• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF 126610 Submariner with VS3235 Latest Movement 72 Hours Power Reserve

tlabowski01

Known Member
4/9/19
Thanks. Have you done one on this model? Really don't want to ruin the hytrel gasket as spares aren't easy to come by

I had a similar issue with a ZZF 116610. Turns out the xtal retaining ring wasn’t set properly. I popped the bezel off and tried to re-seat the h-gasket a few times but had no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Just checking that your gen crown is specifically for the 126610? So far all the parts we often swap out for gen are different from the 116610 (bezel, insert, crystal, dial, etc).

I think the 126610 also uses the 24-704 crown which is what I have put on.
Looks like I might have to switch back to the rep. crown if I want a flush sitting, or by installing the gen. spec tube - then lots of work is needed.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I think the 126610 also uses the 24-704 crown which is what I have put on.
Looks like I might have to switch back to the rep. crown if I want a flush sitting, or by installing the gen. spec tube - then lots of work is needed.

Removing a rep tube and replacing with a gen one is not bad at all if the threads in the case are correct and intact. Just add some locktite and done. You just need a tube removal tool - some people even just jam a file in the tube and unscrew the tube with vise grips. I like to try to keep the rep tube reusable if possible but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

One like this has worked for me a few times.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3531382086...a074ruX0qnjIfeVm8HE4iF8QcdXyyfiUaAv6hEALw_wcB

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Removing a rep tube and replacing with a gen one is not bad at all if the threads in the case are correct and intact. Just add some locktite and done. You just need a tube removal tool - some people even just jam a file in the tube and unscrew the tube with vise grips. I like to try to keep the rep tube reusable if possible but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

One like this has worked for me a few times.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3531382086...rip down of the case for this gen. tube work.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
This is the timegraph with the watch ex factory. It shows the VS3235 is perfectly regulated at the factory with excellent stability.

This is the gap between the case with the gen crown installed that I have been talking about.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
No, you have to retap the threads and countersink the tube hole for the gen, tube. The rep tube has a pretty different spec., particularly the underside, to that of the the gen. 7030 tube. I have done this for all of my other subs, basically it is a complete strip down of the case for this gen. tube work.

Ahh OK, I see why that seems like a big setback. I hate it when a simple upgrade snowballs into a major ordeal. I removed my 126610 movement from the case only to examine the dial construction and it snowballed into a winding issue, a bad balance, and a broken pinion on the escape wheel. I had to put it aside for a bit. I bet you install the gen tube eventually ;)

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
No, you have to retap the threads and countersink the tube hole for the gen, tube. The rep tube has a pretty different spec., particularly the underside, to that of the the gen. 7030 tube. I have done this for all of my other subs, basically it is a complete strip down of the case for this gen. tube work.

Did you already have a look behind the VSF tube? Asking because someone mentioned in the 116610 thread that his gen tube fitted straight away, would be pleasantly surprised if VSF did gen spec in that regard, unfortunately still had no VSF to look at that..

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Is there an advantage with going with a gen tube? Seems to me if the rep tube is reasonably well made it should be just fine.

Sharki06

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/5/18
next and end of my story, youhouu, after 5 rejected watch, i have finally get a good one ! correct SEL, DW alignement is perfect , can't wait to receive it now :p

Last edited:

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
Is there an advantage with going with a gen tube? Seems to me if the rep tube is reasonably well made it should be just fine.

The gen tube usually has a better thread than rep tubes, nicer feeling when screwing the crown down, also the gaskets used to be different ones, gen has flat ones between case and tube while the rep ones are round, results in a slightly lower water resistance, provided the case got counterbored correctly so the gen tube sits as it is supposed to.
So imo also not always worth it because of the case modification on reps (don't know if needed on VSF), but in bertiengs case the rep tube seems too long for the gen crown so maybe he will be forced to change the tube

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Did you already have a look behind the VSF tube? Asking because someone mentioned in the 116610 thread that his gen tube fitted straight away, would be pleasantly surprised if VSF did gen spec in that regard, unfortunately still had no VSF to look at that..

Do you have that thread so that I can look into it? This is interesting if it really is a straight swapping.
Though I am pretty sure you need to countersink and retap the tube hole before you can install the gen. tube properly. The underside dimension of the rep tube is slightly different to that of the gen.

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
This is the gap between the case with the gen crown installed that I have been talking about.
may be the wrong thing to do, but could it be that you can just file a bit off the end of the tube so you can screw the crown down more? OK that sounded crude, I mean you file it down, then bevel it proper, then smooth the edges with 1000, 2000, and then jewlery rogue so mating surface is mirror smooth for waterproof...

Last edited:

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
Do you have that thread so that I can look into it? This is interesting if it really is a straight swapping.
Though I am pretty sure you need to countersink and retap the tube hole before you can install the gen. tube properly. The underside dimension of the rep tube is slightly different to that of the gen.

I'll try to find it but if the tube is different from gen then most probably you're right and case is also

DutchSUB

Supporter
Certified
30/10/14
[EU] Netherlands
ZsuqAt.jpg

Uhr70

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/13
USA
Trying to understand it but I can’t seem to be able to see it… Can someone explain to me cyclops distortion? Thank you!

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
Trying to understand it but I can’t seem to be able to see it… Can someone explain to me cyclops distortion? Thank you!

You have older vsf cyclops. There are no discussion on it. I have 1st batch of LN, no discussion.