• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP ROO fat hour hand ring mod.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Any one else intrigued by the AP hour hand mod seen on [MENTION=64642]aflop[/MENTION]'s Chronopassion?
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=216745

I would love to find out more. I have PM'd [MENTION=64642]aflop[/MENTION] but haven't gotten any reply.

May be other members can chime in on what's going on and how difficult will it be for a good modder to do this.

wooky492

Put Some Respect On My Name
21/9/12
As far as I know, it was a special one off mod just for aflop. ;-) :whistling:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
To do this snip the hand off a rep hour hand. Then microsolder it onto a base hour hand tube of correct diameter. Use the replacement tubes that are used to repair hands. It really does not matter what the tube looks like as it is hidden by the minute hand.

rankiba

Renowned Member
26/4/13
To do this snip the hand off a rep hour hand. Then microsolder it onto a base hour hand tube of correct diameter. Use the replacement tubes that are used to repair hands. It really does not matter what the tube looks like as it is hidden by the minute hand.
Thanks for the knowledge bro

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
No Problem:
Hand%20Mod%201_zpsuuffhbja.jpg

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
No Problem:
Hand%20Mod%201_zpsuuffhbja.jpg

That's awesome!!
A picture can speak a thousand words. Thanks for sharing this mate. Really appreciated.

Although it's way beyond anything I can do so. Gotta hold up until some one offers this service.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
The one above is made from a rep hand. I snipped the ring off and machined it down on a lathe. I was able to make a nice angled top like the OEM hand. The only downside is that the hour hand is now a bit shorter, and it needs replating.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
The one above is made from a rep hand. I snipped the ring off and machined it down on a lathe. I was able to make a nice angled top like the OEM hand. The only downside is that the hour hand is now a bit shorter, and it needs replating.

Makes me wonder why can't rep factories make them thin to begin with. If the donor hand can have thin ring why not the AP rep hands.

Also in your one seems like the hand is not 100% perpendicular to the ring. the OCD in me is speaking.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
It would be very easy for the Chinese to make better 7750 hands, and for them to even make fully gen-spec LWO 283 hands.
On my sample, it is not 100% perpendicular because it is not yet soldered. :bigwink:

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
It would be very easy for the Chinese to make better 7750 hands, and for them to even make fully gen-spec LWO 283 hands.
On my sample, it is not 100% perpendicular because it is not yet soldered. :bigwink:

Ahh gotcha mate. I should have know better, a perfectionist like yourself would not have missed it. Looking forward to the end result. And if you are planning on making extra I'll be in line to pick one up for my Bumble Bee or I can send you my hands. [emoji12]

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Here is the first one I produced and shows some of the stages. Feel free to rip my approach apart, since I feel I can make better progress through critique, LOL.
Hand soldered to refinished rep ring, solder still not reshaped:
Soldered%20Hour%20Hand_zpscpsrdmaq.jpg

Comparison of unfinished hour hand with normal rep fat hour hand. You can see some solder protruding on the slim hand that was then removed by filing with a jeweller's file:
Comparison2_zpsqijn3ypl.jpg

Here is the finished "slim tube" hour hand mounted on a test dial to get a sense of what it looks like.
Dial%20Mount%202_zpsjxxlqpyo.jpg

Conclusion.
It would probably be easier to rejoin the hand to the tube with two-part watchmaker epoxy, but I have seen how the chemicals from the adhesive destroys the finish of the hands from seeing ugly hands where the "watchmaker" glued broken hands to the pinions, LOL.
Being so immersed in the R&D and the hand manufacturing process of these hands, I seriously cannot judge anymore how much of an improvement this all is.

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
It's damn nice, J
Let me know if I can order some, haha