• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3135 Movement Comparison (Gen/SA/SH/VR)

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
Thank you for a very informative thread.

Is the comparison the same today or did the VR movement improve since this teardown?

I'm especially thinking about which parts to switch to SH or gen. I already have a auto wind module.

On my serviced VR date jump is still weak, and it seems to be a common problem (date jump at midnight on mine, but sometimes not fully but let's say 95%. On my previous SH it seemed to be more "sturdy", especially when using quickset). So i would adress this first.

I have no problem with VR autowind. One note on that : VR oscillating weight don't fit gen auto bridge

ciaoman21

Known Member
5/2/19
EU
It may be a little too early, but has anyone received a VS3135 movement?

Apparently there are several improvements ... (VS FACTORY)

source here: http://www.biaogs.com/fkbiao/1135.html

2 watches are one the way from TT...

Can't wait to compare with my YM Noob (VR3135)

Power reserve, ect ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dissemination

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
It may be a little too early, but has anyone received a VS3135 movement?

Apparently there are several improvements ... (VS FACTORY)

source here: http://www.biaogs.com/fkbiao/1135.html

2 watches are one the way from TT...

Can't wait to compare with my YM Noob (VR3135)

Power reserve, ect ...

Man what an informative article. I'm impressed! I always see the term "Water Ghosts" in these translations tho. I wonder what the hell it means? I also got a good chuckle at the end when the writer says something about small factories doing "knock off" blue hairspring 3135s lol... as in a knock-off of a knock-off

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
Man what an informative article. I'm impressed! I always see the term "Water Ghosts" in these translations tho. I wonder what the hell it means? I also got a good chuckle at the end when the writer says something about small factories doing "knock off" blue hairspring 3135s lol... as in a knock-off of a knock-off

Water Ghost is how they called for Submariners. Black Water Ghost, Green Water Ghost etc.

Now, make a guess what is it "Ghost King" (direct translation from Mandarin), one of the watch model from Rolex.

Reactions: Dissemination

btocamelo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/09
Thank you guys for this thread ... very detailed information, that I couldn't find on RG.

so, to further ask .... will a GEN 3135 with GEN dial drop into which Case Set? VRF/ZZF similar as if dropping into a GEN case?

Thanks!

Thank you for putting together the excellent comparison of the genuine 3135, SA3135, SH3135 and VR3135. I hope you don't mind if I ask to confirm my understanding;

To try to summarize;
1. VR3135 is considered the most reliable of the 3135 replica movements
2. The VR3135 was developed by ZZF (formerly called VRF) and is used in the ZZF V2 and now in Noob V10 116610LN watches
3. TD's refer to the VR3135 as the NEW SA3135 as in the ZZF V2 and Noob V10
4. ARF V3 116610LN uses the SH3135
5. The ZZF 116610LN "case is machined so that the movement can be mounted using just screws. The movement is inserted and turned and then the screws are loosened so that the press against the inside of the case and hold the movement."
6. This "inserted and turned" case construction is not used in the Noob V10 case​

Thank you for your patience and guidance ! Cheers

Wolex

7/2/20
awesome thread! gain lots of insights into the 3135 movement! Love it! Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed!

Rbrobson

4/9/19
Wow - Just read through this from first to last post. Absolutely incredible insight from so many members.

(Before I ask my questions -- wanted to make a minor contribution to this thread. For any other newbs like me, this Rolex Cal3135 parts list and diagram has served as an incredible reference material when trying to follow the thread: https://imgur.com/a/DOiXMpG
​​​
I am a long time lurker... Have multiple reps but FINALLY attempting my first Franken. I have done a ton of research but still have three "newb" questions I was hoping this group my help iron out as I get started on my build:

1. Can I get an opinion / confirmation that this movement I am purchasing is in fact a VR?
2. Has there been a definitive list established of what parts ARE compatible for swap with GEN on a VR3135? If possible (For esthetics only), I would like to swap the seven (7) components that my research has indicated will be visible when you open the case back. Has anyone successfully swapped out the following:
  • 130: Winding Bridge
  • 110: Train Wheel Bridge
  • 145: Automatic Device Module
  • 217: Yoke for sliding gear
  • 300: Click
  • 118: Balance Guard
  • 305: Ratchet Wheel
(Note, I see that SH components have been swapped successfully for several of these. I am asking for gen specifically)

3. More in line with the actual purpose of this thread... what else is essential to replace with Gen. I noticed a few of the items in the list above have been mentioned in this thread (either Gen or SH swaps), I have also seen folks reference these (below) Anything else I NEED to swap?
  • 301: Click spring
  • 421: Pallet Fork
Thank you everyone for any help you can provide and for all the incredible info that has been posted already on this thread!

centrum

27/7/14
Never thought I would read about 3135 clones see since that they were always a turd back in the days. I guess the VR3135 and the new VS3135 are the best ones so far.

As an ETA clone supporter, I have very little knowledge about Rolex clone movements. Do they have different features e. g., date change, hour hand change, etc that are identical to the gen movements? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

centrum

27/7/14
Never thought I would read about 3135 clones since they were always a turd back in the days. I guess the VR3135 and the new VS3135 are the best ones so far.

As an ETA clone supporter, I have very little knowledge about Rolex clone movements. Do they have different features e. g., date change, hour hand change, etc that are identical to the gen movements? Thanks!

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Never thought I would read about 3135 clones since they were always a turd back in the days. I guess the VR3135 and the new VS3135 are the best ones so far.

Yes, they do. Literally a clone of the 3135 in every functional way. Obviously not on the same level of quality though of course.

Very curious to see what some of the technical experts here have to say about the VS3135.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Well, I should clarify that it's not going to have the anti magnetism qualities and other technical bits (i don't know specifically, this part is above my pay grade). By functional I mean it has the instant date change, the crown functions the same way, can take (most) gen parts- of particular interest being hands, datewheel, etc.

Papagio

25/2/20
Hello to all,
I'm not sure where to put my question so I'll put it here.

I am waiting to receive an Arf Rolex 116234 V3 and I would like to know if it is possible to change the sh3135 movement by a vr3135 with a gen date wheel?

Thanks to you!

Phen1970

Horology Curious
2/8/21
Hello and thank you for the informative thread!
Is the VR still the best 3135 clone in 2021? Are there any potentially better clones known to be released soon?
Thank you!