• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Iwc 3714 zf

rhc22

26/11/11
I have built enough Frankens to know what's needed. My question was specific to this particular case.

What governs whether the case will take the gen movement is the distance from the centre of the crown to the top of the movement. As the rep movement still uses a top plate then one of the different methods of modding will still have to be done.

rhc22

26/11/11
I just swapped to the gen dial and I'm super happy. Rep dial is very close but the only difference is the paint quality + the way it reflects. Somehow gen dial is glossy and matte at the same time. Really depends on the lighting but it's super hard to photograph. Dial is direct swap.

That's what's so nice about the gen Portuguese dials, they look different depending on how the light shines on them. In certain lights and angles they can look silver and not white. IWC list it as silver plated but what that actually means regarding the process I have no idea.
The newer rep dials are good but do not have the same reflective qualities giving all the different varitions of the gen.

QBalance156

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/8/07
So if I understand correctly, amongst the latest 3714 factories, we have the JJF (press on bezel with older case back font and assumed older style sec @6 movement), the SWF (screw on bezel with newer case back font and newer style sec @6 movement), the ZF (screw on bezel with newer case back font with movement version not yet confirmed). The only other thing I've noticed is that the ZF seems to have a much stronger, gen-like AR coating. [MENTION=50735]kennycoder[/MENTION], what do you think of the SWF AR coating?

kennycoder

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
10/9/12
So if I understand correctly, amongst the latest 3714 factories, we have the JJF (press on bezel with older case back font and assumed older style sec @6 movement), the SWF (screw on bezel with newer case back font and newer style sec @6 movement), the ZF (screw on bezel with newer case back font with movement version not yet confirmed). The only other thing I've noticed is that the ZF seems to have a much stronger, gen-like AR coating. @kennycoder, what do you think of the SWF AR coating?

AR coating is ok but not sure how close to gen it is. I will confirm during the upcoming weekend.

Keentje

25/7/13
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this one or to go with the 5001, still not sure. Either way it is going to be a sell for the ZF factory :p. What do you guys think is the most accurate watch?

QBalance156

25/8/07
Does anyone have any info that details all of the change points that IWC has made to the gen 3714 within the past couple of years? For example, they changed the caseback font, and I believe I read somewhere that they changed the dome height of the crystal. Anything else?

Patsanchik

Renowned Member
21/3/15
Canada
Yes mate.

Thanks kenny, for sharing your findings about the movement. So then, you're completely certain the SWF uses an improved movement with a shorter seconds transfer gear train? I saw your photo pointing to two bearings, but without actually being able to see the gears meshing behind the plate, it's not clear for me to appreciate the significance since I'm only a novice at trying to understand movements.

Don't get me wrong- I'm confident that you know what you're talking about. :p Sorry if it seems otherwise, it's just that I can hardly believe our long wait for improved reliability is finally coming to fruition!:laugh:

Patsanchik

Renowned Member
21/3/15
Canada
Kenny, further to my previous posting, I just noticed again the extra pics you posted on RWG... I'm repeating a couple of them below.

Does the 1st pic show the transfer of seconds from centre to 9, then the 2nd pic shows the transfer from 9 to 6? If so, then I wonder why they couldn't just transfer directly from centre to 6.
IMG_20140125_003825_zpse5442558.jpg

kzpTaTf.jpg

rhc22

26/11/11
Kenny, further to my previous posting, I just noticed again the extra pics you posted on RWG... I'm repeating a couple of them below.

Does the 1st pic show the transfer of seconds from centre to 9, then the 2nd pic shows the transfer from 9 to 6? If so, then I wonder why they couldn't just transfer directly from centre to 6.

Because you still have to transfer from position 1 in the second image and even if the large wheel would fit in the centre and not interfere it would mean everything builds up. The method in the second image looks by far the best solution.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
^The ZF 3878's use the second updated method with larger wheel. So far so good from me I own 2 3878's and they both keep awesome time/over 40hrs PR both and they are continuously on my winder for over 1 month now.

I honestly think the use of those smaller gear transfers caused the first movement to dis-engage each other due to shocks from normal wear etc....but with the larger transfer gear it seems much more stable. Even manual winding feels solid.

Patsanchik

Renowned Member
21/3/15
Canada
No we don't and it seems we will have to wait another week:-(

I'd say quite a lot longer than a week. Somebody with the skills and confidence to pull it apart and examine it will need to place an order for one of these ZFs, wait for delivery, and then find the time to peek inside and report the findings to us. A month would be optimistic in my opinion.