• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Interesting, that's some pretty intricate metal cutting. And then placing the tiny middle pieces of letters like R O A etc. Wow.

??? do you refer to the dials ???
If YES ... there is no metal cutting
Metal is perfectly flat and polished and the black ink is printed on ... only the gilt parts are not printed
That works exactly as a gilt decal dial but black is printed using silk-print or pad-print

I have handled quite a few, they are. It's not something you can see easily in pics but IRL it's obvious. The only difference with what manodeoro posted is they are mostly delivered with a smooth gloss lacquer finish.
MQ sells the same stuff if not better, some say all vietnam dials come from the same maker and MQ gets sort of first dibs.

How much do they ask for those dials ?... $$$ I suppose
I'd really better like one without any lacker on as it seems the recess effect of the gilt parts is much more present without than with lacker.
Plus, if I'm true, the original dials were produced without any lacker on.

Since a few months I've been training with a friend that does silk-printing and now I feel almost ready to go my own way.
So last week I have ordered some slik-screens, frames, sensitive emulsion, inks, etc ...
As I already have designed many vintage dials for gilt decal dials, I really hope that before summer I could achieve to print my first own real negative-gilt dials.
If I succeed that could an opened path to build any negative-gilt (or else) vintage dial I want to have, plus the possibility to build those for any movement (I can solder the dial feets where they have to be) and adapt the design and printing to any case-opening variation.
... fingers crossed :p

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
do you refer to the dials
Metal is perfectly flat and polished and the black ink is printed on ... only the gilt parts are not printed
That works exactly as a gilt decal dial but black is printed using silk-print or pad-print

That makes more sense, I was wondering why there was no appreciable depth contours between the colors. Still, that's some intricate detailing. Fascinating aspect of this hobby, you have certainly taken it to another level. Thanks for the explanation.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
That makes more sense, I was wondering why there was no appreciable depth contours between the colors. Still, that's some intricate detailing. Fascinating aspect of this hobby, you have certainly taken it to another level. Thanks for the explanation.

The dials on the pics I posted are NOT mine, neither produced by me ... those were produced a while ago by "he who must not be named" ;)
If I only could achieve to make dials even a 20% of that quality for my own builds I would be really happy ... but I'm still on the first steps of a very long staircase

Reactions: KJ2020

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18

I'd really better like one without any lacker on as it seems the recess effect of the gilt parts is much more present without than with lacker.

Since a few months I've been training with a friend that does silk-printing and now I feel almost ready to go my own way.
So last week I have ordered some slik-screens, frames, sensitive emulsion, inks, etc ...
As I already have designed many vintage dials for gilt decal dials, I really hope that before summer I could achieve to print my first own real negative-gilt dials.
If I succeed that could an opened path to build any negative-gilt (or else) vintage dial I want to have, plus the possibility to build those for any movement (I can solder the dial feets where they have to be) and adapt the design and printing to any case-opening variation.

Fingers crossed, indeed!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy

MQ asks up to 1000 usd for one of these, but in general they can be sourced around 250-350 from other dealers.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
MQ asks up to 1000 usd for one of these, but in general they can be sourced around 250-350 from other dealers.

WOW !!!
$1000 sounds crazy IMHO, except if they are reprinted on Gen vintage Singer dial plates
$250-350 sounds better but still highfor my wallet so I'll keep on trying making my own ... if I ever succeed :confused:

Reactions: imajedi and KJ2020

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
This is my negative relief decal dial with gold leaf applied to the dial before the decal applied
VMwx7g.md.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The dials on the pics I posted are NOT mine, neither produced by me ... those were produced a while ago by "he who must not be named" ;)
If I only could achieve to make dials even a 20% of that quality for my own builds I would be really happy ... but I'm still on the first steps of a very long staircase

Yes, I knew those dials were not yours but I was referring to your work in general which is really a cut above. You have a talent for this kind of work, I know you will achieve great results!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
This is my negative relief decal dial with gold leaf applied to the dial before the decal applied
VMwx7g.md.jpg

