• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Waterproofing Rolex Explorer 36mm

acer8000

Known Member
21/3/12
Hi guys

I have a Rolex Explorer 36mm from Trevor. I would like to have it waterproofed and would like to be able to swim with it regularly in chlorine pool water, salt ocean water, and also be able to dive to 10ft occasionally.

Does anyone have past experience with waterproofing a Explorer and recommend any specific watchmaker? I would highly prefer for a USA watchmaker.

Also does anyone know of a TD, that has a very good copy of the Explorer I 39mm version? I am looking for one that has a good BLUE lume (similar to gen) with a nonclumpy texture on the markers.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Waterproofing reps can be a challenge. First you need to seal the crystal to the case. A bead of G&S crystal cement at the base of the crystal would be good and then press on the bezel w/ a crystal press. Or you could try silicone around the base. Next is the crown and tube- glue the tube in and lube the crown gaskets w/ silicone. Finally, lube the caseback gasket w/ silicone and tighten the caseback. Then you're ready for a pressure test. If you make 3-4 atms you're good to go.

dlc.nla

23/8/11
Waterproofing reps can be a challenge. First you need to seal the crystal to the case. A bead of G&S crystal cement at the base of the crystal would be good and then press on the bezel w/ a crystal press. Or you could try silicone around the base. Next is the crown and tube- glue the tube in and lube the crown gaskets w/ silicone. Finally, lube the caseback gasket w/ silicone and tighten the caseback. Then you're ready for a pressure test. If you make 3-4 atms you're good to go.

Alligoat has given you a great explanation of a very thorough waterproof.
I have never gone as extreme as sealing/pressing the crystal & bezel, but Alli's way is the safest I'm sure.

All I do is every 6 month's I grease the crown gaskets & caseback gasket, tighten the caseback, & (not for the Explorer I) seal the HEV with epoxy. I've never had any issues @ all, & I dive to 12 feet in the pool every weekend. Maybe I'm just more carefree than others though...

Now if you're looking for a good watchsmith to do a very thorough job for you, I'd personally recommend CLS out of Cali. Not sure if he's trusted here @ RWI, but he is very much so on RG & RWG.
Here's his website
http://www.clswatch.info/CLS/home.html

Good luck & let us know if you need anymore help ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

acer8000

Known Member
21/3/12
Thank you very much!
I will certainly contact him regarding the waterproof service I need!

If anyone else has any other watchmaker recommendations please let me know as well.

Alligoat has given you a great explanation of a very thorough waterproof.
I have never gone as extreme as sealing/pressing the crystal & bezel, but Alli's way is the safest I'm sure.

All I do is every 6 month's I grease the crown gaskets & caseback gasket, tighten the caseback, & (not for the Explorer I) seal the HEV with epoxy. I've never had any issues @ all, & I dive to 12 feet in the pool every weekend. Maybe I'm just more carefree than others though...

Now if you're looking for a good watchsmith to do a very thorough job for you, I'd personally recommend CLS out of Cali. Not sure if he's trusted here @ RWI, but he is very much so on RG & RWG.
Here's his website
http://www.clswatch.info/CLS/home.html

Good luck & let us know if you need anymore help ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2