• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch for my student son?

umaso

Renowned Member
28/6/14
how about a sistem51? I really love the new ones (especially the cream one).

Or is he going to just want an apple watch later this month?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
A rep IWC ingenieur on rubber sounds like it would be idea for him (he's an engineer after something quite rugged)...but it 300-400.

80bc3eef9fac70a8b4c5231255ab49bc.jpg

Plastiker

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
5/12/14
Monaco do Bavaria
I own a Junghans, with my parents got me for my graduation. I only now it was about 150-200 €, but there you have quality. I would not purchase a cheap replica for under 100$. Most of them are not holding too long without the proper background knowledge about cheapies.

Go with your son in a big mall and try a few watches... There are plenty good watches out there for little money. And when he graduates he gets the real deal:)

Good luck buying!

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
I think it depends on wrist size as well right? If he has massive 8" wrists then a Milgaus is gonna look too small...I would go for an IWC Top Gun or a 3777 Pilot. you can pick either of those up for about $100.

Xswapper5

Renowned Member
Supporter
6/3/14
Texas
Def put my vote in for a nice gshock. Great college/sport watch that will actually last him a long time

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11
Def put my vote in for a nice gshock. Great college/sport watch that will actually last him a long time

The only problem with that is the Gshock is some sort of polycarbonate. When you're working on cars your wrist smacks around a bunch, and the polycarbonate will lose against the metal. Additionally, a lot of solvents used for automobiles would likely dissolve the polycarbonate, leaving burn like pits or at least discoloration.

However, I don't own a Gshock, so if I'm wrong let me know.

revhrd

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/2/11
+1 on the monster/seiko 5 option. It will draw less attention and a lesser temptation from peers trying to steal it. Alphas or other homages are good as well, hell I would even consider an invicta sub homage as well. But if you are intent on a rep, I would suggest going for a non flashy watch that he can pull off, these suggestions of a breitling are not the right ones unless it's the divers and not the flashier chrono models. I have seen quartz tags that are also gen quartz so that may be an option. A quartz older seamaster would also match the gen.

I think though that function is more important than form at this stage in his life.

Post your final choice and pics if you are able to. :)

Xswapper5

Renowned Member
Supporter
6/3/14
Texas
The only problem with that is the Gshock is some sort of polycarbonate. When you're working on cars your wrist smacks around a bunch, and the polycarbonate will lose against the metal. Additionally, a lot of solvents used for automobiles would likely dissolve the polycarbonate, leaving burn like pits or at least discoloration.

However, I don't own a Gshock, so if I'm wrong let me know.
I'm no expert on solvents so that could be true but as far as bumping it into metal objects I tend to think that the polycarbonate would fair better than a cheap asian movement against hard knocks

SteveSS

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/2/14
I talked to him last night and too many of friends have the G Shock. He doesn't want a "me too." We both have medium size wrists. He really liked my Noob Omega. Are the 21J's lasting more than a few months? Yes this will be his only watch. Working on cars I usually take mine off then forget where I put it.

He drives a big lifted Dodge Ram 4x4 and we have a lot of muscle cars.

tanweekiat

I'm Pretty Popular
26/3/12
I talked to him last night and too many of friends have the G Shock. He doesn't want a "me too." We both have medium size wrists. He really liked my Noob Omega. Are the 21J's lasting more than a few months? Yes this will be his only watch. Working on cars I usually take mine off then forget where I put it.

Get that man a Pam

idinwo01

I'm Pretty Popular
20/4/11

Pretty sure the 21js are holding up for years, and a super easy swap out if they ever die

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

Youre wrong.....once he gets a rep, it wont be his only watch !

got some pics of the muscle cars?

SteveSS

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/2/14
I've still haven't figured out the pic thing yet. I will show him a Pam.
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 silver
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T 408 SubLime green
1971 Dodge Charger 383 Hemi Orange
1997 Camaro SS 5.7 Red.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I've still haven't figured out the pic thing yet. I will show him a Pam.
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 silver
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T 408 SubLime green
1971 Dodge Charger 383 Hemi Orange
1997 Camaro SS 5.7 Red.

Well you gotta get if figgured out now cause i wanna see BAD.
Those are some sweet rides there !

You can host the image on like photobucket or imgur (which I use)
and post the links.
or wrap the links like this [IMG%]yourlinkhere[/IMG%] without the % in it (i put the % in it so it wouldnt become a real link and get hidden) to embed the link

D

d4m.test

a nice old beater 21j Cartel Tudor Oyster prince from Supermirrors or from Kuvarsit a quartz, maybe the Tudor Heritage chrono grey or blue
Tudor%20OP_1634c_zpsoirp9dj6.jpg