• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Announcing: Scupteo 3D printed tools for modding Rolex

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Gents,

First of all my apologies for not updating this post sooner. It appears that some of you have had rather dissapointing results from the 3D printing company that I set this up with.

For that I can only apologise unreservedly. I have been very very AFK from the hobby and from the forum for a while now and I was unaware of these problems.

As soon as I get a chance I will upload the files to an online storage location for people to download free of charge.

Thanks and regards,

~B.

Ko67

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
5/4/13
Awesome. What material do you think works best? Detail resin?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Yes, that's what I've opted to use for myself as well. It's not much more in price due to the small material cost of an item like this.

Ko67

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
5/4/13
Think about this technology for making custom spacer rings specific to a mvt and case...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Yup, that can be done as well. Very easily in face as long as you have measurements. But it being plastic it will be very light. A machined brass spacer will always be better.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yup, that can be done as well. Very easily in face as long as you have measurements. But it being plastic it will be very light. A machined brass spacer will always be better.
They have an aluminium powder, that will make a fine spacer ring. There are other firms who can print in brass for you if you prefer.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I'll have to look into it. See what I can come up with.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
They don't seem to make it easy to find out shipping charges without actually ordering. Anyone in the USA that orders, can you let us know what you pay for shipping?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
It's ok, you can add stuff to your basket and not be obligated to buy it. But it will allow you to see shipping charges I believe.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Yeah, I've seen a few projects done on homageforum as well.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Ok, hold off on any purchases please guys, there's an issue with the 3D design that wasn't a problem for the other company, but apparently is for these guys.

I have checked with the printing center and they have confirmed that in fact there is an issue with your 3D file there are un-closed contours detected.

This means that there are certain areas that are not closed correctly so the 3D printer does not know where to start or stop the printing.

This is why the object could not be printed.

I will have to revisit the design when I get a chance! :(

Ko67

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
5/4/13
Yep, it alerted me and would not let me complete the order...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Right, I've uploaded a brand new file that doesn't have the hollowed out structure. I've altered the material to only be available in plastic, or white plastic as the tolerance is finer than the detailed resin (0.5mm vs 1mm). This means that it should be no problem.

DialFeetToolV2

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Coming next, hopefully, a tool to help you align date wheel overlays. A massive thanks to Jerkstore for some excel sheet wizardry.

rogerdude

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/07
Bonesy. This is a great idea! Have you thought about adding guide holes for the Hamilton 917 and Molnija 3602 for the homage dial swap folks?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
If someone can give me accurate details on the position of the feet, yes.

rogerdude

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/07
Bonesey - I sent you via PM the technical specs with dimensions for 6497 and 6498.

It might also be useful to print the movement number next to each set of guides. Looks like Sculpteo will let us do it manually, but could be useful to roll into the default 3D model.

Again - This is an awesome project, one that i have been looking for.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
They don't seem to make it easy to find out shipping charges without actually ordering. Anyone in the USA that orders, can you let us know what you pay for shipping?

Shipping in US is $6.50.

I hate it when they take something that small that could be shipped for .50 and make it half the cost of the item. I know it's not much but it's the principal of the matter.