• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rant : What is this "What is your best price?" BS?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I know more than one seller has gotten dejected and withdrawn their sale over the sad, lowly practice of low-balling sellers with "What is your best price?" It is as if many buyers think that this is a flea market or bazaar. Well, news for you fellows: the price is the price. It was well calculated. Sellers do not have the same margin as Rolex or Patek: the moderators make sure of that with their eagle eyes. Not everything is negotiable. Do you really need a price reduction of $10 on a $250 watch? Or free shipping? Somehow the "Amazon Prime" mentality has crept into the minds of many here.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
What's the least you'll take for it? :atwitsend:

D

d4m.test

To me a lowball offer and saying what is your least price is a little different. A lowball is shit, but at least they are making an "offer" and doing something, saying what is the lowest you'll take is so stupid. Like anyone will just be like oh well yea I want to give away money, sure! It is basically disrespectful to the seller.

The best is when it is already a super cheap watch, say <$100 and someone hits you with "what is the lowest you'll go"

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
I've had my fair share of low ball offers. It's annoying when you get these 2 min after posting a watch for sale.

Maszie

Known Member
10/10/12
Do you really need a price reduction of $10 on a $250 watch? Or free shipping? Somehow the "Amazon Prime" mentality has crept into the minds of many here.

In my opinion asking for free shipping is perfectly acceptable. It gives the buyer the good feeling that he saved some money and a 4% discount doesn't really hurt the seller. Most people here are able to afford the shipping cost but a small discount always makes a purchase decision easier. I think that's just normal consumer behavior.

flieger123

Renowned Member
7/2/13
Hmm I disagree. Sold and bought many watches on here and more gens on other sites, never been offended by people asking me that, or asking it myself. It's a genuine question, if somethings on sale and hasn't been sold yet whats the problem in asking if they can go lower.

OmegaRules

Renowned Member
25/6/15
From my perspective it really comes down to the seller's mindset and everyone is different. I tend to try and sell anything I choose to part with for what I feel is a fair deal overall and prefer to do so to create competition for it, thus obtaining what it is your seeking. A fair price on something you chose to part with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for a discount.

That's how business works in many cultures....remember that this is an international forum.

In fact, in some counties it is considered arrogant/snobbish NOT to ask for discount. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
My best price is as much a buyer is willing to pay. Jokes aside I can't remember ever not taking less than asking price if the buyer counters my asking price with that said I may come back with counter if I feel it's a bit lower than I am comfortable with on straps if the buyer says would ya take x amount for it 98 out of 100 times I say yes right away as those seem to move slower than watches. Of course if a buyer just says hey I'll take it with out some haggling then it's sold as such I expect it so it doesn't bother me.

sent from my Samsung S6 Edge +

Dusk

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/14
Gulf Coast of Florida
You're selling a replica of a $5k watch. Getting teary eyed by low offers smacks of hypocrisy just think how rolex must feel. I'd just accept it as a part of the game mate

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I don't agree. If your selling something you'd better be open to all kinds of offers, doesn't mean you have to accept them, or like them but that's just how it goes. When your a seller your asking price is just that. If you won't take less then state that in your sale by saying price is firm or non negotiable, if you don't then you'd better be prepared to get all kinds of offers. If you dont like the offer then just Fing ignore them. Your selling a rep, there's is no held value or expected value of a rep, that's bullshit.

afdaddy

Renowned Member
13/12/13
Offers are fine, as long as you use some common sense -- don't message a seller the same day it's posted and ask for a discount, if it's been up 4-5 days and nothing, then sure, but 45 min after posting is dumb.

I say inform folks that if they low ball you, you'll ignore and if you do end up dropping price, you won't consider an offer from anyone that lobbed in a lowball.

After that, get some thicker skin.....

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
My lowest price is what I accept for it. I let lowballers know that I will pass on their offer and they always go away.

The same discussion pops up on the gens forums, by the way.

Maybe I'm a chump, but I tend to respect the seller's listing and my judgement for contacting the seller, based on my research of the market price.

To offer half of the listed price, expecting the seller to meet me in the middle? Nah. Not my style (I think it's not a US tendency.) As a seller or a buyer. Haggling is tedious and I have other things to do.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Haggling is the norm isn't it? I only offer full priced offers to threads which the seller has a solid reputation or it's already priced fairly. It's those people who sell a 'mint' watch at the same prices of TDs which irk me when I'm taking the same risk and can get a lower price on wholesale.

i always price a risk-premium on m2m, that's how it is.

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Seriously??? [emoji15]
How about "what is your best price, pretty please?"[emoji57] Haggling is a time honored part of the buy/sell dance, even in modern society. It's still your prerogative to refuse a counteroffer. If you get many "best price" inquiries, it may be a good indicator that you're pricing yourself out of the market.

Erock1

20/3/13
I don't agree. If your selling something you'd better be open to all kinds of offers, doesn't mean you have to accept them, or like them but that's just how it goes. When your a seller your asking price is just that. If you won't take less then state that in your sale by saying price is firm or non negotiable, if you don't then you'd better be prepared to get all kinds of offers. If you dont like the offer then just Fing ignore them. Your selling a rep, there's is no held value or expected value of a rep, that's bullshit.
+1 here and for that matter anywhere.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Seriously??? [emoji15]
How about "what is your best price, pretty please?"[emoji57] Haggling is a time honored part of the buy/sell dance, even in modern society. It's still your prerogative to refuse a counteroffer. If you get many "best price" inquiries, it may be a good indicator that you're pricing yourself out of the market.

Yeah, seriously.

A lowball offer is not necessarily an indication of a high listing price. It is probably an indication of a seller who was raised in a haggling culture, however, and I was not. Hence my lack of interest in the process. My prerogative, as you say.

Jaybo

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/13
For me I am not annoyed whatsoever when a potential buyer sends me a reasonable offer. I expect it and I often do the same when purchasing an item in a M2M sale. On the flip side, it annoys the piss out of me when they do not make an offer at all and instead immediately ask "what is your best price?" If you want to negotiate with me then you need to gather some balls and present me with a proposition.

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Yeah, seriously.

A lowball offer is not necessarily an indication of a high listing price. It is probably an indication of a seller who was raised in a haggling culture, however, and I was not. Hence my lack of interest in the process. My prerogative, as you say.

Seems you're taking this rather personally. My post was not even directed at you nor was I remotely interested in yours.