• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus date wheel project

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
PF with white JJF dial.

So compared with gen the date window is a bit further offset to the right and deeper giving the wheel a greyish tint (unless in direct sunlight)

The markers lume at 1,2,4,5,7,8,10 & 11 are a little wider than gen. Markers at noon could move up a little.

On the plus side, the lume is the correct color, the text on the dial looks good and it has a touch of silver when viewed off center.

Overall, its a pretty good dial. Just needs a good date wheels

20180808-162101.jpg

20180808-160855.jpg

Last edited:

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
@SpongeBob

I know it has been mentioned a few times that this DW won't work with ZF Aquanaut.

My question is:
Is it because of the Date Window Postion?

Or

Construction of the DW itself?

If latter is the case.
From what I understand PF uses an Overlay on top of a standard Miyota Date Wheel. But ZF uses a custom Date Wheel for it's modified Miyota Movement. And this Overlay is similar to that of the PF overlay hence it a match made in heaven (or SpongeBob's Shop ;))

If my understanding is correct. In theory, the ZF date wheel or a similar Date Wheel can be thinned to compensate for the overlay thickness and this Overlay can be used.

Right?

Reactions: vcappp

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
@SpongeBob

I know it has been mentioned a few times that this DW won't work with ZF Aquanaut.

My question is:
Is it because of the Date Window Postion?

Or

Construction of the DW itself?

If latter is the case.
From what I understand PF uses an Overlay on top of a standard Miyota Date Wheel. But ZF uses a custom Date Wheel for it's modified Miyota Movement. And this Overlay is similar to that of the PF overlay hence it a match made in heaven (or SpongeBob's Shop ;))

If my understanding is correct. In theory, the ZF date wheel or a similar Date Wheel can be thinned to compensate for the overlay thickness and this Overlay can be used.

Right?

ill answer you some of this:

First, no one has tried to fit this into a ZF watch as far as i know at least.

Second, in the miyota movement the dw is recessed inside the movement, unless ZF milled the edge he to used an overlay.

The issue with the overlay is this: All different makers use different specs for their dials this also means different date windows specs. so you have to print an overlay for every maker, makes this kind hard since it takes time to develop, more time than it takes a factory to improve their own or make a new version.

Reactions: vcappp

Tobel

6/7/17
Karlus thanks for the pics and the comments mate, very helpful. Couple of things:

1/ do you think there is a way to get the datewheel closer to the dial to avoid the sunken issue that you're describing? Is it because of the thickness of the dial or because of the position of the movement and DW Vs. dial?

2/ since you're going to open the watch again to install the upcoming DW, you may want to try moving your 12 o'clock markers, they both look a bit crooked to me. My 2 cents ;)

Cheers!

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Karlus thanks for the pics and the comments mate, very helpful. Couple of things:

1/ do you think there is a way to get the datewheel closer to the dial to avoid the sunken issue that you're describing? Is it because of the thickness of the dial or because of the position of the movement and DW Vs. dial?

2/ since you're going to open the watch again to install the upcoming DW, you may want to try moving your 12 o'clock markers, they both look a bit crooked to me. My 2 cents ;)

Cheers!

1) No, seems to be the thickness of that window. Dont see any real room to move it up.

2) Yes, depends if they are glued down or have pins. Moving them if they are glued is easier.

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17

Cheers!

Here are some photos where I tried to get the space between the wheel and dial. I apologize if they are not the best, but these two are the best out of many. There may be a small bit of room, however the problem looks like the depth of the window (the black frame) is really deep.

The other observation is the white background of the wheel might not be the most reflective white and produces that greyish look. The dial itself is a very bright reflective white.

Finally, the window itself *might* be smaller than gen (the black border appears thicker than gen). It certainly sits closer to the edge of the bezel. Smaller window, less light to hit the surface of the wheel.

Thoughts?

20190127-160103.jpg

20190127-160010.jpg

Last edited:

Tobel

6/7/17
Hey Karlus , thanks a ton for taking the time. I see what you mean. Now just thinking out loud, but it looks like the border of the datewindow is an added piece of let's say plastic on top of the dial, when I don't think the gen is this way as it looks much more flat. I'm wondering whether we would have a better result without that piece and simply painting the border that should be below in black. In the blue model there's a border that is "cut" in the dial so it may be the same. Not sure my explanation is super clear ;)

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
Hey Karlus , thanks a ton for taking the time. I see what you mean. Now just thinking out loud, but it looks like the border of the datewindow is an added piece of let's say plastic on top of the dial, when I don't think the gen is this way as it looks much more flat. I'm wondering whether we would have a better result without that piece and simply painting the border that should be below in black. In the blue model there's a border that is "cut" in the dial so it may be the same. Not sure my explanation is super clear ;)

It is clear. In the gen dial, the window is not a plastic frame on top of the dial. Im not sure painting it will have a good look however.

s-l1p600.jpg

Tobel

6/7/17
It is clear. In the gen dial, the window is not a plastic frame on top of the dial. Im not sure painting it will have a good look however.

Yes that's my concern as well. It would require to remove the plastic piece without damaging the dial then painting such a small surface without screwing up ;) I'm just wondering why the factory didn't do it this way
​​​​​​

Keylog74

14/6/13
Yes that's my concern as well. It would require to remove the plastic piece without damaging the dial then painting such a small surface without screwing up ;) I'm just wondering why the factory didn't do it this way
​​​​​​

im not really sure i fallow your guys conversation. The JJF white dial has a correct date windows color. the dark gray one was avaiable before the new black came out.

The nautilus has diffrent dials depending on the year production.

Tobel

6/7/17
im not really sure i fallow your guys conversation. The JJF white dial has a correct date windows color. the dark gray one was avaiable before the new black came out.

The nautilus has diffrent dials depending on the year production.

It's not about the Color but about the depth. Karlus was saying that the datewheel looks sunken and it seems that it's because the date window - with its added part on top of the dial rather than a painted border on the dial - increases the depth

Keylog74

14/6/13
It's not about the Color but about the depth. Karlus was saying that the datewheel looks sunken and it seems that it's because the date window - with its added part on top of the dial rather than a painted border on the dial - increases the depth

26e801803defa69dce85d1683cbaabc8.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
ill answer you some of this:

First, no one has tried to fit this into a ZF watch as far as i know at least.

Second, in the miyota movement the dw is recessed inside the movement, unless ZF milled the edge he to used an overlay.

The issue with the overlay is this: All different makers use different specs for their dials this also means different date windows specs. so you have to print an overlay for every maker, makes this kind hard since it takes time to develop, more time than it takes a factory to improve their own or make a new version.

Thanks for your kind reply.

Let's see what my modder can do. I will update on this group.

Cheers!

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
In other news the incredible SpongeBob has finished my blue dial PF. This not only got the new datewheel but also had the markers re-aligned, bezel and midcase rebrushed, rotor silenced and a 2xAR Prof crystal. Whew! Hat's off to Sponge!

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

Hmmm, I would reject QC...

(and send that beauty to me)

Reactions: glee79

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18
Karlus I have the exact watch and mods going on now with Spongbob as well. Although he never mentioned that brushing part. You reckon makes a difference?