• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

087 is finally out - [**** QC pics allowed ****]

lolo1972sg

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
3/10/15
Sillypore
To summarize, find below some comments about the little flaws of this nice rep:

Thanks Grim and shoes for their info and gen pics.

CROWN GUARD
Some old PAM models didn’t have the impressive finish quality of new ones. That affects also the inner corners of the CG. As commented by projectologist in RG the finish of H maker rep is even better.
http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=248805&p=2741202&viewfull=1#post2741202
But it bis also inaccurate

I have seen many gen pics from different sources (mainly shoes and Grim gens) and what I see is that the inner CG corners of the gen are not either squared or rounded, they are “chamferedâ€. In the same way as PAM 064, PAM 056 and PAM 061.
Due to the little inconsistency of gen finish in those old models we can find from perfectly “chamfered†inner corners to slightly rounded corners.
Below some gen pics to shown these differences. On many of them you can see perfectly the “chamfered†above commented.

panerai_pam087_luminor_1000m_sub._blue_dial_21202_5995.jpg

96bedabe9f78a4706a429b1ba66a7b09.jpg

493a6a1b5848bbdf823b03676b10d895.jpg

ea8e7525e37049675c578c4e9374dba0.jpg

0e06b71d59f5d0a98577f963c0ff2fde.jpg

b58ca4846d9454e67fb54b7d9adc653f.jpg

On the last pic the chamfered is obvious. Below pic shows the “chamfered†I’m talking about.

pam%2520087-%2520inner%2520chamfered%2520CG%2520copiar_zpsqx9jf4ly.jpg

Therefore H maker CG, which has squared corners, is nicely finished, even better than gen, of course, but somehow it is inaccurate. It is one of the few “flaws†of this magnificent rep.
As commented by Grim, H maker has already proved the capacity to get this “chamfered†inner corners, because H maker has already got this feature in PAM 056 and 061.

PEARL COLOUR
Not only PAM 087 has different colours of pearls depending on the material used by Panerai (as commented by projectoligist in RG), but it depends a lot on the angle of view and the lighting. In this regard read previous post by Grimlocktime
https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb...llowed-****?p=2542305&viewfull=1#post-2542305

CASEBACK ENGRAVINGS
In relation to the caseback, just to say that H maker is nicely made and showing the differences of engraving depth between the production number (shallower) and the rest of engravings (really deep). As I can see from pics and QC pics H maker deeper engravings are a bit shallower than gen ones.
See the shoes gen engravings in below pics:

ccdaa2ef7ba6090efae77dbbb5dc5ea1.jpg

0e06b71d59f5d0a98577f963c0ff2fde.jpg

They are IMO clearly deeper than rep engravings

GRAIN OF BRUSHING
Another interesting difference could be the “grain†of the brushing. Usually gen has finer brushing than H maker rep. But that can be variable between gen batches, as we can see in gen pics above shown.

That said I think we have a high quality Super rep and a nice watch to be strongly recommended.
Congrats H maker for this nice job

ALE

Thanks to ALE, this might just be my next PAM rep.....

Netbis71

15/4/15
Just got to my QC pictures this morning, overall I think it looks ok, comments are welcome. Thanks ALE for allowing QC for this awesome new release.

I see bezel missaligned @12 this is almost always an issue for me when bezel rotates, I have not gotten a rep that aligns markers @12, maybe just needs one extra click ccw ?

bezel alignment@12, not sure ?

bezel markers, hard to see, seems nicely finished ?

knurling, looks ok for what these bad pictures are worth ?

I know very little about cyclops, how does it look, are the edges polished ? I checked against post from Polonus and it seems to look similar to his watch.

crown guard seems nice, it is lacking that chamfered look and it is more square

backplate looks ok with shallow etching as expected, I see OP "O" a bit too thick as well, but I am not sure 100%.

I wish they sent me better pictures. I never got the lume shot, no timegrapher result. I asked TD to send me better pictures, lume, crystal and timegrapher and if bezel clicks aligned @12

Please tell me what do you think about this great watch ?

