• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rant : What is this "What is your best price?" BS?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I see the argument can be turned every which way, so here is one turn:
Why doesn't the prospective buyer grow a "thick skin" and write:
"PMed with intent (to offer a ridiculously low price because I am from a haggling culture and it is normal)."

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
^^ or buyer could PM and say:

"PM'd with intent (to offer higher than asking price, on a finance basis, because I am from a credit culture and it is normal paying more for shit I can't afford). Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
24/7/11
don't worry too much. We are dealing with replica's here and all from asia. Asia is a culture where you need to negotiate a business deal. No-one ever pays asking price in Asia.

If someone low balls just reply sorry thats too low. What's more annoying is someone saying "I'll take it" then disappear, whilst there are like 3-4 other guys inline. I usually give someone a few hours to pay otherwise its on to the next guy waiting.

Riccochet

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/11/15
My take. If its coming from a dealer/online shop I expect to pay what the price is listed as. Unless the dealer/shop is having a promotion, like Puretime.

If it's someone personally selling something, well, the price IS negotiable, unless otherwise listed. In the world of Craigslist it is what it is. I've sold a lot on Craigslist. Lets say I want to get $150 for something, I'll list it at $175. If someone pays me $175, bonus for me! If they start negotiating then I'll come down to $150, which is what I wanted anyways and the buyer feels like they are getting a deal.

Cat and mouse.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Not everything is negotiable. .

A stipulation of 'price is non-negotiable' can be stated in the listing but that might not always deter some. Generally if a watch does not sell within a week or so the seller will gradually drop the price. But a skin flint haggler is impatient, they want the price drop immediately.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
First off, the sellers on this site are not dealers operating a rep watch booth at Ma Boon Khrong center in Bangkok or the watch markets in Guangzhou. We are not allowed to top up our prices by 30-50% anticipating a negotiation round with some savvy tourists so that we have room to drop our price. The sales moderators do not allow it. Nor are we Rolex making $900 Submariners and listing them for $7,000. To transport the mentality of "MBK shopper" or "Guangzhou" shopper to this site does not seem to fit at all. Nor does the mentality of the gen shopper fit at all expecting the standard 10-15% discount from an AD and little perks like some polishing clothe or a free strap or a genuine box and documents, etc.
What really aggravates me are the people who post on a sales thread "PMed with strong intent" and then try low-balling the seller. Other interested buyers think in the meantime when they see that post, "Whoah, that guy is serious, this watch is sold" and go on to another thread. Then, by the time the seller gets back to the thread to say the watch is still for sale, lots of people are gone for good.
The ultimate scoundrel is the guy who says "I will take it" and when you send PP info and payment instructions, you never hear from them again. It gets even worse when the guy delays, and begs for you to just hold it for him until a later date ("next payday", "until I sell my Omega on another forum", "until my parents give me next semester's tuition money", etc.) and then you never hear from him again. They even give you their address for quick despatching when the payment comes through and nothing happens. I have had watches and straps packed up for dispatch with people's names and addresses on them for weeks on end who I have never received payment from and never heard from again. It is a joke.

Riccochet

24/11/15
Then don't hold things for people?

Seriously, money talks, b.s. waits for the next deal. If someone doesn't have the money to buy it now, then the next person with money now gets it.

You're essentially complaining about situations you put yourself in.

If you don't want to hold product for someone until they get the money then tell them. "I'm not willing to hold it for X amount of days, but if it's still available when you have the money to purchase I'll gladly sell it to you. Otherwise, it's still available for anyone to purchase".

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Hmm I disagree. Sold and bought many watches on here and more gens on other sites, never been offended by people asking me that, or asking it myself. It's a genuine question, if somethings on sale and hasn't been sold yet whats the problem in asking if they can go lower.

I completely agree. When I'm buying a watch, I ask for a small discount trying not to lowball anyone. Worst he can say is no and then I'll see if it's worth it for me. Same thing happens when I'm a seller, I almost always get those questions. Sometimes I'm firm on the price, sometimes I'll lower the price for $10-20 and buyer will easier pull the trigger in that case.

dmrusoff

Horology Curious
4/11/15
It's called making a market, if there is demand the offers gotta start somewhere and then the bids can rise. If not for this, there would be no market and there would be no trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazza

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/15
In the COURTHOUSE!!
If you know the value of what you are selling then the price doesn't change. Those desperate for the money make the sale no matter.
All my salesmen have the right to lower our software prices but at their quarterly review they need to explain to me why my software isn't as valuable any more!

mattyd

I'm Pretty Popular
30/12/09
I know more than one seller has gotten dejected and withdrawn their sale over the sad, lowly practice of low-balling sellers with "What is your best price?" It is as if many buyers think that this is a flea market or bazaar. Well, news for you fellows: the price is the price. It was well calculated. Sellers do not have the same margin as Rolex or Patek: the moderators make sure of that with their eagle eyes. Not everything is negotiable. Do you really need a price reduction of $10 on a $250 watch? Or free shipping? Somehow the "Amazon Prime" mentality has crept into the minds of many here.

Okay, don't sell to them. Make life easier.

ElVino

Renowned Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
1/7/11
I'll simply say that I've never had any issues with anyone offering me less than I requested for something. If someone isn't willing to offer me what I would like then all it takes is for me to say no thank you. I'm not 5 years old. It's time to grow up and accept that people aren't always willing to pay you what you want and that's the way things work. As mentioned before the haggle is something that most of the world revolves around including the largest businesses on the planet.

TitleistRolex

Renowned Member
8/12/15
CONUS
I know more than one seller has gotten dejected and withdrawn their sale over the sad, lowly practice of low-balling sellers with "What is your best price?" It is as if many buyers think that this is a flea market or bazaar. Well, news for you fellows: the price is the price. It was well calculated. Sellers do not have the same margin as Rolex or Patek: the moderators make sure of that with their eagle eyes. Not everything is negotiable. Do you really need a price reduction of $10 on a $250 watch? Or free shipping? Somehow the "Amazon Prime" mentality has crept into the minds of many here.
LOL

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
Is there something wrong with an "offer"?

True "lowball" offers aside...

I want to get the best deal I can make...if you don't like it ...say so.

I've made some good buys by "asking".

Riccochet

24/11/15
I "well calculate" that I expect people want a deal. So I "well calculate" a price that is a few points higher than I expect to actually get. The buyer feels like they are getting a deal by me knocking off some money down to what I expected to get in the first place. Win/Win if you ask me.

Real low ball offers are simply ignored. Like "hey, I'll give you $100 for that $500 {insert item name here}".

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Personally, I'm a highball buyer. If you are selling a watch and asking $450.00, I'll give you $500 no questions asked. If you refuse that deal then I offer you $600 take it or leave it. :w00t:

DocHolliday

Huckleberry Sales Mod
Advisor
11/2/15
I've found that that 9/10 times I always get my selling price. However, I seem to look for the pieces that always go quickly so turnaround is usually pretty quick due to the fact I'm a habitual flipper except for a couple pieces, and a few I let friends borrow. It also helps when RWI buddies see it and say "It's mine" :)

Pannyforme

Renowned Member
27/8/08
I'll simply say that I've never had any issues with anyone offering me less than I requested for something. If someone isn't willing to offer me what I would like then all it takes is for me to say no thank you. I'm not 5 years old. It's time to grow up and accept that people aren't always willing to pay you what you want and that's the way things work. As mentioned before the haggle is something that most of the world revolves around including the largest businesses on the planet.

couldnt agree more mate