• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP MICHAEL SCHUMACHER 44MM By J12

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
Why would Toro say ZF??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torro did not get the sample which Angus had to take pics, the sample watch was suppost to go to Angus, Ken and Intime. So maybe Torro posted it because he can get the watch also and wanted to be in the game.

sent from my iPad Air

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
I do not agree with that until i see it. I will still AR the crystal.

sent from my iPad Air

i think like you, at this time we don't have the watch in hand, only pics, better is to wait to see the watch and what could be done or not on it, good if it is nothing to do on it, but I am not sure of that also it would be sold a little more, just my opinion perhaps am I wrong.

TheDonSL

Respected Member
28/12/13
Torro did not get the sample which Angus had to take pics, the sample watch was suppost to go to Angus, Ken and Intime. So maybe Torro posted it because he can get the watch also and wanted to be in the game.

sent from my iPad Air

That still doesn't answer why he would call the maker ZF and not J12/JF lol either way Toros info is not that good... Oh well, all hail the Supreme Schumi !!!

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
How do you knw they really got a Gen to replicate this?

At the end of the day, I guess its about trust.
Statements like "replicated with the gen as reference" is rather arbitrary IMHO. I believe that a lot of the times, the makers use pictures of gens instead.
For this model, I am inclined to believe that they had a gen for reference given the engineering of the cermet material and color for the bezel, which is not new in watches, but used occasionally by Hublot, JLC, and yes AP. The dial details are also comparatively intricate, and does require a fastidious eye to replicate to a reasonable extent. Likewise for the rotor and other details. Granted, at this point, we do not know exactly how accurate the rep is in terms of finishing, sheen, color etc vs the gen. We could only spot the obvious flaws from the pics, so till now, we would not know if they used an actual gen watch as a reference to replicate this, or even id they did, whether a good job is done.

So is this watch worth $748 to me? I think it is. Is it perfect? Hell no. But bearing in mind the actual cost of the gen, we must not forget that at the end of the day, we are talking about a replica. We must not lose sight of the fact that replicas would never be perfect, but rather, intended, in varying degrees, as an emulation of the genuine article which we can wear for our own pleasure on our wrist. If the bumblebee can command a similar price, I do not see why the MS should not. Flaws? yes I concede that this model is flawed. But tell me that this is not a stunner on the wrist, even with thick datewheel and subdial rings? I wonder who would be able to spot these within social interaction distance. What they would see is a very nice AP on the wrist 99% of the time. The 1% would probably be a fellow rep enthusiast so I do not see a problem there either. :)

Reactions: Allure

weixiong

Getting To Know The Place
5/1/14
I totally love your ans :) especially this part "But tell me that this is not a stunner on the wrist, even with thick datewheel and subdial rings? I wonder who would be able to spot these within social interaction distance."

Hahaha that nails it. That's the point of having a rep.

Metalmickey

Renowned Member
1/7/14
Most people have never even heard of AP, and even fewer will have ever seen one in person, never mind such a rare edition. I don't think we have anything to worry about. Looks great to me.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
This was the gen which was used to rep it.
You guys happy now? I was asked to buy one in EU but the got it cheaper from HK.
And it was bought from J12!

1c0df1f92ab7d5b8f233f0c667823e31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

BuddhistGirafe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/13
This was the gen which was used to rep it.
You guys happy now? I was asked to buy one in EU but the got it cheaper from HK.
And it was bought from J12!

1c0df1f92ab7d5b8f233f0c667823e31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

I dunno mate. Looks like a quartz verion to me ;)

But damn, did you get the pleasure of being part of the transaction? I would have kept it and ran!

Et3r17al

23/4/12
It is a very well made piece. Beyond that the open caseback doesn't matter when it is on your wrist!

Yeah, but there are a few office guys who always to inspect my watches . So I have to take them off. When I told one of them that my ap to tourbillon was a rep, he almost gave me a lecture about buying fakes and I wanted to dig a hole.
When I wear something now, I always hide it under my sleeve and avoid discussions.... Haha

frogsoup

Do not accept unsolicited offers
12/6/14
Guys, check out this gen's date wheel.
380f6058403d4f6d2623f66257ecf529.jpg

As thick as the amazing schumi?

TimeDelux

Renowned Member
10/5/14
Yeah, but there are a few office guys who always to inspect my watches . So I have to take them off. When I told one of them that my ap to tourbillon was a rep, he almost gave me a lecture about buying fakes and I wanted to dig a hole.
When I wear something now, I always hide it under my sleeve and avoid discussions.... Haha

they will go crazy once they see the Schumi :)

Miguel Piguet

I'm Pretty Popular
14/5/13

I guess most times you have to realistic about where you wear your reps to in order to avoid such discussions/criticisms . Now we all know the cost of the gens of most reps so if you have a regular 9-5 job where most people don't earn as much to have that much disposable income to buy an AP then it's a bit unrealistic and because these are you work colleagues that see you everyday at work they have a rough idea how much you might earn . Now if you wear it anywhere else, it's nobody's business to ask or give you a lecture as they don't really know you enough to tell what you can afford or not. So if you're not a CEO or business owner/ self employed or work at a high position/ managerial role with a high enough salary then it will be unrealistic to wear some reps especially the AP Schumi to work. It's usually nobody's business at the end of the day but to work, you cant avoid it because you see them everyday. So anywhere else is fine but to work you can just wear an Omega or Tudor or something more understated lol :hehehe: ... Just my opinion/ perspective

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
I guess most times you have to realistic about where you wear your reps to in order to avoid such discussions/criticisms . Now we all know the cost of the gens of most reps so if you have a regular 9-5 job where most people don't earn as much to have that much disposable income to buy an AP then it's a bit unrealistic and because these are you work colleagues that see you everyday at work they have a rough idea how much you might earn . Now if you wear it anywhere else, it's nobody's business to ask or give you a lecture as they don't really know you enough to tell what you can afford or not. So if you're not a CEO or business owner/ self employed or work at a high position/ managerial role with a high enough salary then it will be unrealistic to wear some reps especially the AP Schumi to work. It's usually nobody's business at the end of the day but to work, you cant avoid it because you see them everyday. So anywhere else is fine but to work you can just wear an Omega or Tudor or something more understated lol :hehehe: ... Just my opinion/ perspective

I work from home, so I get to wear any watch I want with no questions asked :p