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
The bezel does look mis-aligned. I would ask the TD if it's just a click off or if it's a problem. Why any TD would send photos like that is beyond me. That's something that that a total newb should notice.

elusive1

I'm Pretty Popular
5/12/15
bezel alignment at 12 has been an issue for me on submersible reps too. Why is it so hard?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Netbis71

15/4/15
The bezel does look mis-aligned. I would ask the TD if it's just a click off or if it's a problem. Why any TD would send photos like that is beyond me. That's something that that a total newb should notice.

If bezel markers align in between markers on the dial once, even when clicked forward it will never be aligned. Such a nice watch, hopefully I get this resolved.

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
I am willing to bet you could snorkel at least with these and not have any issues..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without wanting to water down this thread - I just got back from 10 days snorkelling trip with a V6 Pam 508 and I must say that it was a wonderful, wonderful experience, with the watch being exposed to water (submerged) for prolonged periods of time without any issues. I've went with it swimming before, but not snorkelling, so that puts things at different level, I would not worry for those pieces being waterproof, most of the time they should be, the factories are doing a good job imho

Netbis71

15/4/15
Is it common on the watch to have bezel mark misaligned with marks on the dial, or is it my bad luck ?

Does anyone know if this can be fixed and aligned properly @12 mark ?

pamdude

Known Member
19/3/15
Is it common on the watch to have bezel mark misaligned with marks on the dial, or is it my bad luck ?

Does anyone know if this can be fixed and aligned properly @12 mark ?

Well...some gen has misaligned bezel, too. It should be an easy fix if you have a case knife. Or you can send it to one of the modders and should not be a problem for them.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
I am really curious about the bezel ratchet construction... Has anyone taken their bezel off yet?

Netbis71

15/4/15
Not sure if I can post links to gen site here, but I found related info on network54 forum (googled it) someone disassembled gen 025H, which should be similar in construction anyways, looks like pam subs have nylon ring under rotating piece, same construction as reps I think. As far as disassembled h-fac rep 087 just been released, so I doubt anyone attempted to disassemble it so soon.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
Not sure if I can post links to gen site here, but I found related info on network54 forum (googled it) someone disassembled gen 025H, which should be similar in construction anyways, looks like pam subs have nylon ring under rotating piece, same construction as reps I think. As far as disassembled h-fac rep 087 just been released, so I doubt anyone attempted to disassemble it so soon.

Thanks man! :)
The reason I asked is because of EXACTLY the thread you are talking about! XD
I am curious if H maker has a better ratchet system than OEM Panerai with their cheap plastic rings... I have a feeling that HF Pam087 has a stamped steel ratchet under the bezel which is actually of much higher durability than gen :)

shoes

19/8/14
I can confirm the gen uses two plastic rings one in the bezel and one in a channel in the case. They are flimsy and wear out it's a poor design flaw considering the dive heritage of panerai. I will post pictures tomorrow.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11

Thanks man! :)
The reason I asked is because of EXACTLY the thread you are talking about! XD
I am curious if H maker has a better ratchet system than OEM Panerai with their cheap plastic rings... I have a feeling that HF Pam087 has a stamped steel ratchet under the bezel which is actually of much higher durability than gen :)

NO PROBLEM if you post the gen links
That will be welcome
Go ahead

ALE

Netbis71

15/4/15
I can confirm the gen uses two plastic rings one in the bezel and one in a channel in the case. They are flimsy and wear out it's a poor design flaw considering the dive heritage of panerai. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Thank you, please do so.

Netbis71

15/4/15
I accepted the QC on Jan.31, but isn't amp=230deg kinda low where acceptable levels should be around 270~300 ?

My only hope is that watch wasn't fully winded and amp was reading low because of this. Beat Error: is 0.5 which is GOOD, and RATE: only -4 sec/day, but movement may need service asap if amp is this low for real.

shoes

19/8/14
Gen bezel retaining ring and click system construction as per request

00086dcc75e9e6421e25e77378d3dc8f.jpg