• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP MICHAEL SCHUMACHER 44MM By J12

adamweby

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/8/12
CONUS
how many people would know the difference between the gen and rep movement? to the trained eye sure but anyone else no way. I know a lot of watch guys too but 98/100 would have no idea.

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
Now the movement i'd like to see repped (well) would be the AP Cal 2385 or even the Rolex cal 4130. A thin reliable sec@6 automatic chrono would open so many possibilities - Royal Oak Chrono, Daytona, Speedmaster

ukbondraider

20/9/14
how many people would know the difference between the gen and rep movement? to the trained eye sure but anyone else no way. I know a lot of watch guys too but 98/100 would have no idea.

Exactly. Not many people would. I have said it elsewhere but a Gen AP ROO with closed caseback would look more fake than a rep with open caseback to most people. Lots of people have commented to me how the 7750 looks very nice as a movement and assumed the watch was real. These people own gen Rolexs and Omegas.

Anyway Im still on the fence about buying the Schumacher. My Buemi died on its first day of use. These APs seem to be still unreliable.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I am not a big fan of how the rear of the A7750 looks. If there is any way to improve its looks or manufacture a better alternative, I am all for it. I actually like closed casebacks over the A7750 if the gen has a closed caseback. But AP seems intent on eliminating closed casebacks for the newer ROO models. It is a smart tactic on their part.

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
Exactly. Not many people would. I have said it elsewhere but a Gen AP ROO with closed caseback would look more fake than a rep with open caseback to most people. Lots of people have commented to me how the 7750 looks very nice as a movement and assumed the watch was real. These people own gen Rolexs and Omegas.

Anyway Im still on the fence about buying the Schumacher. My Buemi died on its first day of use. These APs seem to be still unreliable.

Op why are you posting the same thing on all forums ??? We (I and many) already answered you on how to make your movement more reliable !! The forums are a place to learn not to always complain and do nothing about it when we provided you with the solution !

Get your watches serviced and stop your moaning !

ukbondraider

20/9/14
Op why are you posting the same thing on all forums ??? We (I and many) already answered you on how to make your movement more reliable !! The forums are a place to learn not to always complain and do nothing about it when we provided you with the solution !

Get your watches serviced and stop your moaning !

I am not complaining. Go a do one you ******* ****. Your post has pissed me off. Learn to understand English before commenting as I couldn't bloody understand any of your replies

ukbondraider

20/9/14
I am not a big fan of how the rear of the A7750 looks. If there is any way to improve its looks or manufacture a better alternative, I am all for it. I actually like closed casebacks over the A7750 if the gen has a closed caseback. But AP seems intent on eliminating closed casebacks for the newer ROO models. It is a smart tactic on their part.

Anyone spending that sort of money these days on a gen will want open caseback especially with every watch manufacture now making their own movements after ETAs withdrawal. They are simply adapting to demand from their customers.

D

d4m.test

Was showing schumi pictures to my friends. 70% say it looks super ugly.

I wonder if this is the way people who dont know ap look at it lol

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Probably the same as if someone flashed an Invicta or Tommy Hilfiger watch at me. Damn ugly!

ukbondraider

20/9/14

I like AP ROOs but I can see how the Schumi looks ugly. The 44mm ROOs all look strange imo with their blocky crown guard things. No where near as elegant as 42mm ROOs. Also the thick dial rings on the Schumi rep makes it look like it came from 1970.

However, I think as watch enthusiasts we learn to see the ugliness in a different way. I certainly would still consider buying the Schumi.

Look at all the Panerai fans. Now these are ugly watches where enthusiasts really cannot see the ugliness. I would guess that 99% of people who arent into watches would deem Panerais as pure ugliness. Even 50% of watch enthusiast would probably deem Pams as ugly.

andman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/11/13
ukbondtrader.... can't help myself.....but I gotta ask Does your mouth move...

when you talk out of your ass.......:hehehe:

ukbondraider

20/9/14
You must be a Pam man.

Having discovered the rep world one month ago I have been trying to build a collection of about 20 watches. I read this forum everyday and go on the TD websites everyday looking at every brand to pick a collection from.

