• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are Mikey Hands still available?

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Although I regret posting the passive aggressive comment that started this, I’m glad it got everyone talking. It was not meant to be taken too seriously.

Apologies to the OP for derailing this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrBeasy

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
No reason for anyone to apologize (other than Mikey for retiring...)... This thread took on a far more valuable direction that should be discussed.

blackboxes

Advisor/Supporter
Advisor
31/5/15
This is certainly a long read... :popcorn2:

Jokes aside tho, I agree with Q that this thread has certainly taken on some very interesting discussion.

We are a community of watch lovers, and there's something for everyone here. From the hardcore mad builders (you know who you are lol) to those that dabble with simple mods, it's thru conversation that we all grow. As long as we keep our conversation respectful I don't see anything wrong in engaging each other and growing together. From a sale forum mod perspective I do get annoyed seeing people claiming that their franken is the best thing since sliced bread (and use the brand thread to further shill their wares), a spade is a spade, like a franken is a franken.

But at the same time it is also just as important to give our fellow members a pat on the back sometimes and to acknowledge the journey taken, it's the camaraderie that keeps the spirit going, and to continually innovate.. that is what has led our hobby to become what it is today.

That said, it's also plain to see how the departure of Mikey has affected franken enthusiasts. Those are some very large shoes to fill (Aftermarket tachys, hands, backplate, etc etc), and with hope maybe someone might step up to the challenge. For OP's sake (and many other future franken enthusiasts) I certainly do hope so.

MrBeasy

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/2/16
Mikey is a godd@mn legend. Always such a pleasure to work with. He always helped me and answered my questions with gentlemanly grace and ever felt like he was conscending.

He helped me in other ways than just selling parts at very reasonable prices and I know for a fact there were several side projects he pursued to furtherthis hobby but didn't quite get where he wanted them to.

I would have happily paid double his prices if he asked for it.

I didn't realise he retired but if so then yes that is sad for us all- the hobby has lost a real pioneer and asset. Thanks Mikey.

Reactions: Jurgenk

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
in my previous post i wrote "like this post if you 'think i'm right'...". however it was more appropriate to had wrote "like this post if you 'agree'. gives an indication on mood in this section. There are no right or wrongs.

nice too see everyone have a calm and respectful discussion. on car forums the spanners would be out the pram already!
i get the point legend and blackboxes raises on the use or terms 'superfranken' 'ultimate franken'. really comes down to a semantic disputes that happens in all sections. just call it a franken or a genestein [if you assembled the complete watch with 100% gen parts]. most times the so-called superfranken will end up in m2m and the terminology was a ruse to gather more interest. post that really boil your blood are 'franken subs' with nothing more than pair gen springbars or strap.

It seems that a moving forward to enhance the currently very edgy standpoint of building would be the thing that’s good for a community, be good for people wanting to improve their builds or future projects. To me it just seems like some want to be stuck in the past and never evolve. There’ll always be something better, something bigger. And if you do belong to that other selected few I mentioned at last, be my guest but don’t ruin it and blame it on the others wanting to move forward with this hobby and creating things that will benefit it all. And improve an already nice Franken.

No one ever cared or mentioned the date cuts being off on more modern builds like panda etc. It was always rectangular, I started to mention it regularly, talked about it with several people and what happened? Mikey came up one day telling me he’s made a few square cuts, and guess what? They look great. Same rules apply for others that are working on a new chance to get hands made and so on.

progress is a good thing and yes there will be much interest if someone makes gen spec pyramid stack hands. i will put myself on the list and happy pay $100-150 for true gen spec. we all want to improve our frankens affordably and members creating projects will recoup funds quicker when members do not get left behind thinking they not worthy here.

don't count the chicks before they hatch. many been here long time and recall the bof-boy gen-spec case project that started with lots enthusiasm and fizzled to nothing after 3 years, had we waited there would be 90% less frankens built and no progress with domi front load builds. or the member promising gen-spec dials and hands in 2 weeks and never heard from again. the innovators like bof-boy, edge, legend, mikey, rnrprof are micro research labs, lose cash and hope to find the jackpot before they run out play money.

Reactions: legend

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
This thread has clearly outgrown its intended scope and is a rather good read already, not least because it shows the recent (relatively dark) mood and trends in our hobby. To me everyone has a point, to the extent where their opinions represent their approach to this hobby and a more general world view.

