• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Right To Bear Arms

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
+100 on this, it is what I thought Luther meant!

The problem is guns getting into the hands of psychos. It's not just a mental health problem. It's both a gun problem and a mental health problem. The two are married and joined at the hip.

Well I thought, maybe wrongly, that Luthier and many others here seem to believe that guns and their ownership shouldn't be infringed upon in any way because of the 2nd Amendment. That seems to be the recurring theme of the pro gun folks here. My point is there certainly should be restrictions on both types of guns and in particular, who should be allowed to own them. With that comes background checks which is another point of contention that the pro gun lobby will fight to the death over. Without background checks psychos will always have guns. Probably in a higher percentage than the general public.

The way he stated it just didn't sound right to me.

mzcool

I'm Pretty Popular
2/6/13
The problem is guns getting into the hands of psychos. It's not just a mental health problem. It's both a gun problem and a mental health problem. The two are married and joined at the hip.

Well I thought, maybe wrongly, that Luthier and many others here seem to believe that guns and their ownership shouldn't be infringed upon in any way because of the 2nd Amendment. That seems to be the recurring theme of the pro gun folks here. My point is there certainly should be restrictions on both types of guns and in particular, who should be allowed to own them. With that comes background checks which is another point of contention that the pro gun lobby will fight to the death over. Without background checks psychos will always have guns. Probably in a higher percentage than the general public.

I agree with this. Guns are going to get into the hands of psychos without advanced background checks. It happened in the Navy Yard shooting, the shooter was documented as unstable, and it happened with the VA Tech shooter who was on the record as having serious psychological issues, yet he was able to buy multiple weapons legally.

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
Does anyone here believe that laws like the patriot act infringe on their civil rights?

If so, do you believe that the infringement of those rights are necessary for the protection of the the people of this country?

Sent from my rotary phone

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
The Patriot Act is much more of an infringement on our rights than the proper licensing and use of firearms. As is the NSA's rather uncontrolled spying on American citizens.

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
The Patriot Act is much more of an infringement on our rights than the proper licensing and use of firearms. As is the NSA's rather uncontrolled spying on American citizens.

Some might say its not much more. Or rather, which one is more of an infringement is subjective.

Sent from my rotary phone

Phil G

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
Here's an example of a gun owner who got it wrong. Maybe he was frightened, lived in a bad area.

Detroit-area man charged with murder in woman's porch death

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/15/j...arges/index.html?sr=fb111513detroitdeath1145p

While I agree the American NRA may not get it all right, they're better than no representation.

We have an NRA in the UK, they were next to useless back in '97 when we pistol shooters needed support. Prior to the handgun reclassification we pistol shooters were 'tolerated' by our NRA if we kept our place.

We have other fragmented shooting bodies but back then they refused to join together to oppose any ban on handguns.

I have for many years been a member of the American NRA to support your rights to arms.

Good luck, Phil
52ae6047-7715-4261-a921-dac4c7c0a402_zpsa9811a13.jpg

Luthier

30/9/09

Mate, seems you didn't read my posts AT ALL, and it's an insult to me.
:D
As I said millions times before - WE DEFINITELY NEED MORE STRICT GUN CONTROL. Absofrekinglutely. No any mentally sick person should be allowed to put his hands on any weapon, PERIOD. No sales on gun shows, it's a loophole.
Second Amendment should not be infringed in a whole, but again - strong control is a necessity. 90% of mass shootings committed by psychos, nobody would argue with it, right? So, when I go to buy a gun, I must pass the test by certified psychiatrist, and police should check my background (by the way, in CA we have 2 weeks time between you buy a gun, and the time you get your gun, police checking your background). I also would vote for control shot from every gun and police should keep the picture of your barrel's pattern. Then you'll not be able to say - It wasn't my gun. But I'm absolutely FOR easy CCW to sane and law abiding people. Again - even psycho will understand, that he'll be shot in the spot, if he'd pull out his gun in public place. Oh, and mandatory training of ALL guns owners is a necessity too. Training, how to act in extreme situation.
B., go back, and read my posts again, if you still didn't get it.
:p

Luthier

30/9/09
Here's an example of a gun owner who got it wrong. Maybe he was frightened, lived in a bad area.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/15/justice/michigan-woman-shot-charges/index?sr=fb111513detroitdeath1145p

While I agree the American NRA may not get it all right, they're better than no representation.

We have an NRA in the UK, they were next to useless back in '97 when we pistol shooters needed support. Prior to the handgun reclassification we pistol shooters were 'tolerated' by our NRA if we kept our place.

We have other fragmented shooting bodies but back then they refused to join together to oppose any ban on handguns.

I have for many years been a member of the American NRA to support your rights to arms.

