• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Aps 15400 super clone 3120mvt

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I don't like clone movements at first they seem like a good idea they will take Gen parts, etc. Then they stop working and need parts and service. There aren't any Rep parts available and the rep factories won't sell replacement movements.

I have a VS3235 that needs a new balance, only gen available $600.
Replacement VS3235 Not available. I did get a VR3235, which by all reports is not as good as the VS3235 for $240.
If it was a2824 rep I could buy a Real Selita sw200 for $200

I had a Panerai P9000 superclone movement that needed parts, none available, replacement movement not available.

I hate clone movements.

Steve

You’re not wrong in what you said. And the solution is simple then, just don’t buy it. A clone movement won’t magically turn the watch gen anyway, and reps are always worn for fun. So it’s a valid point, clone movement parts are hard to source, but also on the other hand, some of the parts can be replaced/upgraded with gen ones. It’s good to also keep that in mind.

sfbatman787

Renowned Member
Certified
17/4/17
You’re not wrong in what you said. And the solution is simple then, just don’t buy it. A clone movement won’t magically turn the watch gen anyway, and reps are always worn for fun. So it’s a valid point, clone movement parts are hard to source, but also on the other hand, some of the parts can be replaced/upgraded with gen ones. It’s good to also keep that in mind.
Couldn't have said it better!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

gilrob

Legendary Member
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
It would be wise for APS to have parts for their clone A3120 movement readily available. This would insure a successful launch of their 15400 model and other models that may follow. Customers like manufacturers that support their product.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Am i the only one harping over the fact that the BW doesnt have the dots on it ?

And why?

In this hobby one should be celebrating that there is progression of a clone movement done. If I have to nitpick on it, there are far more differences between this and the gen movement than just details on the balance wheel. The detail you mentioned cannot be seen when watch is worn on the wrist and cannot be seen anyway when the balance wheel is oscillating.

If you don’t like this, stick to the miyota or buy the gen. I fail to see how a detail like this on the movement forms a factor for purchase. The way I see it, there are now 3 choices for members wanting the 15400: gen, clone 3120 movement or the ZF with miyota movement. Don’t harp, just pick one of the other two choices.

I think one should be appreciative that there is this progression in the hobby rather than nitpick on some difference in the caliber. The diver replica took more than 10 years and it’s still not perfect. Likewise for the ROO. This is the first iteration for the 3120 clone movement. Give it time to evolve. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Get the gen like I did. You’ll definitely be happy with it then.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
balance wheel with weights would be hard to replicate, and the details that you demand as for this clone movement should be higher than those of 324SC since the AP cal 3120 was developed based on the manual cal 3090 which was considered one of the best finished movements in the 20th century. The overall finishing of clone 3120 probably can never match the gen.

krkqm2008

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/4/18
Dallas Texas
If only i can find a gen for a decent price legend . But you said it well. I enjoy all my reps and rather buy cars. ( which i do ).

jacklarssen

Known Member
Supporter
11/6/21
Question noob please, what are the solutions if something in the movement goes loose?

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
balance weights would be a nightmare for the factory to tune. levers will suffice.

would like to see 15450 and divers

I was just told by a tech guy who works close to the factories that technically balance wheels with weights can be mass produced but tuning them is most difficult. He said putting on a balance wheel with weights requires uninstalling a few parts from the clone movement first, though I did not fully understand the tech details he mentioned.

He is able to change the wheel into one with weights but the total cost will be several thousands of dollars so it is not cost effective.

jacklarssen

Known Member
Supporter
11/6/21
I find the black dial too glossy and the case too beveled, on all videos, but tell me if I'm wrong.

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
I have a question for some expert...
this watches with clone movements... they are more expensive because of the movement, but... the quality of the bracelet, dial, and everything else is also better? Or it is just more expensive because of the movement?
thanks.

That is something we won't have the answer to until one of our members (who has also owned a ZF 15400 or JF 15400) has it in hand. The clone movement is a big step up for sure, however I'm not sure how the quality of the bracelet and finishing on the case would be. Having never owned a ZF or JF 15400, yet after reading extensive reviews/threads here on RWI, the conclusion seemed to be that ZF finishing and quality were a bit better than JF's. Will APSF's quality be better that ZF? Nobody knows. (Although after owning a ZF diver I'm inclined to say that its not likely).

Reactions: PecMan