• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP MICHAEL SCHUMACHER 44MM By J12

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
that's why I ordered just from ken. Super fast, better price and super professional

Sent from my iPhone 6

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
Geez, don't bring up about dw flaws anymore. We all know the makers won't ask the movement fac to make a new dw with improved font, square cutout and better mag for this one Schumi.

The current Schumi dw setup is the same as every J12 ROO available, only printed in red. If we're fine with the dw on those ROOs, why bring this up only now?
The same can be said to the tachy alignment. Heck, the one on PT's site isn't aligned as well.

Trivia: What if all the tachy in this batch not aligned?

*Sent from my fingers using my head*

MADRED7

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/11
Are you joking?
sent from my iPad Air

I´m not joking mate ... was involved in the whole process of developing and now wait for my piece to be handpicked ... with all the rejected pieces and certainly more crooked or incorrect examples floating around, I am OK to wait untill THE PIECE will be available for me :D

But anyway, thx for your compassion.

Dr. Theo
P.S.: ... a new dealer for me? Mmmh, my relationship with my dealer is stable since 2005 ... don´t get the horse onto new tracks!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I don't think switching dealers will help out people who want excellent Schumis when the factory delivered a first run of Schumis of varying quality, and most of the better ones are gone. No TD has a monopoly on quality units.

TimeDelux

Renowned Member
10/5/14
Just to point out: the tachys for the 44mm ROOS were very well aligned.

I can only agree mine is 110% aligned ist doesnt get better than that. 44mm Panda J12, My Roo Safari is off by a hair but thats okay. MS tachys are off by more IMHO and the spread is big. Some tachys misprinted others badly aligned. Some near perfect

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
For adjusting the datewheel they need to cut the square a little bit bigger, change the font and add a better/stronger datemag ... thats it. The date in the gen appears bigger due to the deeper date we see as the movement has the date in a different level.
Anyway, if there is a gen at the factory they used for copying, I ask myself WHY are there so many little flaws?
Answer: there is not 1 factory for the watch, but several smaller factories and supplieres for movement, datewheel, crystal, date-mag, screws, rubber strap,.... and some of them just think Schumi ROO datewheel = any other ROO white datewheel = print it red! But it´s not that simple.

Just my 0.02$

Dr. Theo is still waiting for his QC pics to show up.

Same analysis is valid for both Bee and FC 44mm so why ? One can guess that they did not hold the gen and that was just mumbo jumbo...

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I think they definitely had the gen. I just think that design changes were not made to overcome all past weaknesses. It requires a tremendous amount of coordination with many different suppliers. That is why I would be happy if Noob/J12 proceeded more slowly, systematically, and conscientiously with their releases, instead of rushing them out the door to the TDs. It results in a situation like we have now with Schumi: tremendous expectation, pre-order money gathered (by some), and (then) defective product. The market is so over-saturated with new AP models, half of which are faulty in design, that nobody can really buy them all or even want to.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
Just to point out: the tachys for the 44mm ROOS were very well aligned.

Not my 44 mm FC, the 120 is a little to the right but the Gen I checked out at Wempe had the same problem. After I pointed that out to the sales guy, he wanted to return it to AP. For 32 k you could expect someting better. For 700?

Sent from my iPhone

ukbondraider

20/9/14
What is it about the date that people dont like? Do they not like the look or the fact it is not 100% to gen.

On it own it looks good. It is red , clearly visible and well aligned in the cutout. It has a nice font (unlike Panerai number fonts) and does not look out of place at all. Yes we know about the long standing issue of the position of the date but that will always be the same for rep APs.

Even the date ring is ok imo. Glad they fixed the sub dials rings though.

Now the issue is the tachy alignment. Otherwise I would deem it a great rep.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Looking at rckh's QC photos above, I see that the movement/dial assembly is pushed too far toward 9o'clock.
It seems the tach ring and dial print are ok, but the movement is not centered in the case. If there is a movement ring, then the movement/dial can be re-centered through modification of the movement ring. Again, this is a common problem with many Rolex Sub reps. It can be remedied by a modder who has the machines and the know-how.