Good luck, Phil
Phil, it was just a murder, and I hope this moron will get death penalty or life in prison.
For supporting our rights - KUDOS TO YOU, MATE!!!
I would vouch for your US Green Card.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/15/j...arges/index.html?sr=fb111513detroitdeath1145p

Good luck, Phil
52ae6047-7715-4261-a921-dac4c7c0a402_zpsa9811a13.jpg

Phil, I was 17 when the handgun reclassification happened and had only just started shooting Practical Pistol, so only really remember it in terms of the reaction of other club members.

What stands out to me was that the UK NRA simply didn't seem to think anything would happen until it was too late, and the majority of shooters felt the same way. I remember people being amazed that they were actually going to have to hand their guns in.

I'm not sure how active you still are as a shooter, however, it is my impression that the organisations are much more 'aligned' now and savvy to potential threats. The NSRA have actually managed to elicit retractions of articles in The Sun without sounding like gun-nut weirdos!

I you want to recapture a lot of what you enjoyed of the sport, give gallery rifle a go, competing with my .357 is almost as good fun as my .40 was and is very accessible.

Cheers,

Alex

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Mate, seems you didn't read my posts AT ALL, and it's an insult to me.

:p

Please accept my apology. Your statement which I quoted was "the problem is not a gun, but psycho."

This reminds me so much of the typical statement that the NRA and gun lovers always seem to use: "Guns don't kill people, people do", which is as stupid as saying land mines don't kill people, people do. Or bazookas don't kill people, people do. Or cars don't kill people, people do.

I'll quote from another source that explains it much better than I could.: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/logical-take/201302/guns-don-t-kill-people-people-do

"Cars don't kill people; people kill people."
Obviously cars should not be illegal, but notice that this has nothing to do with the fact that they are proximate causes. Of course, they should be regulated; I shouldn't be allowed to go onto the highway in a car with no brakes. But all of that has to do what cars are for (they are not made for killing people), what role they play in society (it couldn't function without them), etc. It's a complicated issue—one to which pointing out that that cars are merely proximate causes to some deaths contributes nothing.
So clearly the argument under consideration, and any other argument that merely points out that guns are proximate causes (e.g., "stop blaming the guns and start blaming the person") is fallacious. Since people can't seem to agree on what fallacy such arguments employ, I would like to give a name to the mistake I have identified within them: "the fallacy of mistaking the relevance of proximate causation."
So, should all guns be illegal? After all, like the bazooka, they do make killing people in mass easier to accomplish. Then again, like cars, using them for mass murder is not their intended function. Most people agree that they should at least be regulated (at the least, most think that all gun sales should require a background check). But how strictly should they be regulated? Perhaps very strictly. After all, states with stricter gun regulations have fewer gun related deaths. Then again, there may be philosophical issues related to the protection of liberty that trump such utilitarian concerns. It’s a complicated issue.

And that’s my point: It’s a complicated issue. There are lots of relevant factors involved, but the fact that guns are proximate causes isn't one of them. So the next time quotes the NRA slogan, "Guns don't kill people; people kill people," in an attempt to end a discussion about gun control, do me a favor: point out that they have “mistaken the relevance of proximate causation,†pause briefly to enjoy the confused look on their face, and then patiently explain the fallacy to them.

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
Phil, it was just a murder, and I hope this moron will get death penalty or life in prison.
For supporting our rights - KUDOS TO YOU, MATE!!!
I would vouch for your US Green Card.

Phil,
If you ever come to the states I'll take you shooting! :hehehe:

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
So, we all agree that we have the right to bear arms? :cheer:

i_like_shiney_things

24/10/13
I agree if by 'we' you mean anyone who has been checked and approved as a person suitable to bear arms then I completely agree :)

mzcool

I'm Pretty Popular
2/6/13
I agree that we have a right to bear arms, but I think that the founding fathers would have thought twice before putting that in there if they knew what kind of guns would be available today.

The guns of their day took like a minute to reload, after firing a single shot, so they probably had a different idea of what arms were than we do.

bradj

I'm Pretty Popular
21/7/12
I agree that we have a right to bear arms, but I think that the founding fathers would have thought twice before putting that in there if they knew what kind of guns would be available today.

The guns of their day took like a minute to reload, after firing a single shot, so they probably had a different idea of what arms were than we do.

A hammer or knife in the hands of a determined(crazy) person can kill a handful of people no different than a gun.

Its just an invalid point that high capacity guns are the root of the problem. AR-15, 9mm pistol, 6 shot revolver... not mater what, you can do a lot of harm with any gun that can be reloaded in a second or two.

The right to bear arms is the right to bear arms, this country has bigger problems to solve than getting ride of AR-15's, high capacity magazines etc.

Luthier

30/9/09
One crazy idiot in China entered kindergarten and killed something around 20 kids and few adults by knife. Go figure.