The end result is 5 Hublot watches, 3 AP Roos, 1 IWC, 1 Tag and Im now looking to get an Omega PO chrono just for diversity. I seriously am struggling to find nice appealing watches outside of Hublot and AP. Cant believe how ugly most watches are. The ugliness of most watches is why I have multiple version of the same watch but just in different colours.

imstillhungray

Horology Curious
28/10/14

When I saw this watch at first I thought it was ugly too, same with the diver actually. It is the finishing and high quality parts that can make a person completely change their mind. If it turns out good and you combine it with the right clothes, I think they will rethink their position.

D

d4m.test

I like AP ROOs but I can see how the Schumi looks ugly. The 44mm ROOs all look strange imo with their blocky crown guard things. No where near as elegant as 42mm ROOs. Also the thick dial rings on the Schumi rep makes it look like it came from 1970.

However, I think as watch enthusiasts we learn to see the ugliness in a different way. I certainly would still consider buying the Schumi.

Look at all the Panerai fans. Now these are ugly watches where enthusiasts really cannot see the ugliness. I would guess that 99% of people who arent into watches would deem Panerais as pure ugliness. Even 50% of watch enthusiast would probably deem Pams as ugly.

Super true. When I first knew that a PAM cost 10k I almost fainted. Lol...

I never love it until I own 1.

After you own 1... it's downhill all the way.

andman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/11/13
You must be a Pam man.

Having discovered the rep world one month ago I have been trying to build a collection of about 20 watches. I read this forum everyday and go on the TD websites everyday looking at every brand to pick a collection from.

The end result is 5 Hublot watches, 3 AP Roos, 1 IWC, 1 Tag and Im now looking to get an Omega PO chrono just for diversity. I seriously am struggling to find nice appealing watches outside of Hublot and AP. Cant believe how ugly most watches are. The ugliness of most watches is why I have multiple version of the same watch but just in different colours.

ukbondtrader... you truly are a dignified man...

I am a massive ROO fan as it happens.... with a smattering of Pams.... Reps and Gens of both....

I have 3 Gen ROO's 2 closed back and a 2014 open caseback safari....

The market though disagrees with your stance on the caseback... Closed caseback models have not depreciated significantly , if at all...

Which suggests that demand is still there and AP enthusiasts still love the classic design.... even with the closed caseback...

I did contemplate selling the closed to replace with open... but ownwership of Gens is about the ownership and knowing yourself that it's Gen ,and not the proving of it to others...

The Schumi... just keeping this on thread... is total marmite.... I think his name and unfortunate circumstances contributed to the whole aura around the watch...

I agree with you on the 44's .. some of the models are pretty... Ceramic and FC but nothing beats the classic 42... The RG 44 imo is approaching downright ugly....

I guess as far as Pams go... they are a little bit marmite.... I happen to like marmite in small amounts....

Lastly on to Hu blow.... I wouldnt be seen dead in one.... a company with no heritage ... and way too recognisable and commercial.... plus they clearly stole their design cues from AP ROO.... :lol:

Good luck with your collection... you sound focused on your direction... but this hobby has a fascinating way of jumping up and biting you on the ass as time goes by...

and you may well soon be buying stuff you would of never considered before...

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
When I first got into reps, I thought Hublot was so cool! I spent a bunch of money trying out almost every V6, and even built my own V6 skeleton (see avatar image). Now I don't own any, and have sold them all off. I own 9 Panerai reps and keep flipping them for newer models - yes your taste will change in this game!

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
When I first got into reps, I thought Hublot was so cool! I spent a bunch of money trying out almost every V6, and even built my own V6 skeleton (see avatar image). Now I don't own any, and have sold them all off. I own 9 Panerai reps and keep flipping them for newer models - yes your taste will change in this game!

+1

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Before I learned that high-quality reps existed, I was very happy in Panerai gen world. I loved the modernity and simpleness of the Panerai base dials, and the stylization of the cases. I still build vintage Panerais, but I have sold alot of my gen Panerais. It is only through reps and Frankens that I have developed a liking for APs. I even traded a gen Panerai for a Franken AP. But now my interests are branching out and I like Patek and Linde Werdelin. I own one Hublot, mainly to know how the design works. Some Hublots are not so bad looking, IMO.