• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AliExpress experiments - Non-watch products

minty007

WABAC Machine Escapee
Supporter
Certified
13/5/08
Colorado, USA
Just curious, did you order all your items from the same seller?

Different sellers for each of the 4 orders.

Okay so at what point did you file notice on AE? The day before the final deadline? Also why would you extend protection? That would only seem to help the seller in prolonging the refund back to you. Wouldn't you want your money back ASAP?

Don't know if I should do that or if I actually have a case here. All that tracking says is that package has left the country and is en route to destination. No tracking info that it has actually arrived in my country yet. It just stops there.

I waited until a few hours before the protection deadline to file the dispute for reimbursement. Regarding the extension request, yes - it does delay the potential refund from the seller but because I am actively working with my local post office to find the package that supposedly made it into my carrier's truck before it disappeared, I am hopeful that it might appear... and I didn't want to punish the seller in the meantime for a mistake they didn't make when I may receive the package after all. If it doesn't appear within the extension period (I only added one week), I'll simply file the claim, request the reimbursement, reorder the product and start over.

Each of my orders had estimated shipping times which varied widely from "5-15 days" to "25-45 days". The purchase protection periods assigned to each correlated with those estimates. If your package hasn't arrived within the protection period and you haven't gotten any other extenuating information (like my local disappearance), I would recommend filing the dispute for reimbursement at or near the deadline, rather than requesting an extension.

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Has anyone got a good RB Wayfarers? Could you share the link please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Got this Parker Vector Stainless Steel for about a year ago. The price was around $8. I believe now you can have it for about half of the price I paid. The housing actually is plastic inside, not that tough full SS housing I expected. And the arrow on the cap doesn't seem to be solid as on my other Parker Vector, which I believe is genuine. Its actually OK for $4, but not for $8. For this price I would have a MB pen now, or some other Parkers, which are also available in AE (saw some pretty cool models there, may try them cause I still have some refills laying around).

So in conclusion, I wouldn't advice you getting this one. Maybe actual Parker is better quality, I don't know, but better go and grab on of those MB pens instead.

a14302f6ebee90b96be56ecfa076b857.jpg
f7d5ebd464e718c2f4a7fa40e160408c.jpg
d0d37c2a2e107d997880e6432aa88c07.jpg

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
Reviewed a knife today, posted a thread over rwg.
I suppose it's one of the Shirogorov Knives replicas. As I remember $20-30 right? It also should have a bearing in the place where the knife opens. Could you please post a review here at RWI?

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
I suppose it's one of the Shirogorov Knives replicas. As I remember $20-30 right? It also should have a bearing in the place where the knife opens. Could you please post a review here at RWI?

Sure, yes the Shirogorov. the review follows...

IMG_8807_zpsoddrfbl4.jpg

The gen.

8820_zpsliv1pnao.jpg

Long winded review and more pics of mother Russia's most prideful knife maker, Shirogorov:

You can't order one.. And you can't even look at their website- It's Russian only (I know. google translate). Enter Aliexpress... :sconehead:

I purchased this from Kevin John, arguably one of the most reputed knife makers in the far east. This particular clone comes with a lot of claims boasting "highest performance cost ratio in China, real D2 we welcome you to test". I had to try one. :payup: But, I digress like a thread about dry lube. :sigh:

Link to seller/knife- http://www.aliexpres...2278966656.html

Interesting to note is this knife shipped from Amsterdam, not China. :joint: Strange. Interesting. Wish they would've sent a 1/4 along with it.

The steel is not poor quality. The heat treat is well done and there are no defects in the material. There are a small imperfection or two in the full flat grind, however no more than you would find on a brand new Spyderco. Yeah, I said it Sal.

The knife arrived after a few weeks and right out of the box was well adjusted. There was not too much oil, nor was there any need to adjust for blade play. The blade was perfectly centered and I was immediately comfortable flicking it open with my thumb as well as single handed axis lock operation/closing. The blade was not razor sharp from the factory, however the grinds again were of top quality. I was able to bring the blade to hair splitting sharpness with just a few passes on the Spyderco sharpmaker.

The axis lock has ambidextrous screw down thumb studs. One of the few gripes I have with this knife is that these stud "caps" get loose. This is a big deal. I keep borrowing my thumbnail to check they are tight. A good knife is one you do not have to constantly mind after, that sort of temperament is one I abhor above just about any other. Thankfully, a little blue locktite will remedy this. Before you do yours, break it in before using loctite so you can locate the sweet spot for the screws. The metal screws and nuts themselves are of high quality. Everything is done to the level I would expect of a high end production knife maker. There is even a tiny, sandblasted ring around the thumb stud where it meets the blade. High quality fit/finish is everywhere. The liners end in a protruding lip around the entire circumference of the scales. The scales need a better finish such as sand blasting or light brushing. I think the gen blade rides on ceramic roller bearings? Quite ridiculous. This clone has the proven and familiar feel of copper washers which I am fine with. I would expect an assisted opener or an auto for the added complications the gen action brings.

Overall I would say the knife delivers as promised. I am 100% happy with the purchase and would have to agree that the performance/cost is probably the highest I have ever seen. The overall quality of the knife is excellent, on par with low/mid range offerings from high end production brands. Since this was a positive experience, I will be ordering another knife soon. I plan to test something against one of my gens.. I have my eye on "high quality version" DLC/carbon fiber Paramilitary as well as others.

Thanks for reading the spiel.. here's the pics.

IMG_8808_zpsfysbiepu.jpg

IMG_8809_zpspryyy0co.jpg

IMG_8810_zpsyjcvib6m.jpg

backspacer jimping

IMG_8811_zpshj5cd6bi.jpg

tang/lock area finish..

IMG_8812_zpsb3qtnbpf.jpg

IMG_8813_zpsdkebfaq8.jpg

IMG_8814_zpsikumwfqk.jpg

IMG_8815_zpsdasxvcgp.jpg

IMG_8822_zpsiyhuohy6.jpg

IMG_8816_zpsmbq1evfd.jpg

IMG_8817_zps629p6qmc.jpg

IMG_8818_zpsuyo1xz8i.jpg

IMG_8821_zps1ytbgpc2.jpg

IMG_8819_zps7cpm8myi.jpg

IMG_8820_zpsis7n3v9y.jpg

next to current gen Endura

IMG_8823_zpsglorhjls.jpg

IMG_8824_zpsle6tsdm0.jpg

Blade finish compared to 2014 Spyderco Bob Lum fixed blade sprint run

IMG_8825_zpsllljroi5.jpg

IMG_8826_zpszty6fevo.jpg

IMG_8829_zps9wpzqyev.jpg

IMG_8830_zpssdzprnnf.jpg

IMG_8832_zpsslk4ij5q.jpg

Paramilitary has some carry grime, apologies.

IMG_8834_zpsuyo0gsfj.jpg

IMG_8835_zpso6xaxy13.jpg

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
When I just deleted some Shirogorov knives from my AE wishlist... They're back along with pens and watches.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
How easy was it to bring in to your country? Did the knives pose any problems in customs?

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
I ordered a MB and bought the GEN insert refill here in the US Should be great

GetSomeMoney

10/7/13
My first MB pen came in (ordered another one later) and I must say, I am totally surprised by the quality, it is beyond belief. Extremely great quality. I will be ordering another MB pen. Great purchase. From order to delivery it took about 2 weeks

D

d4m.test

Update on my orders. 9 days after orders, I've received my 'X-Metal' sunnies. Packaging was pretty basic black plastic bag, but I was surprised to find a half decent semi-hard case inside. This I was not expecting. Sure the lettering is off a bit, but for keeping them safe, it'll do the trick;

1543d5492ab1a3ffc60f6ef5b2dd64bd.jpg

Inside the quality of the glasses is pretty good. Again a little askew on the lettering but generally okay.....

8aab0d6674065ac3faa50ddae5ff5115.jpg

13df7733337ea4a006660058d1183e03.jpg

8ba294952a2e56ea1011382100be5c9d.jpg

eb5bc17f5c75f58b4aca5662a225b0b4.jpg

fda108106f7e027a06c7a8fcdce2af33.jpg

The low quality shows on the lower corner of the frame around the lens, sorry for the crap picture but it's the best I could get with the generic fruit phone and poor lighting. You'll see the frame is missing the screw. Its actually all just one piece shaped to look like the original.

bb3152fb29484978954fcacf54e681ba.jpg

Lens cleaning cloth also inside the case. Again, not great quality but pretty decent, especially considering that the total price was about $11

777b32ffb74efb54b25cb079666fdb9a.jpg

For that money, I'm a happy camper

Ruski91

12/10/12
good stuff guys ... i got a few more things incoming:

Found a cool tablet like russian learning toy for my son. Teaches alphabet, numbers, and words
couple iphone 6 cases
another Hermes iphone case
baby puma sneakers

also got my eye on 3 knives (Any thoughts?)
HTB101E5GVXXXXcZXFXXq6xXFXXXZ.jpg

HTB1TTkeGpXXXXbhXVXXq6xXFXXXI.jpg

657787498_245.jpg

Suncoast

29/6/12
My latest addition from AE is a Ganzo G202 multi tool. Initially I was looking for a multi tool to replace the Gerber Multi Tool that I've lost (misplaced somewhere) I was concerned that the quality of the clone multi tool wouldn't be there, after researching a bunch of different multi tools I found the Ganzo brand of tools. From what I can gather Ganzo makes a lot of the Gerber, Bear Gryls, Leatherman type tool however the quality of these isn't up to the standards of the gens, but the quality of the multi tools that they actually put their name on is a lot better. So I picked up a Ganzo G202 for @ $23.00 shipped the quality of this tool is great as good or better than the misplaced Gerber worth @ $100.00. The machining and finish is spot on. The quality of the case as well is way better than the Gerber was. It's not a clone but the quality is fantastic.

Steelfish

Hǝɐpᴉᴎƃ ꓭɐɔʞ ᗡoʍᴎ Ոᴎpǝᴙ
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
My latest addition from AE is a Ganzo G202 multi tool. Initially I was looking for a multi tool to replace the Gerber Multi Tool that I've lost (misplaced somewhere) I was concerned that the quality of the clone multi tool wouldn't be there, after researching a bunch of different multi tools I found the Ganzo brand of tools. From what I can gather Ganzo makes a lot of the Gerber, Bear Gryls, Leatherman type tool however the quality of these isn't up to the standards of the gens, but the quality of the multi tools that they actually put their name on is a lot better. So I picked up a Ganzo G202 for @ $23.00 shipped the quality of this tool is great as good or better than the misplaced Gerber worth @ $100.00. The machining and finish is spot on. The quality of the case as well is way better than the Gerber was. It's not a clone but the quality is fantastic.

Got a link to this one mate?
happy-096.gif

tchockie

Renowned Member
2/5/14
ooh that spyderco looks nice. how much is that going for?

good stuff guys ... i hot a few more things incoming:

Found a cool tablet like russian learning toy for my son. Teaches alphabet, numbers, and words
couple iphone 6 cases
baby puma sneakers

657787498_245.jpg

Capt. Obvious

5/5/13
good stuff guys ... i hot a few more things incoming:

couple iphone 6 cases
baby puma sneakers

657787498_245.jpg
They look very good. What type of locking mechanisms do they have?
I'm looking at getting a Ganzo G704... looks pretty cool for the price!!!!

Ruski91

12/10/12
They are all about 10-15 bucks. I am not sure about the proper terminology for the locking mechanism, but they all seem to have a release clasp/stem right under the handle that allows the blade to fold in/out. I have had a few with this same locking mechanism and have never had any issues. I am just debating the purchase because i am not sure about the quality of the blades themselves. I know gen spyderco is supposed to be really nice, my brother in law has a few and his area razor sharp and do not seem to dull out too much over time. Also the spyder co seems to have the belt clip in an awkward place, shouldnt it be on the opposite end of the knife?

TheOmegaFan

Renowned Member
15/5/13
They are all about 10-15 bucks. I am not sure about the proper terminology for the locking mechanism, but they all seem to have a release clasp/stem right under the handle that allows the blade to fold in/out. I have had a few with this same locking mechanism and have never had any issues. I am just debating the purchase because i am not sure about the quality of the blades themselves. I know gen spyderco is supposed to be really nice, my brother in law has a few and his area razor sharp and do not seem to dull out too much over time. Also the spyder co seems to have the belt clip in an awkward place, shouldnt it be on the opposite end of the knife?

I'm not sure about Spyderco quality. The others a supposed to be Chinese brand so they should be fine. I've heard that Spyderco Military and Paramilitary (the more expensive models) are almost 1:1 gens