• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3135 Movement Comparison (Gen/SA/SH/VR)

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Thx . Honestly I'm extremely new at this and I'm sticking to ootb reps for now. I know the Swiss movement watches are a lil more expensive but if they will last longer without modding then ill pay the difference. Thx again for info.

Dont pay extra for the "swiss" eta reps.. there not an actual swiss eta movement. Look for asian eta.

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
Dont pay extra for the "swiss" eta reps.. there not an actual swiss eta movement. Look for asian eta.

I can’t confirm/deny this however the gen Swiss reps that ive seen sold from dealers tend to be old, used movements. So yes they’re genuine but, likely still need a service. Absolute best bet is get an ETA compatible watch and swap in a known, quality Swiss movement. That’s what I do.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
I can’t confirm/deny this however the gen Swiss reps that ive seen sold from dealers tend to be old, used movements. So yes they’re genuine but, likely still need a service. Absolute best bet is get an ETA compatible watch and swap in a known, quality Swiss movement. That’s what I do.

I Guess best bet is select the 2813 option which usually brings down price by what 60 to 80usd I think? Sell the 2813 to cover shipping for the gen ETA.

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19
I Guess best bet is select the 2813 option which usually brings down price by what 60 to 80usd I think? Sell the 2813 to cover shipping for the gen ETA.

2813 movements are so cheap that paying for shipping M2M doesn't make sense, so selling a 2813 movement is likely going to be difficult.

Moreover, the hands that fit a 2813 movement won't fit a gen ETA movement.

2813 Hands = 1.52 x 1.00 x 0.17mm

ETA 2836 Hands = 1.50 x 0.90 x 0.25mm

Thanatos

Renowned Member
Certified
10/2/12
EU
Thanks for that really good comparison. Awesome work, mate!

I‘ve got a question about the different heights of the SA and the VR movement. Could it be that SA is a little bit lower?

Mido691

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/10/14
1. can some body confirme that in the zzf v2 a VR movement ?
2. Is the VR a 100% copy from the genuine Rolex movement ?
3. and can use the genuine Rolex movement spear parts in the VR movement ?

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19

1. Yes, assuming you are talking about a V2 date sub (i.e., 116610LN or 116610LV), the ZZF 114060 no date sub still comes with a decorated 2836 clone movement
2. No; the VR is a 90% copy.
3. A lot of parts can be swapped for genuine, but some cannot, so you will have to do research. Diall, hands and date wheel can be swapped for genuine parts, but beyond that you need to do some research.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14

You can swap out a lot of parts for gen parts for SH and VR but the main parts, not so much. The balance bridge, the pallet fork.. basically, the heart of the movement. If you’re just wanting the gen look for the movements and are building a franken piece, clone is the way to go. Mainly because you can mount the dials, hands, datewheel, pretty much all of the autoworks module..etc but if someone who knows much about Rolex calibers will easily be able to tell just from looking at the balance bridge.

I only get clone movements for builds. If I’m just planning on just wearing it without too much modding, i stick with the A28**. Mainly because the parts for them are cheap and easily replaceable.

Something like the main spring. I swap these out pretty much on every watch I’ve had with a 28**. It’s a cheap and easy mod to do and it will make the performance of the watch much better. Better amplitude and better power reserve for less than $20 bucks. Definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mido691

26/10/14
@ bc1221

do you know the life time of the 28 and SA , VR 3135 ? and how much cost now ?

Last edited:

Mido691

26/10/14
1. Yes, assuming you are talking about a V2 date sub (i.e., 116610LN or 116610LV), the ZZF 114060 no date sub still comes with a decorated 2836 clone movement
2. No; the VR is a 90% copy.
3. A lot of parts can be swapped for genuine, but some cannot, so you will have to do research. Diall, hands and date wheel can be swapped for genuine parts, but beyond that you need to do some research.

Hi, but all TDs selling the no date Sub with 2836 or 3130 but i am not sure :
1 .if it is the VR or the SA 3130 movement
2. they use the same case as the gen sub and in the future can replace it with a gen 3130 movement , i understand Noob V10 case is not the gen but ZZFv2 or VRFmax made the same case constuction/desighn.

Last edited:

neils

Horology Curious
22/10/12
If this VR3135 is so much better and I can't personally vouch that it is yet because I haven't had them tested for long enough yet, but it certainly looks much better and I have all the 3135 variants here and as I watchmaker by trade I work on them and have been for a few years now. The problem I find 95% of the time is that the Auto wind fails, this is due to ratchet wheel part 510 or red reversing wheels part 540. Normally I find the teeth all worn off the ratchet wheel in one area but his could be because the reversing wheel isn't functioning correctly.

So if VR3135 is much better then why is no factory such as NF, JF/ARF, GMF or BP using this VR3135 in there Submariners ??????

Last edited:

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
If this VR3135 is so much better and I can't personally vouch that it is yet because I haven't had them tested for long enough yet, but it certainly looks much better and I have all the 3135 variants here and as I watchmaker by trade I work on them and have been for a few years now. The problem I find 95% of the time is that the Auto wind fails, this is due to ratchet wheel part 510 or red reversing wheels part 540. Normally I find the teeth all worn off the ratchet wheel in one area but his could be because the reversing wheel isn't functioning correctly.

So if VR3135 is much better then why is no factory such as NF, JF/ARF, GMF or BP using this VR3135 in there Submariners ??????

The autowind on these is fine, the wheels aren't painted which helps.

I think there's a few reasons they don't use it. The same reasons noob don't use the ARF dial, why arf don't use the noob movement, why everyone here ends up having to buy 2-3 different reps to try and make one they actually like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

Domisus

Renowned Member
28/3/18
Austria
I have an automatic module for sale if you are interested. Will resolve any winding issues!

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

neils

Horology Curious
22/10/12
I have an automatic module for sale if you are interested. Will resolve any winding issues!

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Which movement is it for? They're not all compatible with each other. The problem ones I have are 3x SH3135, all have failed auto wind, all from an JF/ARF DeepSea D-Blue, all less than 4 months old!

How much are you looking for? Can you send a pic? Where are you based?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Kingsman

Renowned Member
24/11/15
Savile Row
I’m pretty sure sales/trades discussions are not well accepted outside the relevant section; not sure what the exact rule is but I’d take a look :)

Reactions: Hinclimincli

New_record

Looking Around
17/9/20
Hello everyone and well done for this discussion.
I am new to this.
In summary, to replace the SA 3135 mechanism on a NOOB V10 116610 LN watch, what are the adaptable versions of the 3135 and the best performing please ?

Last edited:

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I was able to get the date changing good by just bending the date jumper spring and making it “stronger.” It remains to be seen how permanent a solution that ends up being.

I do think that it’s a far better base to start from vs an SH. My highlights:

- right canon/minute pinions. It sets with a smooth/tight turning and the hand stack doesn’t wobble!
- better metal finishing
- better reversing wheels,
- true KIF shock springs
- better quality train wheels
- better barrel
- uses gen 3135 stem (unlike SA3135)

Cons:
- balance bridge isn’t adjustable. Those gold nuts are just decoration.
- old school banking pins
- auto bridge isn’t jeweled on the bottom.
- date change spring is weak

If I had another one to actually keep I’d try swapping some jewels around and maybe use an SH mainplate, mainspring, date jumper spring, auto bridge bottom plate, and driving wheel for ratchet wheel. That, IMO would give you the best of the best.

Thank you for a very informative thread.

Is the comparison the same today or did the VR movement improve since this teardown?

I'm especially thinking about which parts to switch to SH or gen. I already have a auto wind module.