and just have fun. You will need some real rolex parts also. But for a fraction of the money you will have an amazing GMT that will look just like a Rolex and behave like it. The jury is still out on the movements. I am a big fan of the ARF movement. But the VRF isn't bad either.

Thanks, that explains it good.

You meant GMF I guess for out of the box as Noob comes as CHS only.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA

For the ARF, can a gen parts be added (like click spring and tension spring, anything else?) so that the "click" is gen-like? Or is it best to just get the whole gen assembly?

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
For the ARF, can a gen parts be added (like click spring and tension spring, anything else?) so that the "click" is gen-like? Or is it best to just get the whole gen assembly?

Absolutely! The ARF is better than the VRF bezel wise. (Understand that the bezel is the assembly that is around the crystal. It has a crystal ring, spacer, click spring hydral nylon gasket and then the actual bezel and an insert). The ARF looks just like a Rolex. Where VRF doesn't. VRF works the same when installed but example. The bezel is solid metal. Rolex and ARF has spaces between them. VRF spacer is thicker. ARF and rolex are the same. VRF uses glue to hold its bezel in, ARF and Rolex uses compression.

Now the ARF case is a great looking case. Engraved properly with the 116710. The top of the rehaut needs a little polishing, LOL but it is an amazing case. ONLY thing I don't like, and this is MY personal feeling, is the way the movement is held into the case. Rolex, the movement fits right in and there are 2 movement case screws on the movement that when you lift puts pressure on a lip and locks the movement in place. Now VRF did this. What ARF did, and it is not bad, is make it for you to place the movement in and use tabs and screws to hold it in. Lots of watches do this. My personal preference is the way rolex does it. With the way ARF did it, I have had movements come loose.

Understand Rolex also uses this type of movement installation. Example, their Daytona's. Their movements are held in by tabs.

The ARF case will accept real crystal, real bezel, real movement. What I have not checked on either watches is the tube. But the rep tubs have gotten so good, unless there is a leak coming from them I leave them alone. Plus a lot of reps you need to tap and countersink to get a real tube in. The newer JF and ARF and even the VR's a real 704 fits very well and catches well.

Hope this helps.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Absolutely! The ARF is better than the VRF bezel wise. (Understand that the bezel is the assembly that is around the crystal. It has a crystal ring, spacer, click spring hydral nylon gasket and then the actual bezel and an insert). The ARF looks just like a Rolex. Where VRF doesn't. VRF works the same when installed but example. The bezel is solid metal. Rolex and ARF has spaces between them. VRF spacer is thicker. ARF and rolex are the same. VRF uses glue to hold its bezel in, ARF and Rolex uses compression.

Your whole post is so helpful! I'm just quoting the above portion for the sake of this thread being easier to read for others.

Ok, so if I wanted to get Gen dial, hands, date wheel, ARF will readily accept those? To go Gen crystal and insert, and to get the gen haptic feedback click feel, I would add all the above aforementioned parts? Crystal ring, spacer, click spring, hydral nylon gasket? Or are some of the ARF parts fine?

As for the movement, I'm a little more inclined towards the ARF because of its function even though so far the general consensus is that the VRF is likely to be more stable. But if the ARF movement were to come loose, is it a pretty easy fix?

Lastly, would you upgrade to Gen crown? Im still learning about crown, tub, stem, etc. But it kinda sounds like you would leave it the way it is?

Thank you again for your invaluable info!

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16

Now the ARF case is a great looking case. Engraved properly with the 116710. The top of the rehaut needs a little polishing, LOL but it is an amazing case. ONLY thing I don't like, and this is MY personal feeling, is the way the movement is held into the case. Rolex, the movement fits right in and there are 2 movement case screws on the movement that when you lift puts pressure on a lip and locks the movement in place. Now VRF did this. What ARF did, and it is not bad, is make it for you to place the movement in and use tabs and screws to hold it in. Lots of watches do this. My personal preference is the way rolex does it. With the way ARF did it, I have had movements come loose.

Understand Rolex also uses this type of movement installation. Example, their Daytona's. Their movements are held in by tabs.

The ARF case will accept real crystal, real bezel, real movement. What I have not checked on either watches is the tube. But the rep tubs have gotten so good, unless there is a leak coming from them I leave them alone. Plus a lot of reps you need to tap and countersink to get a real tube in. The newer JF and ARF and even the VR's a real 704 fits very well and catches well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the time and these informations.
I bought a VRF movement/dial/hands and i planned to use them on an ARF (after CNY when i could get one).

Could you confirm i would be able to use the VR movement on the ARF ?

Thanks

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the time and these informations.
I bought a VRF movement/dial/hands and i planned to use them on an ARF (after CNY when i could get one).

Could you confirm i would be able to use the VR movement on the ARF ?

Thanks

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Certified
23/8/07
occb2 your input and experience is priceless and greatly appreciated, as always.

If I may, it’s worth noting that the movement tabs are what we’ve had for years—even on all current Rollie reps. The tabs coming lose are not a common issue. At least not with me, and I’ve had over 40 Rollie reps over the years.

In a perfect world, all Rollie reps would have the movement screws instead of tabs. That said, I have not had a VRF in person to compare, but I do have the ARF and the refined case machining and satin finish scream quality. I don’t mod, so I’m impressed overall with the ARF in every way. That’s just me.

I think you and I got the first two ARF. My movement has been solid over 2 months now.
d028021970287d7b5c61dad3c684cf58.plist

Last edited: