• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AliExpress experiments - Non-watch products

bbtfastback

Known Member
22/4/15
I've had great luck with hockey jerseys on AE, from all different sellers. Probably bought 6 or 7 over the last 18mo or so, no major issues. The yellow was a bit noticeably off on one in the right light, but when I complained to the seller they offered me a 50% refund -- works for me!

I also bought a set of softshell pants/jacket to use as an outer layer when winter hiking. Cost about $65 for the set shipped, but they are great. Zipper on the jacket scared me at first, but after wearing the jacket all fall and winter, it has yet to break. Stitching was really good everywhere else, and the material was actually waterproof and breathable. I think they list them as "lurker shark skin tad" if you are interested in grabbing a pair.

Right now I'm waiting on some S-Shock watches, and some RB sunglasses.

Hockey jerseys are my deal too, but looking for a good seller!!

BellevilleMXZ

Getting To Know The Place
30/4/15
You guys are a bad influence..... I ordered 2 different knives, 2 pens, and a watch repair kit ......lol........this site is gonna break me:punk:

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I want to try one of the paramilitary high quality versions. I'd like carbon fiber scales too. Having a hard time picking the right one.

Gabe, I've had a lot of rep MB pens and they were all shit. Are those pens really good enough to impress you guys? The ones the TD's sell are pretty, um.. not gen like. :whistle:

This was discussed before in other post/sections, the quality is significantly different from the older MB Pen reps, huge difference, I had some old reps, and these newer pens are basically real level quality (in terms of the rollerball and ballpoint, the fountain pens are nice also but just not quite at the same level in terms of the nib and filling system).

P4GTR, ^ what he said.

Carx

Getting To Know The Place
16/5/15
I smoothed out my MB ballpoints with a drop of oil into the mechanism now they are a dream. The sky walkers are the best copies. But I prefer this meisterstuck.
f70535d4bb35ee7cb62bb6d34e7e1010.jpg
fe9d3a69a333125f1445dc3c0a54c8de.jpg

If you shine a bright lights to the barrel it glows a deep red, just like the original. But you'd definitely notice the mechanism before you got to that stage of checking. The rollerball is better quality than the ballpoints because there are no moving parts. There is a beautiful starwalker with a "red gold" solitaire inlay but no reviews with pictures yet so I haven't bought it.

kohr

Known Member
20/12/12

Chec1977

Do not accept unsolicited offers
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
13/10/14
Big tell on MB Pens since I own genuine is the flat star on the rep while on the genuine is curved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I smoothed out my MB ballpoints with a drop of oil into the mechanism now they are a dream. The sky walkers are the best copies. But I prefer this meisterstuck.
f70535d4bb35ee7cb62bb6d34e7e1010.jpg
fe9d3a69a333125f1445dc3c0a54c8de.jpg

If you shine a bright lights to the barrel it glows a deep red, just like the original. But you'd definitely notice the mechanism before you got to that stage of checking. The rollerball is better quality than the ballpoints because there are no moving parts. There is a beautiful starwalker with a "red gold" solitaire inlay but no reviews with pictures yet so I haven't bought it.

So I just ordered one in silver..... thanks.... LOLOLOL

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Something I haven't seen, are MB Mechanical Pencils.

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
I've been looking around for that, don't know why they haven't repped it, doesn't seem too complex especially if they are repping fountain pens

Right. I use mostly, but mech pencils are always good to have.

Eschenpod

Renowned Member
21/11/12
I have a bunch of gen high end knives, I honestly don't know if I'd trust a rep knife. They're tools, and probably not made of the same material that the gen is. I'd hate for one to break while using.

Here are some feedback quotes on the $13 Spyderco rep I originally posted - 156 out of 192 people rated it 5 stars.

"Top quality replica. Liner is a mid sharply. Clip doesn't have spyderco logo... Super fast shipping..."

"Very nice product. Amazing for the price."

"
I like it. Very handy, well made knife."

"A great knife! Seller fellow."

"Of course it's fake Spyderco, but seems to be good qualitty item. Deffenetly very good looking knife."

"
The knife is sharp, with a little oiling it flicks open well. The blade is perfectly centred. It locks firmly but the lock-up is quite "late". The handle scales are neat and well machined, however it drops a star because in tip-up, right hand configuration, only two of the clip screwholes have usable threads, so the clip is loose and wobbly. I will probably just take the clip off and use a lanyard instead."

"
Great product! A+++ seller."

"The knife is definitely very good. I haven't seen the original one and if I did not know it's a fake I'd think it's an original."

"Amazing knife for $12.99. Thanks!"

"
Scales and liners not quite perfect but otherwise great knife for the price I can't really complain. Would buy again."

"Quality for the money is simply gorgeous, packaging no complaints, highly recommend."

"Came in really fake spyderco box. (Spider was brown instead of gold. Plastic wrapped. Knife is great quality for the price. I'll be keeping it. Seller was good. Item was sent as described."

"Excellent product. Delivery on time."

"J
ust as described. very satisfied."

These people can't all be wrong.

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp
No, I'm not disagreeing that these seem to be decent looking, They do look very good. From my experience I've seen substandard metal used in lower end knives before, and its not pretty when something breaks. Only of the reviews seems to be written by someone who knows what to look for in a knife and he even says the build quality leaves a bit to be desired.

"The knife is sharp, with a little oiling it flicks open well. The blade is perfectly centred. It locks firmly but the lock-up is quite "late". The handle scales are neat and well machined, however it drops a star because in tip-up, right hand configuration, only two of the clip screwholes have usable threads, so the clip is loose and wobbly. I will probably just take the clip off and use a lanyard instead."

I know any knife can be susceptible to "Lock-Rock" and it can usually be fixed with adjusting, but for it to come this way out of the box isn't a good indicator of care or reliability. How does the knife maintain an edge, how easy is it to sharpen, are there hard spots in the steel, are the scales really G10, was it quenched properly while being forged, where on the Rockwell Hardness scale does the steel fall, there are a million questions that can be asked when looking at a fake knife. When looking at something that could possible injure you if shoddy, appearances and reliability are two separate things to worry about. I don't care if a Porsche looks great, but if it has a lawn mower engine you aren't going to get much out of it.
This is probably the one area where I wouldn't really count on getting a rep. I do have a replica C
hris Reeve Umnumzaan I received as a gift, however I also have a Gen that I rarely use. I generally carry my Emerson Mini Commander when I carry my rep Umnumzaan so I have an actual tool knife that can back me up if my rep goes out. I probably have spent 2-3k in knives over the last few years, and my brother actually works with a knife maker here in San Diego. I've seen the good and bad, and i'd like to think I'm speaking from experience.

Please do not take this as a slight towards your research in the rep knife area, I do appreciate it and will look further into it.

Eschenpod

Renowned Member
21/11/12
No worries Hdresden - I appreciate your bringing up the safety issue - it certainly needs to be looked at with these replica knives.
Once I receive the knife I will take some closeup photos and test out the blade as best I can.
Do you have any tips on checking the quality grade of the steel?