Yours is GREAT !!!
but, to be 100% honest ... all your builds are amazing ;)
BTW ... I must apologize for giving no news on the other board ... so sorry and I'll PM this evening

Reactions: 369mafia

djulink

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/9/14
That would be « Gilt » (no, it could be cheaper; it depends on the « how to make the dial » process):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gents, I’m sorry I realized later on that you could not see the pics (on the second one, if you zoom in on the littérature you can see that negative relief print effect we talk about).

here they are:
VeOaVL.md.jpg
VeOtso.md.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hinclimincli

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
So, KJ2020, did you get your albino dial from Ruby? I'm searching and I can't find any, would this be the correct section? http://rubyswatch.com/Products/parts/gmt-6542

Also looking for a decent Pan-Am caseback but for some reason Yuki website is no longer working...

Yuki website still working for me today but it seem they don't sell the caseback alone and only a complete casekit.
To be 100% honest, I think that paying $1000 for a 6542 casekit with a LASER engraved Pan-Am caseback is crazy :p

VkGy7b.jpg

Hinclimincli ... one thing you could do is to :

- design the caseback engrvings with Photoshop
- have laser engraved on your caseback (could cost about $30 ... depending on where you're based)
- smooth the sharp edges of the engravings with a dremel and a wire brush
- redo the caseback linear brushing if needed (flat working support + caseback on a movement holder + 360 grade sandpaper + ruller)
- ENJOY

Here's a pic of my A/6538 caseback, laser-engraved and smoothed by myself (I could have done better if I did spent a little more time)

en7VK.jpg

Hope this help ;)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Yuki website still working for me today but it seem they don't sell the caseback alone and only a complete casekit.
To be 100% honest, I think that paying $1000 for a 6542 casekit with a LASER engraved Pan-Am caseback is crazy :p

VkGy7b.jpg

Hinclimincli ... one thing you could do is to :

- design the caseback engrvings with Photoshop
- have laser engraved on your caseback (could cost about $30 ... depending on where you're based)
- smooth the sharp edges of the engravings with a dremel and a wire brush
- redo the caseback linear brushing if needed (flat working support + caseback on a movement holder + 360 grade sandpaper + ruller)
- ENJOY

Here's a pic of my A/6538 caseback, laser-engraved and smoothed by myself (I could have done better if I did spent a little more time)

en7VK.jpg

Hope this help ;)

Why thank you for the comprehensive list. It seems a bit overwhelming to someone with my limited skills, though, haha. I wish I had the tools, the time and the knowledge to do that with confidence. One day, one day...

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Look here for white dials

http://rubyswatch.com/Products/parts/gmt-1675

Also, try contacting member jmb I heard he can engrave casebacks, the Pan Am in particular

Nice! I guess I was checking the wrong place (the 6542 section). Will check, although I'm not 100% sure if I want an albino GMT, I really like the looks of the black dial. Might upgrade it to a gilt dial. And I would really like to improve its water resistance. I have a new set of tube & crown coming, so let's see if that helps.

In terms of the crystal, I understand it doesn't have any gaskets, right? So if the water resistance is compromised there there's nothing I can do, is that correct?

Thanks so much guys, this thread is really helpful. The Bakelite Fellowship, haha!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Why thank you for the comprehensive list. It seems a bit overwhelming to someone with my limited skills, though, haha. I wish I had the tools, the time and the knowledge to do that with confidence. One day, one day...

TOOLS : all you need is a cheap dremel-like - about $40
TIME : sleep less ;)
KNOWLEDGE : if you can fit a new head on your electric toothbrush you can fit a wire brush on a dremel
SKILLS : if your teeth are properly clean (no offense) you can do that job :p

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
TOOLS : all you need is a cheap dremel-like - about $40
TIME : sleep less ;)
KNOWLEDGE : if you can fit a new head on your electric toothbrush you can fit a wire brush on a dremel
SKILLS : if your teeth are properly clean (no offense) you can do that job :p

LOL!

I have a three year old daughter which is one of those rare specimens of high needs babies/toddlers, and if that wasn't enough we had another baby this last October. I can tell you there is absolute no way I can sleep less, haha.