• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rant : What is this "What is your best price?" BS?

ViperGTS

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
1/1/10
everyone has a minimum price. some people offer the minimum right off the bat, some people try to squeeze a few more bucks if they can. thats just the way business works.

im guilty of asking for a lower price, and sometimes if i see something that I think is fairly priced, ill take it.

and then you have lowballers, which in some case can be insulting

repvar

2/4/15
if you don't want to be lowballed with offers, just say the price is firm in your listing.

If you don't say firm...on pretty much any forum that has a sale section, it's implied that the price is negotiable

FredZ

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/8/14
Hmm I disagree. Sold and bought many watches on here and more gens on other sites, never been offended by people asking me that, or asking it myself. It's a genuine question, if somethings on sale and hasn't been sold yet whats the problem in asking if they can go lower.

Indeed, if the watch is still for sale after a few days, it's OK for me... I'd rather have someone asking and coming towards a deal for both parties

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
I've never been offended... haggling is kind of fun. Within reason, of course. Now, I don't mess around if someone says prices are firm. But this is a hobby, guys... lighten up a little.

potex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/4/14
Nothing wrong with bargaining, thats the name of the game when buying something off another person. Asking straight up "whats your best price?" is probably a bit blunt but you can always reply with "whats your best offer?"

AlpineA310

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/11/14
If you don't ask you don't get is my theory. As the customer you are well entitled to ask "what is your best price". If the answer is the advertised price then no harm done. You either choose to pay it or not. If the price comes down then you have only managed to get the price to the level the seller was willing to go to anyway. Again no harm done.

mauricio612

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
4/12/15
By the way, do TD ever give individual discounts if you have been a loyal customer?

Are there ever sales or stock clearance discounts?

Not that I am trying to blame them, but it is quite obvious that they agree on prices as they all sell the same watches at the same prices so I was wondering if you can get a nice deal from time to time.

I anticipate that you will recommend member sales for that but still I am asking...

peterpl

24/7/11
^ Most TDs wont give you a discount for being a loyal customer. I usually use 3 TDs mainly on here and with each one I've spent over $10k each since joining this forum.

No special discounts other than the usual Xmas or New Year promotion codes

Fiveostang

6/11/12
I'm fine with negotiating. I do it all the time. If I have $300 for a watch and there's a watch for $340 I have now problem asking if they'll take $300 people do it to me when I'm selling a watch and I usually work with a buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterpl

24/7/11
LOL..........I dont drive a Lambo.......far from that..........I'm just broke and stupid.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Spending that much on reps is like a guy who drives a five hundred dollar car but spends five thousand on rims and tires.

peterpl

24/7/11
Spending that much on reps is like a guy who drives a five hundred dollar car but spends five thousand on rims and tires.

Hahahaha.........nice analogy. I'm 1000% sure there are guys on here who spend alot more than me. Some AP builds and other mods are crazy expensive. But you know its a hobby so you do it out of enjoyment. I race my car at the track also which is another big dent in my wallet but I keep doing it because I love it.

No wonder I cant afford to have nice lunches and dinners. LOL

Dr. Mike

Renowned Member
7/9/15
Back to the subject, here's something I was thinking about: How many of us have ever been over to Hong Kong to look at the mazes of markets all selling counterfeit goods? Not me.
For those who have, how much do these same watches sell for at those markets? In USD.
How about wholesale from the maker?
My guess, granted, I'm ASS-U-ming, but I'd guess that there's anywhere between 50-100% markup?
Even so, the TDs deserve to make a decent living. I'm all about capitalism. But remember, they do us a HUGE service.
That being said, there's nothing wrong with trying to save a buck.
I haven't haggled with a TD, but in general, at least on major purchases (gen watches, jewelry, cars, houses boats) I've NEVER paid full retail, and will walk away from a purchase before I ever will. Again, that's a part of capitalism.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
Back to the subject, here's something I was thinking about: How many of us have ever been over to Hong Kong to look at the mazes of markets all selling counterfeit goods? Not me.
For those who have, how much do these same watches sell for at those markets? In USD.
How about wholesale from the maker?
My guess, granted, I'm ASS-U-ming, but I'd guess that there's anywhere between 50-100% markup?

HK is rubbish for reps, Guagzhou is where most of our TDs source our reps. Though that doesn't mean you'll find the markets sprawling with latest version Noob, ZF or JF super reps or something, you will need the right connections at the market to get through all the junk, and when you do get your hands on the right reps, the savings aren't that considerably cheaper than the price you'd find from our TDs. Generally speaking, the effort of going to GZ, making the right connections, and finding the reps you want is not worth the savings