• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Again about Hytrel ring

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Im write problem to all td. Wait answer. Me say jtime have connection with vsf. For he i send video.
Believe me: All the TDs will claim to have "really good connection" with factory;)

All ring then i buy from ali have standard rolex size 0.65*0.65. and after install problem with bezel play is being decided.(( I think that before the vsf ring sizes were different. more than standard.
"standart" is for genuine. reps are different. we talk about micrometer differences. in watchmaker eyes its HUGE.

I found a factory and made an agreement with it. let's decide on the sizes.

hm?

I would like to hear the opinion of user kj2020
@KJ2020 will tell you to take a fishing line. period.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I would like to hear the opinion of user kj2020
It's not just the size and the shape but the quality of the material. Plus the adjoining parts - the bezel groove and the retaining ring lip - can vary enough from different sources or even batches to affect the end result.

A thicker or thinner crystal gasket has a huge effect on the performance of the bezel. Using a gen crystal gasket under a CLEAN GMT retaining ring will render the bezel immobile IF you can even get the retaining ring pressed fully. So even if VSF gets the perfect hytrel ring if the next batch of crystal gaskets is thinner because they cost less, we're back where are now.

All of the parts have to have consistent parameters, something rep factories can try to achieve but seldom will, especially over time. I don't even fool with hytrel rings anymore other than re-using an intact one that was acceptable before, back with the exact parts as before. Otherwise go fish, haha. :cool:

Ready for action
KXsBnQ.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: WatchSmith.US

xZeroCoolx

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/10/22
US
@KJ2020 Have you found one brand that works better than the other for the fishing line? I think some that I got is too stiff.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020 Have you found one brand that works better than the other for the fishing line? I think some that I got is too stiff.
Monofilament line is all I've ever used, it's made of nylon. It's a little stiff - I usually wrap it around my finger a time or two to give it a natural curve prior to fitting it in the bezel groove.

There are other types of line like fluorocarbon and braided but mono is all that's needed. As long as it's mono, brand should be irrelevant.

antonygr

Known Member
20/10/23
Im find fix. remove the bezel. Remove gasket. Rotate hytrel/gasket ring on 180°. And insert gasket to bezel. Fine! bezel rotates rigidly! try and write please. Help or no.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Im find fix. remove the bezel. Remove gasket. Rotate hytrel/gasket ring on 180°. And insert gasket to bezel. Fine! bezel rotates rigidly! try and write please. Help or no.
Nearly all hytrel rings have a correct vertical orientation. Usually it is with the larger diameter step facing upward, toward the insert.

KMNgE8.jpeg

There are some variations to this orientation, and some rings that have a symmetrical top to bottom shape. That's why it's important to note the hytrel ring's vertical orientation before removing it from the groove. If the bezel movement was good, the ring should go back the way it was. If the bezel movement was poor or stiff, flipping the vertical orientation of the ring is a well known attempted fix. Sometimes the factory installs these upside down by mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdx18

antonygr

Known Member
20/10/23
Nearly all hytrel rings have a correct vertical orientation. Usually it is with the larger diameter step facing upward, toward the insert.

KMNgE8.jpeg

There are some variations to this orientation, and some rings that have a symmetrical top to bottom shape. That's why it's important to note the hytrel ring's vertical orientation before removing it from the groove. If the bezel movement was good, the ring should go back the way it was. If the bezel movement was poor or stiff, flipping the vertical orientation of the ring is a well known attempted fix. Sometimes the factory installs these upside down by mistake.
I thought that the hard bezel action was just what was needed. so I flipped it vertically.

antonygr

Known Member
20/10/23
If the bezel moves slowly from the factory, is it a fault that the ring was installed at the factory? and the bezel should move very easily?

antonygr

Known Member
20/10/23
I thought this would be the shape of the ring after installation. Before installation it has an even height

antonygr

Known Member
20/10/23
It seems to me that before installation at the factory the ring has different heights.

antonygr

Known Member
20/10/23

KMNgE8.jpeg

The shape as in your photo The ring takes on the first pressing

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The bezel should be firm but not hard to move. It should not move by itself or by casual contact with a shirt or coat sleeve, or during a repositioning of the watch on the wrist if loosely gripping the bezel. It should not have any loose play, but it should be able to be turned without difficulty using one hand while on the wrist. If you have achieved this goal, then it really doesn't matter what your hytrel ring looks like or which way it's oriented. If you haven't reached this goal, then go fish, haha.