• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Major Rep Dealer Cop Out

MoreCowBell

5/9/13
This thread needs more cowbell!

tumblr_mbut4aRybM1ro8ysbo1_500.gif

Absolutely love THAT!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
IMHO, you need to be more open minded about our illegal hobby here. Your questioning is understandable but the motivation is draining. If I walked into a sex novelty shop to buy one of those dildo's on a ball, I sure as hell won't be asking what the quality is, how long will it last, is the color true to the original mold, will one enjoy it as much as the real deal, what is your return policy? I'm just going to ask, hey Mack, how much for the hobby horse?

Then again, pops always said, if you cannot say anything nice, don't say it all. So I will end with this.. Give the dealers a little slack and have some faith that they will get you a good watch and stand behind the sale. It isn't the end of the world. Enjoy.

airtime

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/11
ill return tomorrow after your tiny penises have compelled you to flame some more.

Time to apply my own advice re: being constructive.

Taze00,

While it's great to raise the issue around rep quality I think you should consider the following points. Most have already been mentioned by other members elsewhere in the thread:

1. We are dealing with illegal goods here. A 'rep' is just a nice way of saying counterfeit. The makers and dealers operate in an unforgiving environment and their motivations are nearly 100% monetary. They aren't taking these risks to create counterfeit goods for the benefit of any community, they are not motivated to create an object of beauty & quality just to show their level of craftsmanship, they are doing so for the benefit of their bank account.

2. Adding more quality control will reduce their profit.

3. The current tension between cost of manufacture & distribution, selling price point, quality of goods sold, buyer expectations has evolved to where it is over time. It's at the most appropriate point considering the environment as a whole.

4. The supply & demand equation has already reached its equilibrium point where the majority of buyers are happy with the level of quality control. There is little motivation for the makers to increase the level of quality.

5. You (like me) are a newbie / noob. By all means ask questions but give the more experienced members the benefit of the doubt. They bring to the conversation far greater knowledge and experience than we do. If they state 'thats the way it is' then thats probably true and not worth arguing further.

6. Buy some reps before complaining about the quality control. Gain real-world experience. The level isn't bad at all. Keep in mind you will always hear more complaints about problems than you will hear compliments/thanks for great products.

:cheers:

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Taze should have been around a few years ago. First, there were no QC pictures and no timegrapher results. For an extra $100 you could get a "genuine ETA movement" which was just an Asian clone with ETA stamps. For $50 extra you could get your rep water proofed which actually meant they took your $50 and hoped it didn't leak. We caught on to those scams and they have pretty much disappeared.

In many cases, I would bet the Asian movements are probably the ones that don't pass quality control at the legitimate movement factories. The go right out the back door to the rep factories.

The quality of the new reps is still head and shoulders above almost all the reps that were available back then, but the prices have also gone up with the quality. Now you even sometimes get watches with new and clean ETA movements. Before, they were mostly pulls and NOS that may have been sitting on a shelf for years. And, I've seen plenty of alleged ETA movements cobbled together with Chinese parts.

So most of your poll does really nothing but show how little you really know about the replica watch business. I especially like your idea the "Reputation is all in this business." That's a joke. Your dealing with criminals and the reality is "Money is all in this business". Reputation is only a means of selling more product, not a moral obligation. Too many of them still do the same crap until they get called out and then they, of course, blame it on the factories.

Rush2112

Renowned Member
27/4/13
I don't think this horse is quite dead so...there is a difference between what we wish the rep industry was like and reality. I'm sure we would all love great service and warranty, etc but it doesn't exist and won't exist. All that stuff costs money and if the prices go up too much who is going to buy reps instead of gen?

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
If one thinks there is room for improvement, then try going it all alone..Without the accountability of dealers to this forum, on many occasion we would all be hung out to dry.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08

SEE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss99
I bet he bitches about his coke dealer as well.
Why can't his quality be as consistent as that of Panadol or Vitamin C?

Ouch. Loss...of...credibility.

Stop while you're just a tad bit behind. :hehehe:
:facepalm: You joke, yes?

"I bet..." implies TB is imagining a hypothetical scenario, no where in that sentence does it strictly say he actually is a coke user, nor that he even has a dealer to bitch about quality to.

So that's a negative, ghostrider.

I can't believe I have to explain this, but the point was to draw a parallel to the rep trade, that's all. Cocaine = The "sometimes impure", or varying quality, illegal reps of very expensive luxury watches, produced in deplorable conditions and with absolutely no guarantees in place, and sold to us (the consumer) through a close knit network of dealers. Vitamin C = Off the shelf supplements sold legally and produced/packaged in a proper laboratory with every quality control assurance in place to make sure you don't get some bunk... er, vitamins.

