• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Opinions on pam438

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
Hi guys. I'm saving up for a Pam 438 but before I spend the +500 on this ceramic rep anybody have opinions about it? Ceramic because my Ti scratches too easily and I hate cleaning the SS throughout the day.
What is the longevity of the a7750 movement. Will it run 3-5 without service. Any owners of this rep out there please chime your input. Thanks

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
The A7750 movement without the chrono function and the second at 9 is a very reliable movement. But 3-5 years daily use without a service? I don't know.
The ceramic is very nice and extremely scratch resistant.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Cheesemonger

I'm Pretty Popular
23/11/13
It's a great piece, but I would get it serviced. Ceramic holds up well imo.

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
Thanks guys, I'm hoping to get the pam438, remove the metal bracelet and install dark brown strap. The metal bracelet no my cup of tea

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
The auto movement is a bonus. In case when I forget to wind the watch is not dead

Well, the power reserve is limited so that's only good for a day or two. But you can still just pick it up, do a little shake and it will run. Just remember to re-adjust the time. :D

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
Thanks guys, I'm hoping to get the pam438, remove the metal bracelet and install dark brown strap. The metal bracelet no my cup of tea

If you get one with a metal bracelet, you bought the wrong watch. If you don't want the ceramic bracelet, why not buy the ceramic 441 with a seagull movement? Same watch but on asso and less than $300! Awesome buy!

Crazivi3tdude

17/2/15
If you get one with a metal bracelet, you bought the wrong watch. If you don't want the ceramic bracelet, why not buy the ceramic 441 with a seagull movement? Same watch but on asso and less than $300! Awesome buy!

Please share me a link to find such watch <$300 That would be a nice price point

droberts

Renowned Member
17/12/14
It is. Made by the same maker as that 438 only with the Seagull Movement instead of the 7750. See I want the ceramic bracelet but not the 7750. I hope they make the 438 with Seagull Movement soon.

droberts

Renowned Member
17/12/14
They are a little more reliable and they are actually cheaper. The 7750 in PAMS are not so bad as the are seconds at 9. The AP and such with Chronos and seconds at 6 are a lot more likely to have problems. If given the choice between a Seagull and a 7750 for a given model I would always choose the Seagull.

Frikman

Known Member
29/10/14
I bought a PAM438 in the first week that it was out and it's still going strong and looks brand new. The ceramic is amazing. I've scraped it against many things and each time the other surface comes off worse! Of all 3 my reps the Tuttonero holds the best time.

Only problem I have is I am still sitting with the short hands and the bad CP. Do you guys think a TD would sell me just the updated hands and would a watchsmith be able to fit them for me? Or is that too much hassle and should I just M2M flip it and buy a new one?

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
A7750 is just as good but the seagull is just cheaper.

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
I bought a PAM438 in the first week that it was out and it's still going strong and looks brand new. The ceramic is amazing. I've scraped it against many things and each time the other surface comes off worse! Of all 3 my reps the Tuttonero holds the best time.

Only problem I have is I am still sitting with the short hands and the bad CP. Do you guys think a TD would sell me just the updated hands and would a watchsmith be able to fit them for me? Or is that too much hassle and should I just M2M flip it and buy a new one?

You can get hands but it's quite a painful, slow process I've found.

bro708

Known Member
21/2/15
I'm planning on grabbing one of these at some point in the future. According to this post from PeterRei there's a version available with a Seagull movement in it too which might be worth a look if reliability is a concern, if other models like the 441 are anything to go by it'll probably be a bit cheaper than the A7750 version too...

bro708

Known Member
21/2/15
It is. Made by the same maker as that 438 only with the Seagull Movement instead of the 7750. See I want the ceramic bracelet but not the 7750. I hope they make the 438 with Seagull Movement soon.

See my other post here ^^^^ for a link to a comment from PeterRei suggesting a Seagull version of this watch is already available. Personally I can't justify buying another watch just now (already bought 2 watches, 3 straps, 2 buckles and a service this month) so haven't enquired further but may be worth asking him if you're ready to go...

paramol

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/2/15
I'm planning on grabbing one of these at some point in the future. According to this post from PeterRei there's a version available with a Seagull movement in it too which might be worth a look if reliability is a concern, if other models like the 441 are anything to go by it'll probably be a bit cheaper than the A7750 version too...

I'm pretty sure PeterRei was referring to the availability of a Seagull movement with a GMT function, and not a 438 with the Seagull movement.

I tried asking one of the Dealers if a 438 with the Seagull movement would be available. Either he said no, or he misunderstood my question and thought I was asking about swapping parts (language barriers).