• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Welcome to The Brig - personwholikeswatches

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
How to be a valuable member of a community.

How does one become a valuable member of a community, you might ask? Well, don’t listen to me, because I am not(yet hopefully). Look to people like Raddave, occb2, yllekp, BigOffshoreDaddy, trailboss99 etc.. All of them and so many more have demonstrated extreme value to a relatively small community of watch enthusiasts in a rather obscure corner of the internet. These fine gentlemen didn’t become valuable members of their community by being jerks or paying for it. No, they worked hard at making their community a better place for everyone. They each have several thousand posts, which clearly demonstrates a time commitment that very few are willing to put in. What is required to become a valuable member of any community include: Dedication, Compassion, Determination, selflessness etc. Every one of the previously mentioned people has demonstrated all of these in spades. The way to be a crappy member of a community is to demonstrate a lack of caring for other members of said community. Calling respected members “cunts” does exactly that. It makes you come across as an asshole and an immature child because such an assessment is fair.

The first step to becoming a valued member of a community is having good manners and being polite. No name calling(unless justified, like name calling at a stupid teenager who thought that calling respected members of the community cunts was a good idea, though that’s just an obscure example). If you are about to post or say something in a community, first consider if said post will help the community be a better place for everybody.

The next and arguably most important step is to BE ACTIVE on the community. Participate in the discussion and conversation as often as you can, and help people where you can if you know more than they do. Don’t be condescending while you do it either, or that person may be put off from the community as a whole and not want to return. If you are active and polite enough, people will begin to respect and think highly of you. Long, unexplained absences and being an asshole will serve to dig yourself a hole to die in.

If you have the means, support your community in any ways you can. This could mean donating a few dollars to the cause, or showing up to meetups/hangouts of the members of your community or helping to organize said hangouts. This shows a level of dedication beyond simply being active and polite on the internet. It shows people that you have a level of dedication above and beyond the call of duty.

Another thing to do is create your own content that helps people and takes advantage of your skills. If you’re a watchsmith on a watch forum, create guides on disassembling or maintaining movements. If you’re tech-savvy, help make the website a more fluid, enjoyable experience for everyone who visits by assisting with things on the back end. If you’re a very eloquent writer, write reviews of items of interest in the community that people can read and learn from. Demonstrate your expertise so people know to trust what you have to say about certain things. Every one of these things will help both the new and seasoned members of the community learn more, and some of them may end up helping the community in the same ways that you do.

If you do make one or several mistakes, don’t defend yourself and justify your actions, because that shows a level of immaturity and unwillingness to better yourself. Be apologetic, and demonstrate why you are still a valuable member of the community despite the mistakes you made. If you are an asshole or break the rules, don’t defend yourself, and instead be apologetic and accept the advice people give to you instead of brushing it off as the insignificant words of less intelligent beings. Use the experience as an opportunity to learn and become a better person, do not flaunt your ego and perceived “intelligence” to people who see you for the way you are, instead of an idealized, self-aggrandized version of yourself that you see. Don’t act like you are the enlightened scholar of the world and the only reason people would criticise you is that they’re stupid. If you do listen, you may, in fact, realize that they were the ones who were enlightened the whole time, not you. By accepting the criticism of you that they offer, you will likely become a better, more happy person. Many of your critics may be much older and much wiser than you, familiar with the way the world works and how to do well in it. Listen to their advice and take it to heart if you want to be a better person.

In summary, the most important ways to be a valued member of a community are not being an asshole, contributing, and accepting criticism. By being an asshole, you show that you are an immature person not fit to participate in the community with the other people just trying to share their passion. By contributing to the pool of knowledge and helping people who need it you demonstrate a dedication to your community because you are willing to take time out of your day to lend a helping hand. Finally, by accepting criticism, you demonstrate a willingness to grow as a person and learn from your mistakes. No one likes someone who is stubborn and stuck in their ways, already convinced that they’re the pinnacle of humanity and that no one else can touch them. That is most assuredly not the case. By accepting criticism, you will likely become a better person and realize how much worse you used to be than you are now. It shows a level of maturity that you are most definitely not showing by being a stubborn asshole. These are the best ways to become a valued member of a community.

BigOffshoreDaddy

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
What?.....I like whores...you got a problem with that?

Sent from my neural implant.

Not at all. I am all for legalization of prostitution. In fact, I think whores should be paid for with taxes and thus free to anyone who desires(kinda like universal healthcare in Scandinavian countries). ;)

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Not at all. I am all for legalization of prostitution. In fact, I think whores should be paid for with taxes and thus free to anyone who desires(kinda like universal healthcare in Scandinavian countries). ;)

Now yer talking sense, add legalized pot to that equation and we can make Jeff Session's head spin like a top.

Reactions: Ralphy

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
Now yer talking sense, add legalized pot to that equation and we can make Jeff Session's head spin like a top.

Why stop there? Legalize and regulate every drug and let natural selection do its work. Watch the owners of the privatized prisons cry themselves to sleep! Jeff Sessions would straight up explode!

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Losing 15 lbs in 2 months? I do that in 2 days LOL!

personwholikeswatches if you really wanna change your life, hit me up. I will teach you de way. Believe me, you won't regret that decision but if you take it, consider it as irreversible so think smart.
How can you lose 15 lbs in 2 days? Thats even interested me :D

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Time to stop. ..... Just like in the video, the dog has barked and growled........ Sometimes, walking away into the sunset with lesson learned is a good thing.

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
Time to stop. ..... Just like in the video, the dog has barked and growled........ Sometimes, walking away into the sunset with lesson learned is a good thing.

But I want to interact with you guys. It's been great thus far(I've learned a lot and had some laughs), and I think it will continue to be. How does persistence make me a dumbass(cabron)?

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
Yes. I have made a lot of comments. I have replied to many people. There are many reasons why I am a dumbass, but I don't see how persistence is one of them. SUMIKITO

BigOffshoreDaddy

OG RWI - The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Patron
Certified
26/3/06
The Republic of Texas
You are saying the right things in this thread young man. At least now you are, but I’m not completely buying it. You were a dick to Rob not just once but several times. You added that you were a dick to Trip. I have also seen elements of your smart ass, dick attitude rising to the surface in some of your responses in this thread. It’s not up to me but if it was I’d leave you here for a while. Let’s see if you keep up the good attitude. We will come visit you and bring you cigarettes. You need to understand that there are repercussions from your actions. That’s something you apparently have not been taught.

The term “humility” is derived from the Latin ‘’Humus’’ and “Humilitas’’ which mean Earth and grounded, respectively, and refers to an idea of self-worth.

Humility can not be learned from being humiliated. Those two words have totally different meaning. Humility is an attitude you choose to acquire. It takes a strong, confident, assured of himself person to live and act in a humble way. Such person must first know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is representing inner strength and mental toughness within himself, and that it is so unshaken that the strongest hurricane of others’ downplaying his skills and importance won’t move him. He knows himself, and he knows what he represents with himself.

Anyone with even the slightest inkling toward pride, arrogance or narcissism need not apply, because they’ll lose the battle on day one.

Now Tucker is right personwholikeswatches...you are saying the right things. Tucker is a little bit more jaded than I am. It comes from a life of teasing puppies, pulling the wings off of flies, putting scotch tape on the feet of cats, stealing internet from the parking lot of the old folks home, replacing sacramental wine with balsamic vinegar...you get the picture. While I am less jaded than he, I am jaded to the point where I'll watch and maybe take pictures and video.

Yes, I am retired military...nothing ex about me. I used to lead and train young men not much older than you. And, on occasion, they would mouth off, much like you did. And when that happened, they got my most undivided attention...much like what you're receiving now from everyone here. They key in dealing with those individuals was to break them down...then build them up.

This is the breaking down part.

I asked you to do what you've done for a reason. You've been shown the error of your ways by being sent in here. You were asked to do the things you've done so that you can admit the error of your ways. What you've done so far is a good start. As I am fond of saying, "Don't tell me, show me."

The Brig is our penal institution for members who break our rules. I'm going to say that you're the first member I can recollect to have the distinction of being designated as an "Assmonkey Inmate" . As we speak, Mrs. BOD is laughing her ass off at that reference. I have to admit that it's funny, too. But by the same token, it's sad.

Where you learned such language at 16 (I'm guessing) is mind blowing. But where you acquired such insolence is shocking. Because I'll tell you now that if Mrs. BOD or myself was told that one of our 3 boys used that kind of language amongst grown adults, verbally or electronically, they would be drawing Social Security before they got off restrictions, and it would be the third coming of Jesus before their backsides stopped hurting. Their great-grandkids would be born with red asses. I'm sure you get my point.

What would your parents say? What would they do? Don't tell me, I already know. They didn't raise you this far to be this way, and I know they would be disappointed.

Why am I saying all of this? Because in all that you've said, good, bad and ugly, I feel that there's an opportunity here. You're a young man in a predominantly grown up community, and you're not acting like a mature young man. You are, as it's been referenced, acting like an assmonkey. Only you can show us that you belong here. This is your special place within this community. You can show us that you belong here in perpetuity, or you can show us that you've learned your lesson and ready to rejoin the ranks.

What you did what I asked you to do is a start. Don't use big words or phrases as to why you should be here. Show us why. These are just examples, and you need not answer tonight, or tomorrow, but what got you started in watches? What got you here? What's your favorite watch? What kind of stuff do you like to do? Show us your collection. What do you want to be when you grow up? You get the picture. And do not answer all of these questions tonight. As a matter of fact, if you do, it might show you're too eager...and that's a turn off. Prove to us that you belong here and in the rest of the Rep community. So that you'll stay here not just for if you get out, but for the very long haul. Years and years long haul.

Show me and show us, and I'm sure more members than I will support your release. Maybe even Tucker.

It's up to you, Joey.

Bill - BOD

personwholikeswatches

12/3/18
The term “humility” is derived from the Latin ‘’Humus’’ and “Humilitas’’ which mean Earth and grounded, respectively, and refers to an idea of self-worth.

Humility can not be learned from being humiliated. Those two words have totally different meaning. Humility is an attitude you choose to acquire. It takes a strong, confident, assured of himself person to live and act in a humble way. Such person must first know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is representing inner strength and mental toughness within himself, and that it is so unshaken that the strongest hurricane of others’ downplaying his skills and importance won’t move him. He knows himself, and he knows what he represents with himself.

Anyone with even the slightest inkling toward pride, arrogance or narcissism need not apply, because they’ll lose the battle on day one.

Now Tucker is right personwholikeswatches...you are saying the right things. Tucker is a little bit more jaded than I am. It comes from a life of teasing puppies, pulling the wings off of flies, putting scotch tape on the feet of cats, stealing internet from the parking lot of the old folks home, replacing sacramental wine with balsamic vinegar...you get the picture. While I am less jaded than he, I am jaded to the point where I'll watch and maybe take pictures and video.

Yes, I am retired military...nothing ex about me. I used to lead and train young men not much older than you. And, on occasion, they would mouth off, much like you did. And when that happened, they got my most undivided attention...much like what you're receiving now from everyone here. They key in dealing with those individuals was to break them down...then build them up.

I asked you to do what you've done for a reason. You've been shown the error of your ways by being sent in here. You were asked to do the things you've done so that you can admit the error of your ways. What you've done so far is a good start. As I am fond of saying, "Don't tell me, show me."

The Brig is our penal institution for members who break our rules. I'm going to say that you're the first member I can recollect to have the distinction of being designated as an "Assmonkey Inmate" . As we speak, Mrs. BOD is laughing her ass off at that reference. I have to admit that it's funny, too. But by the same token, it's sad.

Where you learned such language at 16 (I'm guessing) is mind blowing. But where you acquired such insolence is shocking. Because I'll tell you now that if Mrs. BOD or myself was told that one of our 3 boys used that kind of language amongst grown adults, verbally or electronically, they would be drawing Social Security before they got off restrictions, and it would be the third coming of Jesus before their backsides stopped hurting. Their great-grandkids would be born with red asses. I'm sure you get my point.

What would your parents say? What would they do? Don't tell me, I already know. They didn't raise you this far to be this way, and I know they would be disappointed.

Why am I saying all of this? Because in all that you've said, good, bad and ugly, I feel that there's an opportunity here. You're a young man in a predominantly grown up community, and you're not acting like a mature young man. You are, as it's been referenced, acting like an assmonkey. Only you can show us that you belong here. This is your special place within this community. You can show us that you belong here in perpetuity, or you can show us that you've learned your lesson and ready to rejoin the ranks.

What you did what I asked you to do is a start. Don't use big words or phrases as to why you should be here. Show us why. These are just examples, and you need not answer tonight, or tomorrow, but what got you started in watches? What got you here? What's your favorite watch? What kind of stuff do you like to do? Show us your collection. What do you want to be when you grow up? You get the picture. And do not answer all of these questions tonight. As a matter of fact, if you do, it might show you're too eager...and that's a turn off. Prove to us that you belong here and in the rest of the Rep community. So that you'll stay here not just for if you get out, but for the very long haul. Years and years long haul.

Show me and show us, and I'm sure more members than I will support your release. Maybe even Tucker.

It's up to you, Joey.

Bill - BOD

Wow. What a great read. I think you, more than anyone else, embody what it's like to be a valuable member of a community. I guess I will address your first question tonight. I think I first got into watches because of my passion for cars. There tends to be quite a lot of car people who are also watch people and vice versa. I only got into them around October of 2017, and any interest prior to that was just stuff like reading about crazy Patek super complications and thinking they were cool. I guess I just started watching a bunch of videos about them and thinking they were like cars in that they are mechanical creations that some people may say are unnecessary(like cool cars). The same reason I'd rather have a Porsche 911 over a Prius is why I'd rather have a mechanical watch over a quartz any day. My first watch was an Invicta pro diver(god help me). That thing is long gone. Good day!

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
This guys is mental ffs! how can someone get "enlightened" more in one thread more than during his entire life is beyond me...

have a good day? :D

He's so full of shit and people are buying it. Hilarious. Fair play to him, he clearly really, really doesn't want to get banned so he's doing everything he can not to, but it's it genuine? Is it fuck.

Good day!

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
He's so full of shit and people are buying it. Hilarious. Fair play to him, he clearly really, really doesn't want to get banned so he's doing everything he can not to, but it's it genuine? Is it fuck.

Good day!

i agree. your comment opened a new prespective to me. i can honestly say im a changed man.

Good day!

Reactions: Maron

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
personwholikeswatches

Man, what a gift the world has given to you!
This is a rare tool that many people search in life. If you love yourself, let it grow inside you, let it help you shape yourself in whatever you like.

I'm very proud to be a member of this community, thank you BOD.

It's up to you, Joey.

Bill - BOD