• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Portuguese 7 days

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
^ Are yours all running on a winder 24/7? If not I recommend you run all of them for a period of at least 1 month non stop to ensure you dont have a false conception of a properly working movement because 50% of the times its in the box. Just my 2c. Otherwise it might be past warranty period before you notice mate.

Movements should last years not few weeks.

I bought a Lebron James about 2 months ago and its been on my winder ever since 24 by 7. AP Sec@12 and keeps perfect time. I am satisfied with that.

I understand how the game works been here long enough. I had a stroke of bad luck once with sec@12 movements as well - but all the newer ones seem quite good. Not so sure about this new movement though.

ianm

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/10
I have officially given up trying to buy the 5001 Laureus from the TD's for the time being. I have now rejected 5 watches from two dealers due mostly to crooked markers. Each one had a misaligned "1" in the "10" marker that was not even close to acceptable. I know it is a relatively easy fix, but I refuse to spend $400 just to have to send it off to be corrected, along with the time and inconvenience. I hope the factory will improve it's quality in the future, as I really like the Laureus.

rhc22

26/11/11
^ Are yours all running on a winder 24/7? If not I recommend you run all of them for a period of at least 1 month non stop to ensure you dont have a false conception of a properly working movement because 50% of the times its in the box. Just my 2c. Otherwise it might be past warranty period before you notice mate.

Movements should last years not few weeks.

I bought a Lebron James about 2 months ago and its been on my winder ever since 24 by 7. AP Sec@12 and keeps perfect time. I am satisfied with that.

I understand how the game works been here long enough. I had a stroke of bad luck once with sec@12 movements as well - but all the newer ones seem quite good. Not so sure about this new movement though.

You really have had some bad luck. So far I have three and all of them have been running pretty much constantly since I got them. The first one I got when they were first releashed was around the begining of October. I don't put them on the winder as that is for the gens but just give them a manual wind every couple of days. When I wear any of them the power reserve climbs. It will be such a shame if the movement turns out to be a 'timebomb'.
From my experience, so far, the movement is fine. The truth is it looks well made and not like the lash up of the IWC secs @ 6 movements.
The thing that holds me back from buying another is the date wheel printing, when that is fixed then I will be getting the black and maybe a Laureus.

Time will tell I suppose!

peterpl

24/7/11
^ Yep hard to tell if its not constantly being used. It would be good to see if everyone who has a winder can put it on there so its constantly working and winding. See how it goes over a period of continuous use 24/7 for say 1 or 2 months. Its very unlucky for me to have 2 break on me - if it is indeed just my unlucky self.

I'm not so convinced until we further wait its stability. I was one of the first ones to purchase as well which was a white and gold, then I purchased the Laureus as soon as it came out also which hasnt been long at all.

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
Sorry for you, peterpl. It's really a pain in the ass. But even if I had a winder, I wouldnt let it work 24/7...because it's a chinese movement, after all. Therefore, mine is mostly in the box, with the crown pulled out. I wear it only on special occasions.

theflyingdutchman

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Sorry for you, peterpl. It's really a pain in the ass. But even if I had a winder, I wouldnt let it work 24/7...because it's a chinese movement, after all. Therefore, mine is mostly in the box, with the crown pulled out. I wear it only on special occasions.

Well it is my daily beater since 2 weeks... all is very well here! No rotor or crown issue.... or should I say: "no issue yet"?

Snipster22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/11/14
Please can you explain how it is an easy fix? and who could assist? Have a "4" marker that needs moving very slightly

Ruski91

12/10/12
I only saw one marker on mine that was ever so slightly missaligned - #5. after consideration, i decided i could live with it. Here was my qc again for anyone interested.

5001%252520-%252520Ardoise1.jpg
5001%252520-%252520Ardoise2.jpg

Azel

Renowned Member
Supporter
10/7/14
I would have accepted it too Ruski, honestly the #5 is not that bad and you won't even notice when it will be on your wrist.

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
I would have not accepted it. Now you will always stare at that 5. It's more obvious on the second picture. Your TD could have easily found you a better one.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
OK back goes my SECOND IWC 7 days. Now my Laureus doesnt autowind. I can wind it manually but when I wear it or on the winder it doesnt wind at all. It used to wind perfectly on both - hence my previous post. Arrrghghhh I'm really getting sick of this movement already.

I just emailed Ryan. Haven't got my first one back even yet from repair - I wont be buying anymore watches with this movement anytime soon.

AP Sec@12 is a lot more stable than this movement I think.

Sounds like the rotor might not be turning. I had a similar problem with my Noob 2014 AP Safari. The clearance between the caseback xtal and rotor was so small that if caseback fully tightened down it touched the rotor stopping it moving.

My 5001 is now a month old and still running nicely. Haven't put it on my winder as I wear it frequently enough that the PR lasts enough in between alternating with my other watches.

peterpl

24/7/11
^ Its not the rotor. I've checked already and even with the caseback open and the rotor spinning freely it doesnt wind at all. Manually winding by the crown works though.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
^ Its not the rotor. I've checked already and even with the caseback open and the rotor spinning freely it doesnt wind at all. Manually winding by the crown works though.

Oh right. That is strange. Does the rotor move when you wind it? If it did it would suggest the clutch wheels have failed, but that would mean there's a danger of it over winding and that's obviously not the case. A bit stumped on this. Only a tear down will reveal the problem.

henrychinaski

19/2/15
Tried to trawl through ALL 294 pages of this thread to find the info but boy...it's hard!

I just bought one of these bad boys and I'm wondering where you guys sourced your straps from? Either Gen or good croc straps... The first thing i'll do when it arrives will be to replace the rep strap!

SOKN

Known Member
15/7/15
Received my ZF IWC yesterday! Damn, this is for sure one good looking watch.
c9953fc5977810c52b595ed3d78767ca.jpg

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Snipster22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/11/14
Need to send it to an EU modder to straighten it up.

Cheers mate - am a newbie....could someone point me in the right direction of a couple of reliable EU modders so I can contact them directly?

BuddhistGirafe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/13
Tried to trawl through ALL 294 pages of this thread to find the info but boy...it's hard!

I just bought one of these bad boys and I'm wondering where you guys sourced your straps from? Either Gen or good croc straps... The first thing i'll do when it arrives will be to replace the rep strap!
Gens are Kauffmans and run around $300 if eBay is any indication. Orloff makes absolutely fantastic straps (I have one on the way) and then some other guys have ordered them from VNHandcraft on eBay.

What dial color did you order ?

Sent from my Deco Stop

rhc22

26/11/11
Oh right. That is strange. Does the rotor move when you wind it? If it did it would suggest the clutch wheels have failed, but that would mean there's a danger of it over winding and that's obviously not the case. A bit stumped on this. Only a tear down will reveal the problem.

Sounds like it could well be the problem. I put one of mine on the winder last night and it increased the power reserve as it does when wearing it.
I don't intend to leave it on the winder as it is easy to set when I want to wear it.
As is well known the original gen movement was susceptible to wear (over a much longer period) and that is why some of the internals were changed to ceramic.