Yes, the cocaine is far more risky, could be shit, and there's no one to complain to if/when you end up pulling the short straw, but if you just want to get high you're going to look past all those inevitabilities of the industry it's produced in, and you're going to buy the coke anyway.

The only difference between buying coke and reps is that we've established a trusted dealer network to ensure that if our watches are DOA, we can go to them and be presented with options to resolve the issue. There are refunds, and exchanges, spare parts sent free of charge, QC pics, Timegrapher pics, all sorts of assurances in place that are already basically luxuries in an illegal industry.

This is what the grizzled vets have already done for every new comer to the rep game. There doesn't have to be any of this extra shit, and there was a time not too long ago when there wasn't any of it, so the point they're all trying to make is simply this: Considering the legality of the whole operation, you've got it pretty damn good already.

Apparently I'm a "tweener" as I've lurked here too long to ask the same questions a hundred times, but I'm clearly no seasoned vet myself, so I hope you can take my comments without any unintended malice from my end. Just trying to explain what's going on here.
Now dowbs up there obviously has said comprehension skills. Thank you for possessing (un)common sense.

Taze should have been around a few years ago. First, there were no QC pictures and no timegrapher results. For an extra $100 you could get a "genuine ETA movement" which was just an Asian clone with ETA stamps. For $50 extra you could get your rep water proofed which actually meant they took your $50 and hoped it didn't leak. We caught on to those scams and they have pretty much disappeared.

In many cases, I would bet the Asian movements are probably the ones that don't pass quality control at the legitimate movement factories. The go right out the back door to the rep factories.

The quality of the new reps is still head and shoulders above almost all the reps that were available back then, but the prices have also gone up with the quality. Now you even sometimes get watches with new and clean ETA movements. Before, they were mostly pulls and NOS that may have been sitting on a shelf for years. And, I've seen plenty of alleged ETA movements cobbled together with Chinese parts.

So most of your poll does really nothing but show how little you really know about the replica watch business. I especially like your idea the "Reputation is all in this business." That's a joke. Your dealing with criminals and the reality is "Money is all in this business". Reputation is only a means of selling more product, not a moral obligation. Too many of them still do the same crap until they get called out and then they, of course, blame it on the factories.

^^^^THIS^^^^

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Hey, how about those Oregon Ducks, huh? Big win this weekend.

Yes big win for them but I'm still hurting from the thrashing the Seahawks gave the 49er's. It pains me to say this but if Seattle stays healthy they are the best team in the NFC. We will play them again in December and the season is early.

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
Sorry, a little late. Just got a relative out of harm's way. Fighting still continues but they're safe now.

Now on to our friend Tazer.

Hey all, I'm fairly new to the forums. I've been researching and reading for about a month or so now. Still haven't bought my first researched rep yet but I will eventually

Yes, you are NEW. You only have a strap to show for.

I see the same type of comments being made of the supposed Swiss Eta movements that are either not Swiss all together or refurbed or frankened movements. WE EXPECT MORE!!

For someone who has yet to buy his first rep, you expect a lot, huh.

These watches are not inexpensive by any means. The quality does not seem to match the price tag. I know that some people get "lucky" and never have problems. My point however is that someone shouldn't be considered lucky for getting WHAT THEY PAID FOR.

You will NOT GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR. You want a Rolex? Save up for a real Rolex. You want a replica Rolex? That’s all there is with the money you are willing to spend. I sense a feeling of entitlement...

I stand by my first post in this thread. It was meant not to offend you. It was meant to tell it straight: Better for you to get out of this game now if, for someone who hasn’t bought his first rep yet, you are starting with a list of expectations on this counterfeit hobby.

Reputation is everything in this business.
Yes. Something you have yet to earn.

If people are buying these watches just for the appearance... I feel that is very sad, and a disgrace to the watch collecting community. I would dare say that we ARE ABOVE THAT.

Exactly. So if you can buy your homage watches that look similar to the original expensive watches, why are you here in a rep forum? The least one can do is be honest: You want the branding that goes with it; don’t want to pay for the amount of the real stuff; yet demands the benefit that goes with it.

I'm very interested to see all your thoughts on this subject.

You’re not interested to see our thoughts. I was fine throwing one liners in the presumption that you will get what we were trying to convey. But you continued not to. You’re only interested to force your novice thoughts on some of us.

Your opinion is noted but one of the major points made is the price for reps are indeed as much as genuine watches and many times exceed them. It would seem people are not reading the entire post before drawing conclusions.

You’re not just paying for the quality. You’re paying for the higher brand recognition that you are trying to steal. If you’re only after quality, why aren’t you sticking with the homage Invicta of a Rolex submariner? This is the dark side. Let’s not kid ourselves.