rolexwatchfan

Respected Member
17/8/13
Slaughterer, haven't we seen this over an over?
Mass production for hyped up crowd of enthusiasts and whomever buys this shits afterwords. I agree that most of us would pay lots more for flawless product. Maybe its time to say F-that 7750 shit! Rep DD LWO and offer top notch product os shove it up yours! That would save lots of money up front, we wouldn't have to franken anything and it would save all this above chatterbox. But then yet again, profit margin for the factories would plummet due to quality control expectations.
In another words, its a rep game, take it or find another hobby... Shame.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Slaughterer, haven't we seen this over an over?
Mass production for hyped up crowd of enthusiasts and whomever buys this shits afterwords. I agree that most of us would pay lots more for flawless product. Maybe its time to say F-that 7750 shit! Rep DD LWO and offer top notch product os shove it up yours! That would save lots of money up front, we wouldn't have to franken anything and it would save all this above chatterbox. But then yet again, profit margin for the factories would plummet due to quality control expectations.
In another words, its a rep game, take it or find another hobby... Shame.

Yes, we have seen it over and over again. Last time with the BB, almost same problem. I cannot help but shift to a more general level though. The dominant industrial idea in China seems to be: build as much stuff as possible, even if people do not want it or need it. Look at that $50b replica of Manhattan 150 miles away from Beijing, look at all of those ghost cities. Nobody lives in them, nobody wants them. There is a tremendous price to be paid when nobody wants this stuff. Look at the recent Navy and Grey Themes 20144 SIHH reps from Noob. Has anyone really bought them? I have not seen anyone at any forum say they bought these models. If the Chinese could combine their re-engineering and manufacturing skills with a quality control system, we would be in heaven, and this hobby would really explode even more. Some recent developments and AP models really seemed to be going in the right direction, with very nice and much appreciated quality gains. Now we see this rapid release of one model after another with mistakes that should not have been made.

TheDonSL

Respected Member
28/12/13
Yes, we have seen it over and over again. Last time with the BB, almost same problem. I cannot help but shift to a more general level though. The dominant industrial idea in China seems to be: build as much stuff as possible, even if people do not want it or need it. Look at that $50b replica of Manhattan 150 miles away from Beijing, look at all of those ghost cities. Nobody lives in them, nobody wants them. There is a tremendous price to be paid when nobody wants this stuff. Look at the recent Navy and Grey Themes 20144 SIHH reps from Noob. Has anyone really bought them? I have not seen anyone at any forum say they bought these models. If the Chinese could combine their re-engineering and manufacturing skills with a quality control system, we would be in heaven, and this hobby would really explode even more. Some recent developments and AP models really seemed to be going in the right direction, with very nice and much appreciated quality gains. Now we see this rapid release of one model after another with mistakes that should not have been made.

I agree with you on this slaughter, however has anyone taken a seat back and said "wow, what a great looking watch" while admiring the rep instead of comparing to the gen? I realize we want as close as possible to the gen and its sometimes fun to mod ourselves, get straps, etc... However, looking at some of the watches that are 95% accurate minus or plus depending on the model, the rep is still a great looking piece for 500 to 700 for most to enjoy and wear daily. While not perfection, and again I totally agree with your point, there is still a great watch for a fraction of the price purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sekihk

Getting To Know The Place
4/10/14
I've a feeling that J12 is not going to put the Carbon GP plan into reality, after seeing how this first batch of Schumacher is rejected. The buyer has higher expectation on built quality etc due to higher price. However, the stocks could still stuck in the warehouse due to poor assembly, which I guess J12 couldn't do much to improve the situation.

alexanderjs

Known Member
13/8/14
Mine arrived yesterday morning. Thanks Lee!
Work was hell, only managed to get to see it now.
First impressions, it's very well built. Overall case finishing is very high. I have the other 44's and this one looks as good as if not slightly better than the other J12s.
Grey rubber feels softer than the normal diver/44 rubber strap. Looks a darker grey than what is seen in pics so far.
Date ring looks spot on in real life (to me at least), raised squares on dial appear sharper and more defined than on the J12 navy i have.
My tachy ring is also slightly misaligned. I believe slaughterer is right that some movements are not centered and is thus slightly off. My markers at 60 line up but 90 and 120 are off by a hair. My dealer (not me) has rejected 4 of these for me as they were way off. This was the best he could get. Anyway this is a small issue for me.
Apart from this, i think the schumi is awesome. The grey tones in real life are certainly quite different, pictures can't really show this. I took some quick pics, this was worth the wait IMHO.

DSC_0236_zps0cbb375e.jpg

DSC_0226_zpsd2c56658.jpg

DSC_0225_zpsa0d2d404.jpg