• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do All Mech. Chronographs with the Seconds at 6 have a inherent design flaw?

whoknows

13/9/13
Asking a general question which has been asked before I am sure.

But, from my research here on RWI chrono REP's have a bad reputation when they have the seconds at the six position.

While the quartz REP's seem to be OK. Is this a accurate assumption?

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
It's the A7750 automatic chronograph movement with seconds at 6 o'clock that's potentially unreliable.

This is because the movement is made in the seconds @ 9 position configuration. To transfer the seconds to an alternative configuration (ie. sec@12, sec@3 or sec@6) requires extra gears. Not all of these gears, or rather, not all the required gears are jeweled (that's why you'll hear people getting a 'jewel mod' for their reps), and as such create extra friction and wear and tear on those particular gears, coupled with at times, lackluster quality control in the assembly of these movements, you can see why that configuration on the A7750 can be at times unreliable.

Quartz and 21J don't apply, as there are movements that are made with the sec@6 configuration.

whoknows

13/9/13
Great answer zero, very informative.

So, am I correct in assuming from your answer that a mechanical watch with the A7750 movement and the seconds at 9:00 is a reliable configuration in a REP.

Does your answer apply to the A7753 movement as well. The reason I ask, I purchased a PAM 162F from TORO and it has the seconds at the 9:00 position and I worry that it may be a ticking time bomb so to speak

Kleen

I'm Pretty Popular
13/3/13
So how does the 7753 differ from the 7750 if not by the native positioning of the subdial...?

zero_deficit

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/12
So how does the 7753 differ from the 7750 if not by the native positioning of the subdial...?

7753 has quick date change pusher @4 and non-recessed date wheel
7750 has date change within the crown and recessed date wheel

sanankid

I'm Pretty Popular
18/6/11
I wouldn't touch a rep w sec @ 6 non quartz because it will have issues if you use it eventually.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
It's the A7750 automatic chronograph movement with seconds at 6 o'clock that's potentially unreliable.

This is because the movement is made in the seconds @ 9 position configuration. To transfer the seconds to an alternative configuration (ie. sec@12, sec@3 or sec@6) requires extra gears. Not all of these gears, or rather, not all the required gears are jeweled (that's why you'll hear people getting a 'jewel mod' for their reps), and as such create extra friction and wear and tear on those particular gears, coupled with at times, lackluster quality control in the assembly of these movements, you can see why that configuration on the A7750 can be at times unreliable..

That is a great answer and one that everyone should consider when buying a chrono with this movement.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Luth just looking for rep points also........