I say again mate, this game may not be for you. I sense that you will only be frustrated in the long run. And while you are at it, kindly (and I say kindly) read and understand the previous posts of some members here and get it. They are not done to embarrass you, but to tell it to you as real as it is: this is just a game.

I have been homeless for the past 5 months due to reasons that are none of your buisness. Gunshots, murders, fights, etc were common and sometimes even a daily experience for me.

Really? Like how exactly? Worse as what a few members here know what I just went thru? You may not have the slightest idea.

Do you see me asking for a discount because of the turmoil that surrounded my life. NO because that's absurd. WHY? Because it has nothing to do with the price of anything.

Why, have you seen me beg for discount here? No. I can buy my shit. But I know when to ask and when to let go. You’re asking too much too soon. Those examples were given to share you an attribute: Perspective. If you can’t read between those lines, we’re not talking in the same page. That means it might be wiser not to sell, buy nor interact with you in the future.

I'm being regarded as unintelligent, having a lack of common sense, being naive, etc. when in reality it's quite the opposite. An intelligent person asks questions to learn more, an ignorant person assumes the answer or doesn't care at all to know.

No, you are not unintelligent. But your responses display naivety and ignorance.

Heck... One time some drunk fool pulled a knife on me while I was eating dinner in the cafeteria.

Uhm, knife? You’re kidding right?

I’m out of here. :bsmeter:

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Sorry, a little late. Just got a relative out of harm's way. Fighting still continues but they're safe now.

Now on to our friend Tazer.

Yes, you are NEW. You only have a strap to show for.

For someone who has yet to buy his first rep, you expect a lot, huh.

You will NOT GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR. You want a Rolex? Save up for a real Rolex. You want a replica Rolex? That’s all there is with the money you are willing to spend. I sense a feeling of entitlement...

I stand by my first post in this thread. It was meant not to offend you. It was meant to tell it straight: Better for you to get out of this game now if, for someone who hasn’t bought his first rep yet, you are starting with a list of expectations on this counterfeit hobby.

Yes. Something you have yet to earn.

Exactly. So if you can buy your homage watches that look similar to the original expensive watches, why are you here in a rep forum? The least one can do is be honest: You want the branding that goes with it; don’t want to pay for the amount of the real stuff; yet demands the benefit that goes with it.

You’re not interested to see our thoughts. I was fine throwing one liners in the presumption that you will get what we were trying to convey. But you continued not to. You’re only interested to force your novice thoughts on some of us.

You’re not just paying for the quality. You’re paying for the higher brand recognition that you are trying to steal. If you’re only after quality, why aren’t you sticking with the homage Invicta of a Rolex submariner? This is the dark side. Let’s not kid ourselves.

I say again mate, this game may not be for you. I sense that you will only be frustrated in the long run. And while you are at it, kindly (and I say kindly) read and understand the previous posts of some members here and get it. They are not done to embarrass you, but to tell it to you as real as it is: this is just a game.

Really? Like how exactly? Worse as what a few members here know what I just went thru? You may not have the slightest idea.

Why, have you seen me beg for discount here? No. I can buy my shit. But I know when to ask and when to let go. You’re asking too much too soon. Those examples were given to share you an attribute: Perspective. If you can’t read between those lines, we’re not talking in the same page. That means it might be wiser not to sell, buy nor interact with you in the future.

No, you are not unintelligent. But your responses display naivety and ignorance.

Uhm, knife? You’re kidding right?

I’m out of here. :bsmeter:

Post of the month.

Taze00

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
7/8/13
Arcadia, thanks
I have learned a lot from this post.

Whether I feel it's right or not I'm just gonna hafta let it go cause Ive gotta get me one of those Fiddys once they are released again.

I was having way too much fun Instigating BMW to quit that early haha

And yes I'm dead serious he pulled a knife on me!! The same week I was caught in the middle of gun fire from a drive by shooting lol. I even found one of the slugs that hit the brick wall of the shelter. It was nuts'o

watchack

Known Member
29/3/10
After 12 pages I was expecting klink to start chewing up noobs with his "fake of a fake" bit in yoda speak

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Arcadia, thanks
And yes I'm dead serious he pulled a knife on me!! The same week I was caught in the middle of gun fire from a drive by shooting lol. I even found one of the slugs that hit the brick wall of the shelter. It was nuts'o

Um, so? Arcadia has just been thru a minor civil war, I spent a great deal of my life being shot at on a daily basis, folk like Luth, Pat and dozens of others here have seen more death and destruction than you can point a stick at. Arcadia was being sarcastic ya dope!

BTW, the last guy to pull a knife on me isn't walking any longer, never, EVER take a knife to a gunfight.