Clearly there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to life, incl. building a franken. There are so many distinct groups of hobbyists here, that I would’ve been surprised if there was any kind of consensus on anything. In my time on this forum I’ve come across many different people and they all fall in at least one of the following categories:
1. professional AP hobbyists that have or used to have a relatively easy access to gen parts (dials, tachys, movements, pushers/crowns and the like);
2. professional AP nut-heads that are willing to pay serious money for access to the treasure chests of the first group or their ready frankens;
3. professional watch makers who build/modd frankens for fun or for sale;
4. hobby project managers who employ a scientific-like approach to their builds patiently thinking through and collecting parts over long periods of time just to complete a single meticulous build;
5. dream chasers or live-fast guys, who have little access to gen parts but are keen on completing a build with whatever parts available just to accomplish a hobby goal;
6. rich guys that spare no funds for anything once they set their minds on a project that would be worth of the superfranken moniker;
7. cash stripped guys who simply want a passable franken;
8. high-life goers who want to impress their friends and business contacts;
9. stay at home guys who like to wear their pieces at home and care not about anyone else;
10. hobbyist who live in rich world countries and those who do not.
11. etc., etc., etc.

Clearly it’s hard to build a franken that would satisfy all of those groups’ preferences, budgets and world outlooks. So reminding ourselves what this hobby really is about is indeed a good start. I can only agree with what blackboxes said above and support him in his gentle reminder to self.

And to conclude, slaughterer62 once said something along these lines: our micro-budget macro-QC hobby requires more than it can deliver. Mikey’s retirement is the direct result of this: people demanding more that they can expect for their money. So I for one am all in for the good old Mikey hands pyramidal stack or not present :)

hibee999

20/10/15
No reason for anyone to apologize (other than Mikey for retiring...)... This thread took on a far more valuable direction that should be discussed.

You prompted a most interesting discussion !

I may have some Mikey hands in my cupboard - if I find them I’ll PM you.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
You prompted a most interesting discussion !

I may have some Mikey hands in my cupboard - if I find them I’ll PM you.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

I think that Garuda, SL and Q deserve the credit for prompting the discussion that pursued.

Please do let me know if you happen to have a set of hands - thank you!

Dantona1984

6/2/17
England
For every opinion who thinks the scrutiny is harsh (on other people’s description of franken/super etc) I believe this to be justified, especially in the sales thread.

If sellers were allowed to label without limits then surely newer members (like myself) would possibly be duped.

Ps....anyone have gen hands to sell haha.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
For every opinion who thinks the scrutiny is harsh (on other people’s description of franken/super etc) I believe this to be justified, especially in the sales thread.

If sellers were allowed to label without limits then surely newer members (like myself) would possibly be duped.

Ps....anyone have gen hands to sell haha.

I have a megasuperfranken hands for sale: $1900 a set - interested?

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
How do i get new hands for Roo safari? Mickey or franken..? Im tierd of my fat hands(the base) its all i see now when using my Roo.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
How do i get new hands for Roo safari? Mickey or franken..? Im tierd of my fat hands(the base) its all i see now when using my Roo.

Gen or Mikey Hands won’t fit a rep. Kthxbye. Do some research on your questions please. You’ll find plenty of answers.

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Yes but i must have the hands first then i can start modd the movement so they fit.

R3w1nd

Renowned Member
29/8/17
UK
QueTip was trying to say that with gen or mikey hands you will need a new movement altogether. Either gen AP caliber or lwo283 with DD chrono module. With those however you will need to modify the midcase of your ROOs to make crown stem adjustments, a custom made movement retaining ring and while you are at it, might as well thin the midcase a bit. Not sure all that work is worth it if all you need is a thinned pinion on the hour hand.

if slimmer hour hand base is what you are after then you can send your watch to one of our trusted moders and they can shave the hand base for you to make it more gen like.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Tompa and QueTip

flying-tommy

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
21/8/12
Yes but i must have the hands first then i can start modd the movement so they fit.

I think there is still a Franken Panda for sale. Maybe bought a Panda and then you only need Gen Safari Dial and Tachy.

Safari Dial and Tachy actually available at Chrono24.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Do some research on your desired project before wanting to talk about it. It’s like me talking about making honey, I have no fing idea about it. I don’t go on these forums either speaking about what I’d like to do if I have nfi.

Reactions: Jurgenk

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
So what is this forum for if cant ask or talk with ppl with this knowledge? I dont understand.. Im so sorry then